Sponsored by:

How much for remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 08:15 PM
tw88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much for remote start?

Did a search and found out that the SmartKey system makes adding a remote start very tricky, and the Lexus OEM isn't available. So how much should I expect to spend to go the aftermarket route?
Old 02-17-07, 09:04 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Probably $350-600. But there are some trade-offs with aftermarket systems. First, you'll need a separate key fob for the remote (yes you'll need two). Second, the factory alarm systems are inoperable if you are using the remote start. Third, the after-market systems are not always compatible with the electronics in your car. You may get random error codes--this became such a problem that I had to have the system removed from my last car, at a cost of another $200. So, as much as I really want a remote start, I would never use any aftermarket, semi-compatible system. I'll wait for the Lexus version.
Old 02-17-07, 09:49 PM
TheLexSter
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Probably $350-600. But there are some trade-offs with aftermarket systems. First, you'll need a separate key fob for the remote (yes you'll need two). Second, the factory alarm systems are inoperable if you are using the remote start. Third, the after-market systems are not always compatible with the electronics in your car. You may get random error codes--this became such a problem that I had to have the system removed from my last car, at a cost of another $200. So, as much as I really want a remote start, I would never use any aftermarket, semi-compatible system. I'll wait for the Lexus version.
My dealer wants $799.00 and claims everything will work.
I asked if it was OEM, he replied no, it's audiovox. Think the sales guy is blowing smoke and I may have issues? He claims it will carry Lexus warranty if I go thru them??
Old 02-18-07, 12:45 AM
305Cane
Driver School Candidate

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....22&ModelID=150

fourth one down...looks pretty OEM to me...price still pending so who know when it'll be out...looks like it may even have a key shank (hmmm did not know thats what they were called)
Old 02-18-07, 07:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i am having one installed this comming week. had to postpone the last two appointments i had do to the snow. IS 350 still have the summer tires as we have an Acura that is driven in the snow. its costing me 300 and its just the starter not an alarm. they keep one of the keys and i was told and also read on here somewhere that they do something with the battery to make it work. the guy has done a lot of cars for people i know and they all seem to work. you do loose the 2nd key but i lease my cars and anyone can use the other key. i also know they install it so when the door is opened it kills the car.

hope this helps out. car goes in on this thursday if you want i should be able to tell you on Friday how it turns out.
Old 02-18-07, 08:35 AM
tw88
Rookie

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Yeah the electronics in these newer cars makes it tougher for the aftermarket guys. You're right, I wouldn't go aftermarket now b/c it seems people are getting them to work through creative wiring. Not sure how stable this would be in the long run.

However, dealer wanted $1000 for remote start + alarm. Most likely it's also an aftermarket solution. Price seems high but it would be covered under the car's warranty. What do you think?
Old 02-18-07, 10:35 AM
LEWIS250
Driver School Candidate

honestly i used to have a compustar alarm system with remote start in my 2k teg and im not sure if it was lousy wiring or just the life of the compustar but it started to go bad after just one year of use.. i mean the remote start wouldn't set half the time and the other half i got it to set , the next mourning it would start... very annoying being helpless.. again oem is TOP NOTCH.. IM PLANNING ON JUST WAITING..maybe might be able to squeeze into warrenty ha
Old 02-18-07, 07:59 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A little information from my recent experience:
I now have partially functional remote start on my 04 LS430 with smart key.
I talked to Best Buy, + Circuit City, plus a local independent. All wanted to use the same Viper/DEI "Avital" product. The all up cost was to be $240.00.

All offered a key sustitute module, for about $65, vs the old standard $25 key box that requires you to give up a key, or buy an extra. At the price, the module is a no brainer, and it works on the LS 430 just fine.

That said, my guy can't totally control the immobilizer on my car; so for now, I have to shut off the car as I appraoch it, and restart it when I get in ; it shows "s/t lock cable failure" in the data display, while running on the remote start. Module isn't the issue; old fashioned box w/ key behaved the same. Turning off smart key doesn't change anything.

My installer wants another crack at my car; and we'll do that soon. He wants to use a 10 sec diesel timer function thats standard in the Viper; he says he should be able to leave the car unprotected for 10 seconds after remote start, and should be able to outsmart the smart key and immobilizer in that way. I'll give him his shot at it; he's a young pro who wants to lick this thing. OBTW , he's the independent; maybe I wouldn't be getting the same "go for it" attitude at the big boxes.

So far I haven't found the complete solution for the 04 LS, after lots of web searching. Would love to hear from you if you've seen an 04 or later LS430 truly debugged and operating.
Old 02-19-07, 07:22 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll make an obvious observation, do you really, really need remote start??? It's a convenience feature so us slugs don't have to go out in the cold to start the car. True, here in TX we don't need remote start, although it might be nice in the heat of the summer. On one hand there are elements worrying that we'll be running out of fuel and all the cars are adding to global warming; yet on the other hand people are saying "To hell with that, I want remote start so I won't get cold in the winter". I'm not about to argue the merits of either, but it seems silly to monkey around with these complex systems just to add this feature which doesn't seem to work all that well. What am I missing?
Old 02-20-07, 12:34 AM
kratos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'll make an obvious observation, do you really, really need remote start??? It's a convenience feature so us slugs don't have to go out in the cold to start the car. True, here in TX we don't need remote start, although it might be nice in the heat of the summer. On one hand there are elements worrying that we'll be running out of fuel and all the cars are adding to global warming; yet on the other hand people are saying "To hell with that, I want remote start so I won't get cold in the winter". I'm not about to argue the merits of either, but it seems silly to monkey around with these complex systems just to add this feature which doesn't seem to work all that well. What am I missing?
Good point BUT...have you ever been to Canada? Its ridiculous how many of these remote starters I do per week here in vancouver and we're warm compared to the rest of the country. I run remote starts in both my SC400 and '96 Civic. I do because thats my business.

Anyways, I do Compustar remote start/alarm combos all the time and they are pretty much bullet-proof when done properly. Go to the higher end independents and they'll be able to do it no problem. Chances are they'll solder thier connections, hide the brain and siren too (if its an alarm).
Old 02-20-07, 04:54 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not just about hot and cold; I use remote start almost every time I use the car. Heard of "pre-oiling"?
To me, there's a good feeling to getting in the car when it's been running for say 15-30 seconds before I get in; I can drive away right now, knowing the engine has had a little time to circulate oil.
As to "doesn't seem to work all that well", not the case. The LS430 is my 5th car to have it, including 2 LS400's; all worked great up until the 430. I hope we can debug that one. Maybe my installers have been "doing it properly" up to now.
Old 02-20-07, 07:44 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I went the aftermarket route and had the shop install me a Viper ( off hand I cannot remember the model) alarm/remote start. Cuz of the complex circuitry and electronics, it took the guy about 3 1/2 hours to complete the install. Also, the factory alarm remained intact and my spare was not needed so I still have both keys.
Old 02-20-07, 08:03 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kratos
Good point BUT...have you ever been to Canada? Its ridiculous how many of these remote starters I do per week here in vancouver and we're warm compared to the rest of the country. I run remote starts in both my SC400 and '96 Civic. I do because thats my business.

Anyways, I do Compustar remote start/alarm combos all the time and they are pretty much bullet-proof when done properly. Go to the higher end independents and they'll be able to do it no problem. Chances are they'll solder thier connections, hide the brain and siren too (if its an alarm).
Actually I was born in Minnesota, lived in South Dakota, and just spent 2 1/2 years in Atlantic Canada, as well as last winter in Edmonton, so I do know a bit about the cold. Guess I just don't see the big deal in having it.

Originally Posted by nc356
It's not just about hot and cold; I use remote start almost every time I use the car. Heard of "pre-oiling"?
To me, there's a good feeling to getting in the car when it's been running for say 15-30 seconds before I get in; I can drive away right now, knowing the engine has had a little time to circulate oil.
As to "doesn't seem to work all that well", not the case. The LS430 is my 5th car to have it, including 2 LS400's; all worked great up until the 430. I hope we can debug that one. Maybe my installers have been "doing it properly" up to now.
Pre-oiling may make you feel good but it isn't going to extend a cars engine life to any extent. I've driven for many years and have never had an engine failure. Keep your oil changes up to date and you'll be fine. From what I've read on this board people are having difficulty integrating remote start with push button starting, which is where the industry is going right now. Perhaps I've misread all the posts.

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-20-07 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-20-07, 12:35 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

Around this part of the country (North Dakota) a lot of people install auto starts on their vehicles. When it gets down to -15 to -20 below zero it's nice to get in a warm vehicle. Many around here all have the AstroStart systems which are installed by both independants as well as Ford, GM, Chrysler and even Toyota dealers. I had a 98 GS300 which had the one AstroStart system in it and had no problems with it for the 5 years I had it. I now have the 2005 RX330 Thundercloud and have had no problems with that in the year and a half I've had it. Both of them required a special relay for Toyota/Lexus and had to use the Valet key in it. The current AstroStart I have is actually a two way transmitter. It confirms that your vehicle has received the signal to start and then verifies that it has started. When you hit the unlock button the normal unlock function of the Lexus is still maintained in that you have to open a door within 30 sec. or it will relock. Once you insert the key in the ignition and turn to normal run you have to step on the brake to override the autostart. Then you can shift into gear as normal. If you fail to insert the key and step on the brakes before attempting to shift gears it will turn off the vehicle and disable it. Then you just remove and reinsert the key and start the normal way. I also have the stardard AstroStart system in my Ford pickup but that one is just the regular autostart with no two way signal. As I said, when it's below zero it nice to start the vehicle and let it run for 10 minutes or so before you get in (the system will automatically shut off at 15 minutes).