Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Maybe I should...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-01, 08:46 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

On page 72. Starting aftermarket head unit stuff. File size for the book is now some 54 megs!

Percy
Old 12-26-01, 05:27 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa. thats about 20 pages in 2 days. at this rate you should be done by new years..::crossing fingers:::
Old 12-27-01, 01:47 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

This is right on time. I was quoted a high price for my audio install and it is changing my mind about having someone else do it. Your a true pioneer! I will take one!
Old 12-27-01, 08:23 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

With this book , will an idiot like me be able to install a system ?

lol

I'll pay 50 bucks if this book will walk me through an install .

You can title my copy of the book : Stereo Installs for Dummies .
Old 12-27-01, 08:33 PM
Percy

That's the purpose of this book. COMPLETE walkthrough, though there's not pictures in all of the steps. Very descriptive text if there's not any pics to see. And it's not on just teardown and installation of parts either. There's choosing speakers, reading the REAL specs in amps, picking the right head unit, interconnects and all of the HYPE EXPOSING facts.

Example...shopping for an amp. What do the REAL numbers tell you? Peak versus rms wattage. The TRICKS that the other guys use to get the HIGHER wattage numbers. Explaining signal to noise ratio, distortion and HOW the other guys measure to get the "good numbers" but can RARELY perform when put up to the test.

Speakers. What the OTHER GUYS won't tell you. MB QUART Q series especially. Dynaudio is the MODEL of what a company should do for their speakers. No holds barred for them, complete and PUBLICLY AVAILABLE distortion charts, unlike "brand M". If they don't publish everything then they're HIDING somethings. Or in the case of many speaker companies, MANY things.

As for the "stereo install for dummies", I wouldn't go that far. I'd have to change the cover to black and yellow...that'd mess everything up, especially the nice cool picture that I have for the cover!

Progress report... on page 76 right now. Still discussing the ins and outs of head unit features and selection. I'd figure about mid 80's to mid 90 pages for the entire book, maybe more. There's alot of reading and the people that are hooked on certain brand types won't like me, but it's the REAL deal here. No HYPE.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Percy
Old 12-28-01, 07:44 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats awsome dude! i was wondering.... could i order it and you could send it to me VIA the internet? that would be fine i could print whatever i needed. save you publishing cost... how much you think it will be? also would the pics be in color this way? thanks man

p.s. you're doing an AWSOME job!!! i've never seen someone so commited to helping other people!!
Old 12-28-01, 08:22 AM
Percy

Sasha,

The file size is going to be well over 60 megs!!! I don't have a T1, ISDN or T3 (darn) so sending it over the web is out of the question. It would take too long for me to upload!

I'll just keep it simple. Nice folder/binder and b&w printing. Kinko's wants to RAPE you on color costs and it's not worth it.

Still targeting the cost between 20 and 30, more like 24 plus shipping but it's still not final. Probably the best 20 to 30 bucks spent in regards to the GS audio system.

Percy

Originally posted by LexusRules
thats awsome dude! i was wondering.... could i order it and you could send it to me VIA the internet? that would be fine i could print whatever i needed. save you publishing cost... how much you think it will be? also would the pics be in color this way? thanks man

p.s. you're doing an AWSOME job!!! i've never seen someone so commited to helping other people!!
Old 12-28-01, 09:26 AM
victor
Rookie

Exclamation

Hey Percy!
I just came up with an excellent idea!!!! It should probably bing me 50% of the proceeds...........

How about you include 5( actual size foldouts) "templetes" if you will for the two front door baffles and the two rear baffles and one templete for the Headunit. So that when we cut out the baffles and the headunit faceplate we will get it right the first time!!!!!!!

Just a suggestion.............What do you think?

Victor
Old 12-28-01, 09:56 AM
Percy

Victor,

Already thought of that the 1st day I was typing. Decided against the template idea for the headunit so I went with more precise measurements and a step by step drawing of how to lay out everything. Also, Pagemaker doesn't allow a perfect 100% for page transfer so some of the sizing would be lost. Didn't want to take that chance so I did the next best thing...accurate descriptions.

Percy
Old 12-28-01, 10:18 AM
victor
Rookie

All bases covered. "You are Big man on Campus"
Can't touch you..........

How about this?

"Come to Florida and do my install."

You will notice there is no question mark at the end of that sentence........
It is a STATEMENT.

I will definitley want a copy of the Book if you aren't coming here to hook up my car!

Victor

Old 12-28-01, 08:46 PM
Percy

Victor,

I charge a 340 dollar per hour labor rate, plus expenses, plus travel, First class seating on a nice DC10 with Playboy female flight attendants. Notice that didn't end in a question mark either!

status report...

On page 96 (!!!), working on Mean Gene's system pictures for competition. File size is now some 89 megs. Still have one more section to go on modding equipment. This thing is going to be well over 100+ pages.

Percy
Old 12-28-01, 11:12 PM
victor
Rookie

I will do my own install if you finish the book soon enough. It is very cool that you are doing this.

Good looking out!

Victor
Old 12-29-01, 10:16 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to be awesome, put me down for one!!!
Old 12-29-01, 12:46 PM
Percy

Final size...
106 pages, 100 meg file size.

Have to proof read tonight.

Checkered flag in sight!

Percy
Will let you know on the cost, more than like 24 Plus shipping, depending on how you want it shipped!
Old 12-29-01, 05:46 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

proof reading 106 pages :eek:

Quick Reply: Maybe I should...