Sponsored by:

Fitting aftermarket CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 01:50 AM
peekay64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting aftermarket CD changer

Recently bought a 93 LS400. I knew the CD Changer in the boot was missing, but I didn't expect it to be so difficult to fit anything else. It has a standard Pioneer system, and all the wiring is still in place.

I've been looking around through some of the forums and stuff, but can't find a straight answer. I'm not too keen on getting my hands on an old reconditioned 93-94 unit, and the Lexus dealer here in the Netherlands, want to charge me close to 1300 dollars for a warranted recon unit. So you can imagine, that's not on the cards: I just want to hook up a modern/stock Cd-changer.

1/ Is it possible to fiddle the wiring/plugs of the existing wiring, and hook up a standard off the shelf Pioneer unit? If so, where can I find tips/wiring diagram to do so...

2/ I can get my hands on a working cd changer out of a 93 GS300.... Would that work perhaps?

Any info much appreciated!
Old 02-25-07, 10:49 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation

q1 no this is not a standard pioneer changer. the electronics were changed so no other cd changer can not be hooked up to the headunit. there are 3 comminication wires that talk to the headunt and all other cd changers only have one wire so not possible to rig it in any way. the adapter companies pie blitz soundgate have never made even 1 adapter that worked in any first genration lexus to make it possible to use an aftermarket headunit.
q2 yes the gs300 changer will work as long as it has the same plugs 10 pin 6 pin as your ls400. the 93 94 ls400 changer was third genration pioneer and the mechanism (not electronics)is still used in 740i bmw in the 2004 model . the gs300 12 disc changer is a first generation made fujitsu a company that cant make very good cd changers as witnessed by the 2nd generation 98 to 2000 lx470 and third genration 2001 to 2004 is300 disasters. pioneer ended up supplying those models for lexus. so i dont recommend any cd changers made by fujitsu.
fujitsu makes very good navigation lcd screens, better than pioneer ,so every company is not good at everything.