Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Hacked into CD changer signal with Ipod signal---

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 05:38 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will definitely be using a line level signal driver-- but it won't need much amplification -- just a 3v will work -- and it won't need much gain either--

I just want about 3db amplification, not any more than that-- (most are capable of driving and extra 12db on your low level inputs, and 3db equates to double the volume-- so amps go boom, smoke, spark, then die with too much voltage)

This will take a little bit of caution as to not overdo the voltage-- but just enough will give a good enough result to retain factory amps for mids and hi's for the time being, especially if you upgrade to some 6.5's in the factory locations in place of the 4" speakers presently there-- 6.5's will most likely be at least 3~5db more sensitive, and give a HUGE increase in output per watt over the oem's --

People go crazy with amps in cars (me ) but we should really think about the fact that we're blasting about 80~120 watts at our heads from just 3 or 4 ft away--- Factory amps are powerful enough that with the right replacement speakers, you'll not only have some very good sound quality, you'll have a system loud enough to cause hearing damage with long periods of listening--

Notwithstanding--

I do think the factory sub/amp combo could seriously use an upgrade-- but not too much-- I like a system that plays classical and jazz clean and detailed-- that way any music will sound good and well balanced--