Sponsored by:

Stereo System In My Mind

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 05:30 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stereo System In My Mind

hey guys im not sure yet if im going to get wheels or a GOOD stereo install so im just gonna ask you guys about some stuff

whats the totall price of a all the Dynaudio speakers, i mean rear front and tweeters?

whats a good SQ free air sub?

what are some good looking amps that MAKE POWER

im thinking about doing my system in two stages. First stage is just a Free air sub and new speakers, plus one amp to drive the speakers and one amp to drive the sub. Then later ill add 2 12's and a crazy trunk setup and head unit / screens etc.
Old 11-19-01, 07:16 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sasha,

For the Dyns alone you're looking at a bit over 1k$. Sub...I still like either the Dyn 12 incher or the JL IB series. Amps...how much power are you looking for?

Percy
Old 11-19-01, 12:23 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo system

i cant help you directly with your questions but i can offer you an incredible deal. im selling my system. it is an audiobahn triple 10'' bandpass sub. and a kenwood 600watt amp. great deal low price. anyone interested email me at DJREDEX@aol.com, thanks.
Old 11-19-01, 03:20 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd suggest Focal or IDMAX subs. Heard both of them in freeair and all I can say is WOW.
Old 11-20-01, 01:19 PM
quocman555
Rookie

Cool

I would suggest Focal too. They are high quality speakers that have good tight midbass. I am running a Focal 13-inch sub in a free-air setup. If your interested in this I know a place that won't charge you an arm and a leg for this stuff. I have seen people with dynaudio switch to Focal. Goodluck on your stereo system.
Old 11-20-01, 02:31 PM
Percy

And I've seen people go from Focal to Dyns. The dispersion pattern is better and the location/placements of the GS speakers are better than most, especially in tweeter locations. Perfect for the Dyns. The Focal kevlar tweets sound so-so to my ears.

Percy
Old 11-20-01, 02:44 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

well i think i want Dyns for my speakers... free air sub im thinking around 500watts RMS.. real CRISP since its pointing directly into the cabin im guessing that distortion will be much easier to hear so probobly a 12" CRISP sub, with enough power to back that up someone plz give me a good combo.. not dyn sub tho thats too expensive most likely.. but if it really really is the best ill consider it, what amp would mate good?
Old 11-20-01, 07:36 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Some may find focal tweets too harsh or loud if you have them blasting in your ear. I'd go with Dynaudios sice Percy has already tested out the application.

How much can you get Focal subs for?
Old 11-20-01, 08:27 PM
Percy

Originally posted by LexusRules
well i think i want Dyns for my speakers... free air sub im thinking around 500watts RMS.. real CRISP since its pointing directly into the cabin im guessing that distortion will be much easier to hear so probobly a 12" CRISP sub, with enough power to back that up someone plz give me a good combo.. not dyn sub tho thats too expensive most likely.. but if it really really is the best ill consider it, what amp would mate good?
Sasha,

The Dyn sub shouldn't be too bad on price. I think it was at 299 msrp. Could be wrong though and I'll try to do some more digging...

Percy
Old 11-21-01, 03:23 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Also there are ARC Audio subs out there (improved IDQ), then I found out that rainbow subs can easily compete with Focal in quality (not sure about Vels). One of my online friends runs ARCs.
Old 11-21-01, 04:15 AM
quocman555
Rookie

Talking

I think retail for a focal 13-inch sub (model #33k) is $700, but I can get them for $380. They have a really cool magnet set-up that you have to see. I think that a fellow team lexstacy member has it in his car. He drives a silver gs300 and his name is Alan (aroberto). Ask him for his opinion.
Old 11-21-01, 04:59 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

yea man thats awsome i was looking an 11" is 889.95 from Sound Domain if you could get me it for cheaper i wouldreally appreciate that! I wanted the yellow one but the yellow one doesn't offer as high sound quality...

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/FOC27WX

Thats the one i want because i think it will be better

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/FOC27K

This is the one i want cause it looks better and can handle more power and is much cheaper... but SQ is most important to me for a free air sub that will be shooting directly into the cabin.. please tell me what you guys think

Here is the amp i have in mind:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCG18002

Looks like its 400 but the list price is 800, i think Sound Domain gets really good deals from Rockford Fosgate, would this amp be any good? i figure bridged at 4 ohms it would put out at least 300 Watts RMS, the bridged RMS power for the thing is 800 but i think thats for 2 ohms and my sub can't handle that.. please help me out guys. i wanted a 300x2 Amp but they only have the 400x2 or 250x2 so... let me know thanks
Old 11-21-01, 05:04 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i just looked on the other page would this 300watt RMS 1 Channel Sub amp be any good for me?

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCBD15001

one other thing, how can i get RCAs from my head unit? does our head unit even offer RCA hook ups? i think thats all this amp takes... is there something to convert it? thanks guys

also, if the stock amp doens't have to drive the sub any more, more power will be going to the 6 other speakers right?? so those in turn will get better as well?
Old 11-21-01, 11:35 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Ive heard Allans car. Pretty impressive job hes done considering he installed everything on his own. I really liked his horns setup too. I will be going to ID pretty soon so I will ask them about the best setup for an LS.

I won't be trading my Rainbows for a while though.
Old 11-21-01, 05:35 PM
quocman555
Rookie

Sasha I checked for you if you want the 27wx it is going to be $520 and the 33wx is $660. I think you should go with a better amp than the Rockford Fosgate. You should also look into getting a headunit.

Quick Reply: Stereo System In My Mind