Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

RX300 audio control - what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 03:32 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX300 audio control - what should i do?

Hey guys..
I have an 1999 RX300 and I'm really interested in upgrading the audio in the car. I'm looking for a way to get improved sound quality/loudness without changing the factory setup too much. Right now I have two JL Audio 12w3's on a MTX Audio MXA6001 monoblock class D. I had them installed at Bestbuy because I really wasn't sure how to do it myself. So far they play great. My problem is that I want more volume control on them. Right now I have two ways to control the volume. On the factory headunit I can only adjust the volume of the stock speakers. The subwoofer is hooked in seperately. I'm playing all my music from my iPod through one of those cassette things. If I turn up the sound on the iPod itself, the subwoofers and the stock speakers play louder, but I start to get static at this point.

I know that buying an aftermarket headunit allows pretty much full control on bass, treble etc. levels. I was looking into buying a head unit and having it sit in the glove compartment but I'm not sure if I can hook up the factory wires to it in there. Would this be my best bet? I was also looking into JL's CleanSweep to improve the sound of the factory speakers but I don't know too much about the actually benefits of one.

I'm not quite sure if upgrading the speakers would be a good investment at this point but I'm considering it. I don't really want to buy another amp to power the speakers either.

To sum all this up, what is the best way to control the subwoofer and speaker volumes without spending a ton of money and messing with the factory stuff too much?

here's pics umm for no reason hah

Old 03-04-07, 03:53 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your MTX amp, which is a good one btw-- has an option for an EBC -- or an external bass controller-- about $40, and you run the wire from the dash with a ****-- this controls the bass boost or the gain, I forgot which-- prob the gain--

As far as more volume from your speakers-- not the subs-- you have factory amps I'm pretty sure, and by just replacing your factory speakers with some more sensitive 6.5's, like some Boston Acoustics Neo series (with neo magnets) should give you a good boost in audio level while retaining your factory amp--

Another option, after you install aftermarket speakers, (components would be even better up front than coax's) you can replace the factory 4 channel amp that may be 25x4 rms, with something more like a 45x4 -- MTX thunder amps from the old school are possibly better than the new ones, and are really easy to come by for $60 for like a 4200x -- that's a 50x4 @ 4 ohms, that actually birth sheets at about 67x4 @ 4ohms, and 80x4 @ 2 ohms -- but you'll want to keep it at a 4 ohm load for sq and believe me, it will be loud enough--

If you look at my car audio site (link in sig) you'll see my install with all mtx amps-- and I promise you the sq is rivalled only by systems that cost several thousand dollars-- that's a gurantee-- and even then the difference is most likely inaudible to the ear, and only picked up on a meter-- (a very good meter)

This aftermarket option also allows you to set the crossover on your mids, which your oem amp prob. doesn't have -- the x-over on the MTX thunder amp is 18db/ocatve too, so you can set it a bit lower than a 12db, and get the mids playing right down to their f3 (3db downpoint-- where the output drops drastically, and power turns into heat turns into distortion, turns into you buying new speakers) :thumbdown:
Old 03-04-07, 04:06 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the Amp came with a remote gain control but I haven't tried using it yet. I read the manual and it didn't look like something I wanted to mess with. But yeah thanks for the information, I'm looking at your stie now
Old 03-04-07, 04:36 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an MTX amplifier powering a 12w1v2 and I installed the remote bass **** next to the cigarette lighter (Where the TRAC button would go I assume for FWD models). The **** doesn't control GAIN as a whole instead it is more of volume **** for the set GAIN you have on the amp. It helps a lot when you're using mp3's which you are right now. It was easy to install I popped off the wood trim and the bottom plastic cover came off, popped that out and drilled hole, reverse process.

-TC
Attached Thumbnails RX300 audio control - what should i do?-p3040001.jpg  
Old 03-04-07, 04:39 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Pic of where I ran the wiring, it goes underneath the steering wheel and then into the driver's side door sill, all the way to the back seat where the amplifier is.
Attached Thumbnails RX300 audio control - what should i do?-p3040005.jpg  
Old 03-04-07, 04:43 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Last pic, where my amp is. Rear left passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails RX300 audio control - what should i do?-p3040010.jpg  
Old 03-04-07, 05:01 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

thanks man.. i'm gonna go put mine in there right now lol thanks for the pics too. btw. do you have any other aftermarket things in your car? like speakers or headunit because i'm really not sure what to do with mine.
Old 03-04-07, 05:13 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

As far as In Car Entertainment, the JL W1v2 and MTX TC3002 is all I have, I want components for the front and coaxials for the rear, was gonna grab some Infinity Reference models but haven't had the time to do that.

-Tc
Old 03-04-07, 05:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the reason your getting static at high volumes is more because ur running a tape adapter.

limited frequency range, same as if u turn vol. up on the radio (am/fm)
Old 03-04-07, 08:51 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

haha yeah i know that.. so im guessing I need to put in an extra head unit for the sound. I can't replace the factory unit so I guess its going into the center console.
Which reminds me.. are there any units without a cd-player, I don't really need or want a cd-player because it makes it too long (depth). I'm only really looking for a aux-in port and possibly an iPod ready console.
thanks for your advice in advance
Old 03-04-07, 09:16 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

this is what i did ... i had to cut the radio out and its really pain in the *** to do it... another thing is you gotta find a place to put the radio so that you can still use the a/c controls... i put my in the glovebox for now until i have alot of free time to relocate it.
Attached Thumbnails RX300 audio control - what should i do?-cimg0166.jpg  
Old 03-04-07, 09:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

wat a day or two for my aux. in mod.

it SHOULD work on the RX300 o.O
Old 03-04-07, 09:55 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I actually remember when I plugged the ebc in that it would push the level over and above where the gain was set-- compared to without the **** being installed-- I will actually correct my previous assumption to say that I believe it adds a 12 or 18db boost at full setting-- either way, they are very nice to have--

Sounds like some other guys are pretty knowledgeable and are chiming in with some good advice for ya too--

The installation of an ebc is very easy to say the least-- the door sill plates should either pop off or unscrew then pop off-- same for front and rear, and then you just tuck the wire under the carpet and replace the trim pieces-- Fishing the wire through the radio console is a wrestling match with your vehicle I bet-- but you can do it...

Good luck--

Soon enough, my site will have the SC on there, but the install will take me a while, as I don't know if I'll go three way again or not--

I really want to keep the 3 way if possible-- and just keep the factory amp on the rear speaks--

Does anyone have experience with the SC400-- I'm wondering what's behind the kick panels--

Is there any open space back there at all?? Enough for a 4" mid to flush mount or is it packed with ecu's and computer modules?????

Thanks -- I haven't even gotten that far with it yet-- I've been busy with mechanical issues--
Old 03-04-07, 09:56 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
wat a day or two for my aux. in mod.

it SHOULD work on the RX300 o.O
Another good option if you do have a changer--- Just no heads up control unless you figure out how to interface the TX wires with your ipod--
Old 03-05-07, 02:04 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

btw anyone happen to know the location of the factory amplifier on the Rx300, if it's either in the trunk or under the dash... and are there such things as headunits without the CD-Deck. ( a very thin head unit is what i'm looking for).

and sgv_bum: did you install all the speakers/wires/amp yourself? if so how difficult was it to remove the doorpanels and configure your head unit

i've decided to just go ahead and put in new speakers... I measure 6" for the front doors and 5.25" back doors with 1" tweeters... is this correct?

Last edited by tom44vip; 03-05-07 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: RX300 audio control - what should i do?