Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08 | 10:16 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

a tip tho, i would DEFINITELY buy a crimper and some butt connectors, those screw caps do NOT work well in cars, and become undone from vibrations. if they short you can say goodbye to anything they are connected to...
Thanks, I'm going to upgrade to those connectors today...I think that may be the reason the signal still has a tiny bit of hum/fuzz in the background.
It's sort of weird....doing this took over my FM/AM radio too (mp3 player plays through that too)....I thought it would just override my CD changer?
No biggie, just unexpected.
Old 08-11-08 | 01:29 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

I just built one and put it in. It sounds great. Almost CD quality. When I watch movies now, there is no more fuzz from the FM modulator!
Old 08-11-08 | 03:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
I just built one and put it in. It sounds great. Almost CD quality. When I watch movies now, there is no more fuzz from the FM modulator!
congrats post pics
Old 08-12-08 | 06:40 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for the numerous pictures.

I didn't take pictures of the auxillary relays build. However, here is a picture of the relays hidden next to the stock amplifier.

Navigation interface:

Testing of Alpine DVD player:

Headrests:

Alpine under seat:

Remote eye for DVD player coming out of right vent (sitting at upper-right hand corner of vent):
Old 08-12-08 | 10:56 AM
basketthis
Pole Position

Default found this out doing my own car

Great writeup PureDrifter!!

Just have an update on all of the es300 models with the cd changer in the trunk. I did this in my car and I found the correct wire colors in the back of the radio in the cd changer input harness. I found that hooking it up at the amp created the same problems that lex bubble was talking about. I did some looking around and found the cd changer input behind the radio. I wired everything back there, mounted my switch under my driver's side dash somewhat stealthy. I used a Belkin direct plug in charger cord and it has a headphone jack at the cigarette lighter end so that you can plug a headphone jack into your aux port on your radio. I cut the wires going to the aux output on the plug before the jack and just wired them into the relays schematics. In doing this I was able to have the cord plug directly into the bottom and charge the ipod when the car is on and have non-fading low level output/input (depending on how you look at it) into the factory radio into the low level cd changer wires. It works beautifully! Especially since I don't use the headphone jack at the top of the ipod and just plug in the ipod cord as if I were plugging it into the computer or something. And, with the mount, I couldn't ask for more. Much credit to you guys!!!

I did a little research myself on the Belkin adapter. If anyone is interested in how to wire one up so that you can have it charge and have a non-fading audio output just let me know.

I have also done this install in a SC400. Works great. Had to do that one at the cd changer in the trunk. Turned out great. It was actually just an aux input we did with a headphone jack. So, nothing fancy, but it did the job!

I quoted the original posts of the wrong info. Oh. The wire colors are correct. So basically the same thing Pure was saying, just behind the radio. It is a 12 pin harness. The wire colors are correct. Do not hook it up at the amp because you will have the same problems as lex bubble. Hope this helps!!

Originally Posted by lex bubble
First off, BIG thanks to Pure Drifter for the write up. I've been waiting for a solution like this for a while. I took stab at the install this weekend and ran into a couple of issues (due in part to my lack of patience for the remaining instructions on the install). Here are the details of my situation:

I have a '94 ES300 with a bone-stock factory Pioneer system with the 6-disc changer in the trunk. I gathered the parts together, started with the install, and realized that my factory amp has different connectors than the one's pictured in the write up (no real surprise here). I Google'd for the amp harness diagram to no avail. So, determined to continue...I tried to figure out which wires were the right ones to use. I found some that work, but I don't think I found the right ones. Here's where I'm at.

First issue: The ipod will play through all of the speakers in the stereo. However, the volume is either on or off...no in between. Regardless of whether or not I adjust the volume on the ipod. If I turn the volume **** on the stereo to anything more than around 20%, the music playing through the ipod is heard (at a constant volume that doesn't increase as the **** is turned). Less than 20 % it's dead silent. Also, the left to right and front to rear adjustment ***** no longer make changes as I turn them.

Second Issue: I bought the ipod harness pictured a few pages ago. But I bought the one with the power/ground wire so I can charge it while it plays in the car. My ipod battery won't hold a charge at all, and needs a power source to be played for more than 2 minutes. I found a 12v switched source on the amp's harness and wired the red power wire on the ipod adapter harness, and the ipod see's an input of power...but it will not charge the ipod. (I know the issue is not with the ipod, because I can use the USB, wall, and cigarette lighter plugs to charge it)

Third issue: My stereo, cassette, cd changer no longer generate any sound when they're chosen as the source.

I obviously took a wrong turn somewhere. My amp has 2 plugs on it (and not 3). If anyone can post up the '94 ES300 factory amp pinout and any other useful info, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sry i cant help with the charging issue, potential for 12v mayhem was the primary reason i chose not to go with an unproven cable.

for a 94 ES300 w/factory CD changer you need to intercept the following wires (this is on the amp, not the changer)

these wires are on the smaller of the 2 connectors on your amp, should have a total of 12 wires.

signal____clr______pin
CDR+____Green____1
CDL+____Blue______2
CDR-____Violet_____6
CDL-____Pink______7

my guess as to why u cant switch sources and why ur having issues with volume is because u tapped the wrong wires, i accidently tapped a data wire between my changer and my hu during development and had similar issues.

any more questions just post them up
Originally Posted by lex bubble

Above is a (bad cell phone) pic of the smaller of the 2 harness' on my factory amp. The pink/blue wire would be pin 1 (I believe?). Could you cross reference the factory diagram that you have? The pinout that you provided (thanks, by the way) doesn't match what I'm seeing on my factory amp. Or I made a mistake and I'm looking at the wrong harness. Thanks in advance for all you help, bro.

Just to reiterate, I have a '94 ES300 with the factory stereo/6-disc changer.

Thanks!
i think u have hte wrong harness, the one u need is the one that has a total of 12 wires on it, with some blank spots.

MAY be orange but dont know on the ES. post a pic of hte other connector
Old 08-14-08 | 02:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

congrats guys, glad to see it all went well
Old 08-31-08 | 04:58 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

I have an 1998 ES300 in my garage all taken apart. The amp is behind the glove box, right next to the 6 disc CD changer. What plug and wire colors am I supposed to hack into?
Old 08-31-08 | 05:15 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

has anyone figured out to wire the switch as an automatic source switch? aka plug in or hit play on mp3 player/dvd player source other than cd player and it starts right up

i read threw everything and i'm pretty sure i did not see that question answered
Old 09-01-08 | 11:02 AM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jriggs
has anyone figured out to wire the switch as an automatic source switch? aka plug in or hit play on mp3 player/dvd player source other than cd player and it starts right up

i read threw everything and i'm pretty sure i did not see that question answered
As far as I know, all of the "automatic switch wires" are all internal. They are actually inside the unit to tell it to switch between sources. It would require disassembling the whole unit and experimenting on one. The only one that I would guess isn't internal would be the CD changer control button since it has to send signal to the trunk (for most) to tell it to turn on when selected. If anyone knows any different or has other ideas, please correct me.
Old 09-01-08 | 12:19 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

i meant instead of going from A (CD changer) to B (ipod/mp3 player) by throwing a switch manual. being able to push the CD changer button activate it then simply plugging in B not having to actually throw a switch. Not hit play on B and have the head unit go from radio to B (which it sounds like thats what you thought i meant)
Old 09-01-08 | 01:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
I have an 1998 ES300 in my garage all taken apart. The amp is behind the glove box, right next to the 6 disc CD changer. What plug and wire colors am I supposed to hack into?
i'l see if i can get you some info today, pioneer or nak?
Old 09-01-08 | 01:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

i meant instead of going from A (CD changer) to B (ipod/mp3 player) by throwing a switch manual. being able to push the CD changer button activate it then simply plugging in B not having to actually throw a switch. Not hit play on B and have the head unit go from radio to B (which it sounds like thats what you thought i meant)
there are switches like that available, 1/8th in jacks that will act as a switch once something is inserted, but you would not be able to use the preamp output of the ipod, and sound quality will be compromised.
Old 09-01-08 | 03:57 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

there are switches like that available, 1/8th in jacks that will act as a switch once something is inserted, but you would not be able to use the preamp output of the ipod, and sound quality will be compromised.
well as of now I'm not running with the preouts and it sounds good enough, its just running off the headphone jack and sounds as good as the CD changer, any chance of a where to find those I've checked but don't know exactly what to search for and the guy at the local electronics stores look at me like I'm crazy when i try to explain it to them.
Old 09-01-08 | 08:58 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Yep. That's what I thought you meant....
Good job on thinking outside of the box and trying something new though. Let us know how it goes. Kinda like I did when I did mine that charges and uses the "ipod plug". Or, like PureDrift did with the whole write-up. LOL. Either way, let us know. Pics would be nice too.
Old 09-02-08 | 01:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

well as of now I'm not running with the preouts and it sounds good enough, its just running off the headphone jack and sounds as good as the CD changer, any chance of a where to find those I've checked but don't know exactly what to search for and the guy at the local electronics stores look at me like I'm crazy when i try to explain it to them.
because what you want is something that would be a special order part from an electronics catalog like mouser.

preamp output will ALWAYS give you better quality sound, if you're satisfied with the quality post-amp then that's a personal choice.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo