Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 12:55 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

called mouser for the part no luck.

so if anyone knows of a places thats sells 1/8th in jacks that will act as a switch once something is inserted allowing the circuit to be completed please let me know, I'm searching buts kinda half *** searching for it

yeah i know that pre amp will be of better quality, but the sound quality I'm getting coming off the headphone jack is good enough i can't tell between it and the CD changer so it works
Old 09-03-08, 05:29 AM
DoubleA
Driver School Candidate

I've been following this thread for a while and just went out and got all the parts I need to do an install on my 2001 ES300 which has the CD Changer in the Glove. Should I not be doing this install at the amp?? And any idea which wires I should be using?? Before reading past page 1 of this thread I was ready for my walk in the park but now I'm all confused and nervous heh. Any help would be great, glad to see a forum where everyone gets along and works together!
Old 09-03-08, 01:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA
I've been following this thread for a while and just went out and got all the parts I need to do an install on my 2001 ES300 which has the CD Changer in the Glove. Should I not be doing this install at the amp?? And any idea which wires I should be using?? Before reading past page 1 of this thread I was ready for my walk in the park but now I'm all confused and nervous heh. Any help would be great, glad to see a forum where everyone gets along and works together!
it depends if you have a nakamichi car or not, i can't confirm since i can only find wiring diagrams for the nak-equipped ES.

if you aren't sure cut into it behind the changer.
from what i can see the pinout is:
signal___color___pin
cd R+____black___1
cd L+____Red_____2
cd R-____White___6
cd L-____Green___7
Old 09-03-08, 08:44 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to connect my XM car radio to my 94 LS400 w/Nak using this method. I read through most of this long post, but I am still unsure about one thing. When I press "CD", will it automatically go to whatever I have attached through the Aux method and never to the CD changer, even if there's no signal from the Aux?
Old 09-03-08, 08:52 PM
rsg
Pole Position

One other question--the XM radio came with an FM transmitter that has a part which snaps on to the car's FM antenna. Of course, it won't snap onto the LS400's automatically retracting antenna. Is there a workaround to get the FM transmitter to work well with this car?
Old 09-03-08, 09:41 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rsg
I want to connect my XM car radio to my 94 LS400 w/Nak using this method. I read through most of this long post, but I am still unsure about one thing. When I press "CD", will it automatically go to whatever I have attached through the Aux method and never to the CD changer, even if there's no signal from the Aux?
Originally Posted by rsg
One other question--the XM radio came with an FM transmitter that has a part which snaps on to the car's FM antenna. Of course, it won't snap onto the LS400's automatically retracting antenna. Is there a workaround to get the FM transmitter to work well with this car?
I'm sure you could apply some of the methods in this writeup to what you are trying to accomplish. For best results, I suggest starting your own thread about the topic though. It sounds like you are trying to do something specific with an XM radio. Probably a little out of the realm of building and hardwiring an aux input. I understand your concept, just think you would get a better response with your own thread. Good luck. And, oh yeah, if your XM unit has an audio out port, that's the one you want to use. That should get you started. Don't even mess with the FM transmitter in your case.

Edit: Once you do accomplish the aux input though, update us on the results. Hope everything works out!
Old 09-03-08, 11:46 PM
DoubleA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
it depends if you have a nakamichi car or not, i can't confirm since i can only find wiring diagrams for the nak-equipped ES.

if you aren't sure cut into it behind the changer.
from what i can see the pinout is:
signal___color___pin
cd R+____black___1
cd L+____Red_____2
cd R-____White___6
cd L-____Green___7
All of the automotive 30A SPDT relays seem to be overkill at 30A, no? I found a 12V 4PDT Relay thats rated at 5A for $4.00... is the amperage going to be insufficient?? Also I'm not sure if mines nakamichi or not, just bought the car used. Thanks!
Old 09-04-08, 12:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by rsg
yep, if wired correctly with a cd changer that works, even if there is no source to the aux, it will still switch over.

Originally Posted by rsg
no idea, regardless FM transmitters will not match quality-wise.
Old 09-04-08, 12:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by DoubleA
All of the automotive 30A SPDT relays seem to be overkill at 30A, no? I found a 12V 4PDT Relay thats rated at 5A for $4.00... is the amperage going to be insufficient?? Also I'm not sure if mines nakamichi or not, just bought the car used. Thanks!
no, they aren't, i'm willing to spend a few dollars to save hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.
Old 09-04-08, 09:45 AM
Yipee
Driver School Candidate

Any disadvantages tapping into the AM/FM tuner rather than the cd changer? I believe for my car 03 gs300 the tuner is right underneath the nav unit. Can someone confirm this? It would be easier for me since I'll be hooking up an xbox in the trunk. Thanks.
Old 09-04-08, 03:30 PM
rsg
Pole Position

So you lose CD changer functionality with this mod?
Old 09-04-08, 03:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Cool

Originally Posted by Yipee
Any disadvantages tapping into the AM/FM tuner rather than the cd changer? I believe for my car 03 gs300 the tuner is right underneath the nav unit. Can someone confirm this? It would be easier for me since I'll be hooking up an xbox in the trunk. Thanks.
i'm not really sure, if you have navi and an Xbox i'd recco that you go with teh Vaistech unit, iirc they make a video/audio box that lets you use the navi screen for aux sources.

Originally Posted by rsg
So you lose CD changer functionality with this mod?
nope, properly installed in a car with a working changer the setup lets you switch between the CD changer and the aux. source at will, when you have the aux. source engaged the cd changer is still playing, but the signal will not make it to the amplifier.
Old 09-04-08, 04:39 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

PureDriffff,

I first want to say thanks for your innovation! I'm gathering the supplies right now needed to complete this little project. I kind of know how to solder, but I'm a complete n00b in the electronics department. I read through your thread twice already, but I have 3 main questions right now regarding my 99 gs300..

1) Where do I splice into to find the 12v power supply?

2) for my 99 gs300 w/ the most basic system, I only need to splice into the cd changer right? The CAD diagrams showing cd changer and oem amp are confusing me

3) I have an ipod, but is there a substantial sound quality difference between using the ipod specific plug and the standard 1/8th" plug? The reason I want to use the 1/8th" plug is to be able to plug in a Zune or some other device that my friends may have.

Thanks again!
Old 09-04-08, 05:12 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fat Felix
PureDriffff,

I first want to say thanks for your innovation! I'm gathering the supplies right now needed to complete this little project. I kind of know how to solder, but I'm a complete n00b in the electronics department. I read through your thread twice already, but I have 3 main questions right now regarding my 99 gs300..

1) Where do I splice into to find the 12v power supply?
You will need to look around for a 12v wire. You can use the one behind the radio or even the one for the cigarette lighter. I suggest a simple multimeter be used during this project.
2) for my 99 gs300 w/ the most basic system, I only need to splice into the cd changer right? The CAD diagrams showing cd changer and oem amp are confusing me
I'll leave this one for Drifter. I don't have any diagrams on me right now.
3) I have an ipod, but is there a substantial sound quality difference between using the ipod specific plug and the standard 1/8th" plug? The reason I want to use the 1/8th" plug is to be able to plug in a Zune or some other device that my friends may have.
You can wire in both the aux (aka headphone jack and 1/8" jack) and the ipod specific plug. If you choose to do only one and it be the 1/8th jack, that's fine. It'll still work just fine.
The sound quality difference will probably only matter to audiophiles. Myself, I chose to go with the pre-amp non-fading outputs on my ipod directly to my factory radio input (mine was the cd changer wires). I would consider myself an audiophile though.

Thanks again!
GL. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-04-08, 05:18 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Fat Felix

you will loose some sound quality not using the preouts of the ipod or with a zune adapter (is zune allows that like the ipod does). i have it wired with a 1/8 plug and it sounds real good, just as good as my cd changer in my ears and those of everyone thats heard it so far.

I'm working on a 'automatic switch' but now i have it wired as puredrift said with a relay set up and switch, my switch is in the center console of my 99 gs300 with 'premium' sound (says premium on the radio head unit) i got my power from the 12volt plug that runs in to the center console

to get to the wires drop the glove box take out the CD changer then splice in. this whole deal only takes 10 minutes its such a great mod

on the cd changer plug used this and it all worked nicely
Black___CDR+
Red_____CDL+
White___CDR-
Green___CDL-

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo