Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 01:13 PM
paulg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I will see if I have those wire colors today, and if so I'll fix my system.

Edit: those wires are not even on my changer harness.

Last edited by paulg123; 09-24-08 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-19-08, 11:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a problem here.

My AUX relay is working great, except that it's draining my battery too fast. If I don't drive my car for 2 days my battery would be completely drained. The switch is there so I can just turn it off, but it's really a hassle, and I would like to know if this fast draining problem is common, or if there's something wrong. Thanks!
Old 09-20-08, 03:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

something is amiss, mine was left in the "on" position for over a week and was fine.

check for shorts/leaks, and that your battery is good/topped off.
Old 09-22-08, 10:04 AM
paulg123
Driver School Candidate

Or why don't you just tap into an ACC+ power wire? That way it will turn off power to the relay when you turn your car off.
BTW PureDrifter, did you happen to find the wiring guide for the 94 LS400 CD changer harness in the trunk?
Thanks
Old 09-23-08, 01:26 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paulg123
Or why don't you just tap into an ACC+ power wire? That way it will turn off power to the relay when you turn your car off.
BTW PureDrifter, did you happen to find the wiring guide for the 94 LS400 CD changer harness in the trunk?
Thanks
YES, that one done this morning, and I think everything will be fine! it was tapped on constant before. thanks for the tip
Old 09-24-08, 03:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

i tried that as well and found on some cars there was a problem with the speakers cracking when turning the ignition to OFF when the relays were engaged.
Old 09-24-08, 06:26 PM
paulg123
Driver School Candidate

I think in his case some crackling would be better than a dead battery (although I doubt the relays take that much energy).

Does anyone know where I can find out the cd changer wiring guide on a 94 LS short of buying a repair manual?
Old 10-08-08, 09:35 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would something like this be easier?

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=24707

Using a tape adapter and hard wiring from there?
Old 10-09-08, 09:51 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by milky

i didn't read that thread but i have a feeling it deals with using the points on the board the tape player play on so you put a dummy tape in the player and your mp3 player is on the tape button with the abilty to not hit play on the mp3 and use the tape.

it's been done before it's a pretty big pain in the ***, your dealing with stuff there where if you screw up and burn the board it's shot for the most part. i started to do it that way at first then said the heck with it when i ran across this thread.
Old 10-09-08, 11:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by milky

how is that in any way easier

and if you base it off a tape adapter it defeats the purpose since you could just use the tape adapter, and will either way be frequency limited.
Old 10-09-08, 11:40 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh ok gotcha.. It seemed like soldering a 3 wires onto the board would be easier, but guess not.

I gotta do this very soon!
Old 10-13-08, 10:21 AM
paulg123
Driver School Candidate

Ok...I fixed the problem I was having. Apparently the wire colors going from the cd changer to the amplifier DO NOT match up on the 94 LS. The four wires (Light Green CDL-, Violet CDL+, Blue CDR-, Pink CDR+) are all bunched together on harnesses on both the changer and amplifier, but on the amplifier these colors don't correspond as written above.

Now, I am trying to find an opening in the trunk to run a wire to the front seat without ripping too much apart. Any ideas?
Old 10-22-08, 11:53 PM
giahu001
Driver School Candidate

Default Es300 (2000)

I read the entire thread and learned how to add AUX-input to my ES300 (2000). I chose a simpler way, where I directly connect a mini-jack into the audio line behind the HU (see attached image.) I burn an Audio-CD with one silence sound track of about 18 minute. Play this CD in the CD changer, repeat the track, while using the AUX. Works great. The other 5 CD in the CD changer still working ok (w/o AUX input). I have some concerns, though. Since both CD L- and CD R- are connected to the Ground of Mini-Jack, I wonder if it will cause any damage in the long run. Also, the external audio signal from the AUX will run back to the CD changer (R+-L+-), not sure if this will be an issue or not. I've tried this way for about 2 hours and don't see any issue yet. The CD changer still working in normal operation.

Mini-Jack harness HU
Red (Right) --------------- Red (CD R+) - 2
White (Left) -------------- Black (CD L+) - 1
copper (Ground) ---------- White (CD L-) - 6 (5 in the attached image)
copper (Ground) ---------- Green (CD R-) - 7 (6 in the attached image)
(correction: Perhaps Red=CDL+ and Black=CDR+, so Right/Letf need to be swapped)
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-es300-2000-aux-adding.jpg  
Old 10-23-08, 12:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by giahu001
I read the entire thread and learned how to add AUX-input to my ES300 (2000). I chose a simpler way, where I directly connect a mini-jack into the audio line behind the HU (see attached image.) I burn an Audio-CD with one silence sound track of about 18 minute. Play this CD in the CD changer, repeat the track, while using the AUX. Works great. The other 5 CD in the CD changer still working ok (w/o AUX input). I have some concerns, though. Since both CD L- and CD R- are connected to the Ground of Mini-Jack, I wonder if it will cause any damage in the long run. Also, the external audio signal from the AUX will run back to the CD changer (R+-L+-), not sure if this will be an issue or not. I've tried this way for about 2 hours and don't see any issue yet. The CD changer still working in normal operation.

Mini-Jack harness HU
Red (Right) --------------- Red (CD R+) - 2
White (Left) -------------- Black (CD L+) - 1
copper (Ground) ---------- White (CD L-) - 6 (5 in the attached image)
copper (Ground) ---------- Green (CD R-) - 7 (6 in the attached image)
(correction: Perhaps Red=CDL+ and Black=CDR+, so Right/Letf need to be swapped)
the cd changer, even when playing a "silent" track, is still producing noise, a LOT of noise, so the signal/sound quality will be significantly lower than if you had used a relay array and had ONLY your aux. input. this way works, and has been done before, but isn't really the cleanest solution.
Old 10-24-08, 07:55 PM
v1nnie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jriggs
Fat Felix

you will loose some sound quality not using the preouts of the ipod or with a zune adapter (is zune allows that like the ipod does). i have it wired with a 1/8 plug and it sounds real good, just as good as my cd changer in my ears and those of everyone thats heard it so far.

I'm working on a 'automatic switch' but now i have it wired as puredrift said with a relay set up and switch, my switch is in the center console of my 99 gs300 with 'premium' sound (says premium on the radio head unit) i got my power from the 12volt plug that runs in to the center console

to get to the wires drop the glove box take out the CD changer then splice in. this whole deal only takes 10 minutes its such a great mod

on the cd changer plug used this and it all worked nicely
Black___CDR+
Red_____CDL+
White___CDR-
Green___CDL-
Is this the same for the 2000 gs300?

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo