Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 03:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i honestly have no idea and at the present time don't have any access to wiring diagrams. the wire colors at least will likely be different.
Old 12-04-08, 05:10 PM
gcvftw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked under the seat for an amp...no luck. The amp must be behind the CD changer in the glove box. Anyone know how difficult is it to get behind the glove box and then run wires to the center console?
Old 12-04-08, 07:00 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The critical information you will need is the wiring diagram for the radio system. The best way to get this is to subscribe to the Toyota-Lexus on-line technical info system. You can access this for $10.00 per day. Find the radio wiring diagram and print out what you need.

This website is: www.techinfo.toyota.com.
Old 12-05-08, 12:27 PM
gcvftw
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth an extra $30 for a device that allows for gain adjustment on the signal from iPod. It also has an auto-pause feature when turning off the ignition. The auto-pause alone might be worth it.

In my Honda I had a problem with very different volume levels between the iPod and my head unit's CD player. Switching to CD almost always killed my ears if I forgot to turn down the head unit's volume first. I'm guessing it was due to the fact that my iPod connected to the head unit AUX from the iPod 3.5mm stereo jack and I kept the volume on the iPod fairly low to conserve the battery. With this mod is that not an issue because you're using a line-level preamp connection?
Old 12-15-08, 01:00 AM
no1gsxr
Driver

Default hardwire

I have a 91 ls400 with a pioneer system. Mine didn't come with a cd changer option. There's no button for CD on the hu. How would I hardwire this to my system.
Old 12-17-08, 03:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by no1gsxr
I have a 91 ls400 with a pioneer system. Mine didn't come with a cd changer option. There's no button for CD on the hu. How would I hardwire this to my system.
you can't .
Old 12-17-08, 08:37 PM
no1gsxr
Driver

Damn, that leaves me two choices. Replace the radio with and aftermarket one or find a factory radio with cd changer controls. I kind of like the factory look cause if a potential thief looks in my car they may not even bother.

Last edited by no1gsxr; 12-17-08 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelled wrong
Old 12-20-08, 02:01 PM
Octavarium
Driver School Candidate

Default Mod worked great on GS300 G2

I have a GS300 Gen 2 with standard Pioneer CD changer. After replacing my noisy cassette adapter with a brand new noisier one, I finally decided to chuck it all and go direct with the help of this thread (thanks to the originator!) Result: to me, sound quality is TWICE AS GOOD! My Samsung Y-999 MP3 player playing hi-rez MP3’s now sounds very close to the quality of the CD changer.

A few tips: use the relays available on Ebay (seller is Installerparts) as of 12/08. Cool thing about them is they come with pigtail connectors that can be keyed together, so a.) you can snap a cluster of four together tightly without having to glue or tape and b.) no soldering on the terminals so you can easily replace a bad relay and c.) you can get 5 for about $10 + $6 shipping – so you have one spare. It was easy to gang together all the white wires for +12V and all of the black for the switched grounds. (Sorry no pics of this – was too excited and stuffed it all in before I could take a pic.)

On my Gen 2 GS300, I spliced the connection at the connector right behind the CD changer: Black: R+, Red: L+, White: R- and Green: L-. (thanks to poster who gave Gen 2 diagram in this thread). It seemed easier to get to instead of the connector at the head unit.

I also made the default power off to the relays on the MP3 side as I use that side more often. Also, +12V to relays is switched, not constant – and noise free when I turn it on or switch from CD to MP3. To that point, I don’t recommend +12V constant to the relays, just to be safe on battery drain.

Works awesome! But I did notice a strange thing that’s almost an advantage. With the switch in the MP3 position, its audio also overrides the FM channel (AM too). So I tuned to a blank FM station and for some reason, the MP3 audio feed overrides the FM hiss by 95%, with high quality audio. I only hear the FM hiss when I turn up the head unit toward max and the MP3 player is in pause mode. So…no wear and tear on the CD changer – and I cannot notice any difference in sound quality compared to it on the CD channel! I think the Pioneer circuit is designed to leave the input open even when the CD changer is not selected, as no audio signal is sent from the changer in other modes. When I flip the mod switch from MP3 to CD, everything works normally – so this little anomaly is an advantage. However, I also have an XM tuner A/B switched and when I feed that audio through the FM audio channel, I hear FM hiss, so I use the CD channel with XM – strange, no explanation there. Results will probably vary depending on audio source.

Also, had to turn both XM tuner and MP3 player to max volume and have to put head unit at half to get loud volume – no big deal, but need to pay attention when I flip to the louder CD changer.

Finally, here’s a shot of my XM and Samsung Y-999 MP3 setup – fits snuggly in the ashtray area after removing the ashtray assembly. The black pushbutton A/B’s between XM and MP3. The toggle switch to the right kicks the relays and A/B’s between CD changer and the XM or MP3 inputs. I modded the Audiovox XM cradle to fit the dash and hold the switches (was tight, but works.) Fun stuff – great sound. Go for it! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-user98688_pic918_1229810133.jpg  

Last edited by Octavarium; 12-22-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 05:05 PM
mwbuck
Driver

Does anyone have the colors of the wires coming out of the back of the head unit for L+/- and R+/- in a non-nav 2005 GX470?
Old 01-04-09, 09:11 AM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

I have a '99 LS400 with Nakamichi and no navigation system/lcd screen. I have read through the posts and understand that the cd changer is connected directly to the headunit, and that this switch can be made either behind the head unit or at the cd changer. There are conflicting posts about which location is best. Are there any consensus opinions on whether behind head unit or at cd changer is best and why?
Old 01-04-09, 01:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

doesnt make a difference.
Old 01-04-09, 05:24 PM
mkesc400
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ooh i'm really tempted to do this myself. i just need more bravery lol. i don't want to screw something up
Old 01-15-09, 02:35 PM
mgude
Driver School Candidate

Default Help getting started on a 97 sc300

First of all, thanks to Puredrifter for starting this thread, and for everyone else who has contributed to it!

I have parts for this project on order and I plan to get started as soon as it warms up around here. I have a 1997 SC300 with (I think) the Pioneer HU. Just to be absolutely sure, the Pioneer HU just says "LEXUS" on it and the Nak HU says "Nakamichi", right?

Of course, I have some questions. This thread is up to 28 pages now, so sorry if I missed something obvious.

I cant seem to find definative pinouts for the 97 sc300. Is it she same as this: http://www.lextreme.com/Lexradiowcd.pdf ?

Since my CD changer is in the trunk, it seems that running the wires from the changer to the iPod (in cabin) will be the worst part. Any tips on this part of the job? I will be running left & right +/- RCA wires, plus the SPST switch lead, right?

I intend to find a switched 12v power to charge the ipod in the console. I will probably tap into my cig lighter -once I figure out why it isnt providing power.

Is there a way to automatically power-down the ipod when the car is shut off? It switches to internal battery when the car is shut off, rather than pausing & shutting off like my old Creative Rio MP3 player used to. Someone mentioned that the Belkin car charger does this somehow...

Has anyone used this: http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-P-21-Po...2058373&sr=8-3 ? It has a ipod dock pass-through, so it should work with this mod, and it is RF, so it should control without line-of-sight. It looks small enough to mount on the steering wheel too.

Just out of curiosity, why does the HU need to have a working changer attached to work? It seems like with all the expertise on this forum, someone would find a way to fool the HU?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped the lexus comunity here!
Old 01-16-09, 10:14 AM
joebob1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Octavarium

A few tips: use the relays available on Ebay (seller is Installerparts) as of 12/08. Cool thing about them is they come with pigtail connectors that can be keyed together, so a.) you can snap a cluster of four together tightly without having to glue or tape and b.) no soldering on the terminals so you can easily replace a bad relay and c.) you can get 5 for about $10 + $6 shipping – so you have one spare. It was easy to gang together all the white wires for +12V and all of the black for the switched grounds. (Sorry no pics of this – was too excited and stuffed it all in before I could take a pic.)
Octavarium,
Im trying to put this together with the parts you mentioned. Im new to this so this is a stupid question im sure, but when you say gang the wires together what does that mean? Do you solder the 4 black wires together with the ground, and white with 12v, or how do you connect them?
Old 01-18-09, 02:20 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joebob1
Octavarium,
Im trying to put this together with the parts you mentioned. Im new to this so this is a stupid question im sure, but when you say gang the wires together what does that mean? Do you solder the 4 black wires together with the ground, and white with 12v, or how do you connect them?
Yeah I think he meant by soldering them, or using a wire nut, or even using a terminal strip, your choice.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo