Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 07:38 AM
bill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the wires you need to cut are not in that diagram.

if you dont care to keep the CD changer functionality but your headunit will at least turn on and stay switched to the CD input, you can just cut the CD signal wires, leaving the data tx and rx lines connected, and wire those directly into rca cables/dock cable.
Can you tell which wires to cut? I assume they are behind the radio and CD changer, but I don't know which ones to cut. Would they be the same colors as those shown on the chart?

Many thanks for your help,

Bill
Old 01-20-10, 10:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bill
Can you tell which wires to cut? I assume they are behind the radio and CD changer, but I don't know which ones to cut. Would they be the same colors as those shown on the chart?

Many thanks for your help,

Bill
no, i dont know which wires to cut
no, they probably arent the same colors, since that chart of yours is completely and utterly useless for this purpose. the chart you posted up is what an installer would use if replacing the headunit. go back through the thread and see the kind of diagrams i've posted and others have posted. find THAT for your car, and maybe i can help you.
Old 01-30-10, 12:43 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Great write up! How can I make this work with the factory HU, aftermarket amp, and removed cd changer? It's a 98 SC if it matters.
Old 02-02-10, 02:25 PM
ddx
Driver School Candidate

Hi , do you think you can help me as to where I should splice the wires for 97 es300 ?

thanks,

Old 02-03-10, 12:20 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a good spot to hack into your 4 wires.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-1zbro21.jpg  
Old 02-13-10, 04:52 PM
zdatlexus
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone, Im new here, first post.
This is awesome, just got my 92 sc400 2 weeks ago.
Just got my first cell phone that plays music and want to try this so it will work with a ipod or the cell phone. Good thing about the phone is it can charge and play music on the seperate line out at the same time.
Did I miss something, I see the sc400 mentioned in the first page and it intercepts at a diff place. No other info or dummy pics for the sc400?
Should I expect a problem with volume compatibility with a cell phone rca signal, Ive got the LG envy3.
Is there a consensus yet on using the wire adapter that does charge a ipod? It would be nice to be able to run rca for the cellphone and have the option of a charging ipod if my wife brings her ipod...
Im glad this post is still active, because if I try it and get in trouble I might need your help ...
Old 02-15-10, 11:50 PM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does this work on a ls430? with ml and nav? if so do i get the wires from the amp or behind da headunit? i have the schematics for all the wiring
Old 02-15-10, 11:55 PM
davvv
Driver

Old 02-20-10, 03:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

there is no reason for you to do this mod when you can just go buy a plug and play VAIStech unit or comparable.

this was originally designed for use with PRE 2001 lexus and select toyota models as there is no auxillary input available for them.
Old 02-20-10, 05:28 PM
zdatlexus
Driver School Candidate

does anyone have a radio wire diagram for the 92 sc400?
I have a 4pdt 12 v relay and want to try this.
Old 02-21-10, 10:27 PM
davvv
Driver

Originally Posted by davvv
its a 2002 and its costless
Old 02-22-10, 12:26 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

its a 2002 and its costless
congrats.
it's also impossible to do it the way i've described. the 01 and later Lexus models pretty much ALL have IN DASH cd changers.

want a good hard-lined aux-in? pay for a vaistech/equivalent, or engineer one. only two options available for 01+ cars. and honestly, if i could buy a ready made unit for $200-300 for my car, and save the time it took me to figure out the mechanics, wiring, and semantics of doing what i did, i would have.
Old 02-23-10, 03:00 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

I was about to purchase the cable people recommended from David Navone but thought of something...
Does anyone know of a cable that has the ipod dock connector and a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack? I want this because I want to be able to get the best sound from my ipod (dock connector) and still be able to use other MP3 players through the headphone jack. The David Navone has one but it seems the 3.5mm jack is for going into a source (car deck) not the output of an MP3 player. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks
Old 02-23-10, 10:35 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

does this work on a ls430? with ml and nav? if so do i get the wires from the amp or behind da headunit? i have the schematics for all the wiring
read this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...30-stereo.html

a little extra tidbit:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...s-at-last.html
Old 03-02-10, 10:11 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DK Audio
I was about to purchase the cable people recommended from David Navone but thought of something...
Does anyone know of a cable that has the ipod dock connector and a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack? I want this because I want to be able to get the best sound from my ipod (dock connector) and still be able to use other MP3 players through the headphone jack. The David Navone has one but it seems the 3.5mm jack is for going into a source (car deck) not the output of an MP3 player. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks
Bump...Anyone?

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo