Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 09:25 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this on my 2000 ES300 Nakamichi but when I press the switch only half the speakers work so heres a diagram of he CD changer and radio. Let me know what I did wrong
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-059rap-1.jpg   How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-059rap-2.jpg  
Old 05-24-10, 10:51 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
Well, where did u intercept the wires at? Can't tell you if u did it wrong when we don't know where u tapped into.
Old 05-25-10, 11:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i take it that the left side isn't working? you either tapped the wrong red or green wire (or both).
Old 05-27-10, 07:36 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Well it's a nak cd changer so it's plugs directly into the head unit not the amp and there's two separate blue plug harnesses that come from it to the head unit. So I don't know if it's even possible at this point so I just removed everything and wired everything back the way it was for now till I can figure out if it possible.

Can u do me a huge favor and circle or highlight which wires I should have intercepted?

Last edited by Ariyanna; 05-28-10 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-29-10, 06:13 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is awesome. I need to do this.
Old 05-30-10, 02:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

easier with pics of the plugs. its obvious in the diagram which ones you need (all the ones labeled CD(R/L)(+/-), four in total.
Old 05-31-10, 06:55 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

OK I got it to work but the changer is bleeding through when I press the switch and my friend works as a installer for Bestbuy and he told me that the reason its bleed through is because of a data wire that the changer has that plugs in to the headunit by itself. The one that is black and is label B(*2), he says that the Nakamichi changer for the 99-01 has the data wire and that 97-01 that has Pioneer radio does not have that data wire.
Old 06-09-10, 09:05 PM
Wick3dOn3
Driver School Candidate

mine is giving me a crazy amount of problems, first i got it to work but the volume was REALLY low ( itouch 1st gen) i turned both volumes all the way up on the itouch and the radio and i could barely hear what they where saying. Then it froze ( i have a 98 gs300 with navi and the 6 disk in the dash) when i tried to start it back up it was stuck at the LEXUS screen and would not do anything. Then i restarted and started a few times ( around 20) then it started working again. I tried to figure out the volume but i couldent, I tried switching around the r+ and L+ ( on the rca) but nothing, i rewired it but nothing. All while it froze on me about 5 times. Now when i try there is just a white screen and the car wont start ( battery is drained). I am tapping from the cd changer it self. I decided to tap from the amp itself but i cant get the radio to work now. Any ideas guys/girls?

also, in the diagram it says 30 goes to the amp but in the pics 30 goes to the clip

****** Fixed, when i did it with the amp it worked and the volume wasent low. But i did have the bleeding from the cd changer so i just cut the speaker wires and taped them up from the cd changer

Last edited by Wick3dOn3; 06-10-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 05:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

glad to see you got it resolved
Old 07-02-10, 01:24 PM
mtnickel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ariyanna
Well it's a nak cd changer so it's plugs directly into the head unit not the amp and there's two separate blue plug harnesses that come from it to the head unit. So I don't know if it's even possible at this point so I just removed everything and wired everything back the way it was for now till I can figure out if it possible.

Can u do me a huge favor and circle or highlight which wires I should have intercepted?
Any update on this? I'm a new owner of a 98 gs4 and I believe we have the same Nakamichi system.
I've read around and it does seem that the CD player does use some sort of SPDIF (Digital coax) audio signal.
If the bleed through is a problem, we may have to use a 0-bit cd track as well.
Otherwise, I may rip mine open and see how hard it is to tap into the Tape signal. I know I would never use it.
Old 07-15-10, 10:47 AM
Mojojeff
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2002 GS300 with an Ipod hookup in the console. My question is how do you change the source to play the ipod? (Mark Levinison w/ Navi)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Mojo
Old 07-21-10, 07:55 AM
HardParkin
Rookie

Props to PureDrifter for ths awesome DIY write up! Looking forward to getting it done this weekend. One question though, by using a SPDT rocker switch (on-off-on) can I totally cut the power off to the CD player/changer to prevent noise bleed while using my iPhone/iTouch?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-23-10, 11:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

no, one reason for using relays is noise/signal isolation
Old 08-06-10, 11:46 AM
HardParkin
Rookie

Did the install yesterday on my 2GS (Pioneer HU w/changer) and it works great! I bought the dock cable with the charging capability and that works too! Two question though about the noise bleed and volume level.

When I switch over to the AUX without the iPhone connected I hear the CD. Once I connect my iPhone to it I don't hear it anymore. Also the volume level is different from the AUX compared to the CD. Are these issues normal? Thanks again for DIY tutorial PureDrifter!
Old 08-07-10, 11:36 PM
heocon
Driver School Candidate

I am experiencing same noise bleeding and volume level difference (lower when AUX is on) and wondering if these are normal or did I not wired correctly.

HardParkin, May I ask where you get dock cable for iphone with the charging capability? because my dock cable works (one with 3.5mm and USB) however it does not charged at all

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo