Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 12:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

the bleed could be attributed to your choice of switch or relay. higher quality/latching/isolating relays are your best bet. the volume differential is due solely to your source output, since not all devices have the same level of preamp output (difference is more noticeable when you are using post-amp output)
Old 08-09-10, 11:30 AM
HardParkin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heocon
HardParkin, May I ask where you get dock cable for iphone with the charging capability? because my dock cable works (one with 3.5mm and USB) however it does not charged at all
I actually got mine from ebay ($15) and my relays 30/40 @ $1 each. I obtained the power source from the AUX outlet in the center compartment. When I plugged in my iPhone to the dock it said, "This accessory may not work with you iPhone (3GS)" but everything works fine.

Now i'm encountering another problem. When I'm listening to the radio I hear that winding sound as if I'm at the dentist! Possibly grounding issue? I have my ground off the SPST mounted to the stud where the CD player is bolted down to. Anybody else have this problem and where is a better source of ground?

Thanks CL members!
Old 08-12-10, 10:33 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Question

I have a french '01 GS300 with Navi but no ML. I have try to connect the auxillary input but the cd changer have different colors

PIN 1 ---> BLUE/YELLOW
PIN 2 ---> PINK
PIN 3 ---> BLUE/PINK
PIN 4 ---> RED
PIN 5 ---> BLACK
PIN 6 ---> GREY
PIN 7 ---> PURPLE
PIN 8 ---> BLACK/WHITE
PIN 9 ---> GREEN
PIN 10 --> WHITE

Can you help with the auxillary input wiring?

Thanks,
Denis.

NEWS : it works

Thanks again for this topic

Denis.

Last edited by denIS200; 08-12-10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 01:05 PM
mikesm
Rookie

I am about to try this mod on my 1999 Lexus GS400. It's been on my list for awhile, but I finally converted over to an iphone, and I want the streaming music function to work better than I can get right now with an FM modulator (I live in the SF Bay area, and there are hardly any channels that have no interference). I also have the $10 Sprint A2DP to Apple iphone jack adapter, which should enable me to stream via bluetooth or jack in for power and signal as well.

A few questions before I get the parts and open everything up to install them:

1) Behind the radio panel on the GS400, how much space is available for installing the wiring an a relay? I am thinking about using a compact 4PDT switch like this one (http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Product...DS/2095891.pdf) or this one (http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/291507.pdf) with the thru-hole solder lugs for the wiring. I want to make sure that once I wire it up, I can reinstall the radio so it will slide back all the way and fit properly.

2) I am curious is anyone has tried using a phone charging adapter to trigger the relay from CD changer to iPhone operation? That is, to wire the power for the iphone charging adapter through the relay coil, so that when the iphone is plugged in, it automatically switches the source to the iphone adapter. If iphone is connected, current will flow through the relay and trigger the switch to the aux input. No switch would be needed. Of course, if you were using a bluetooth adapter, this would not work and you'll still need a manual switch.

3) How have folks routed the iphone charging adapter in the GS400? I was thinking about having it come up into the center storage area under the armrest, but that isn't very convenient if you want to look at the display. If you have a long enough cord, you can just pull the cord forward to look at the screen, but then the top of the armrest won't close completely over the storage area. How all did everyone do it in their cars?

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-21-10, 05:48 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok so I hooked up a pair of RCA's to the CD Changers RED, GRN, BLK, and WHT wires (CDR and CDL wires). The aux sound comes in great but the FM sound is almost muted. This happens only when the aux source is plugged into the RCA's. Once it is unplugged the FM volume returns to normal. Any ideas?

02 GS with NAV
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-wires.jpg  

Last edited by Debonair; 08-21-10 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 12:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the amp isnt made to completely isolate multiple input signals. the OEM system is set up such that the CD Changer STOP PLAYING when you switch inputs. this is why the aux input NEEDS to be on a switch or preferably, a relay.
Old 08-25-10, 11:14 PM
JimBright
Driver School Candidate

How many amp should the relays be rated at?

Anyone want to post finished pictures of where they mounted the switch?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-10, 11:35 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amperage doesn't matter since you're just passing audio. The standard bosch type relays are 30/40.
Old 09-16-10, 12:06 PM
parker770
Rookie

I just completed this last night on my '92 SC300, and it is working wonderfully!

I had been using a tape adapter with my iPhone, which had pretty mediocre sound quality, but got the job done.

A couple of months ago, the tape deck started acting up and would refuse to play the adapter, so I had been rolling ghetto-style with headphones in the car(dangerous, too!)

My CD changer has been pretty worthless since I got my car because of incessant skipping, so I haven't used it at all for at least two years. Since I didn't care about keeping the CD player functionality, I went ahead and skipped the relays. I also didn't have the RCA->wire adapter plugs, so I just cut the plugs off of the cable and wired it directly to the head unit.

I picked up a cable from eBay with 5 volt charging built in, and tapped into the cigarette lighter for power. The sound quality is soooo much better than the tape adapter, it isn't even close!

I also had some concerns about the line voltage not being sufficient to get good powerful sound, as I had read about some people using RCA line drivers. Luckily there were no problems, it plays plenty loud with MUCH more powerful low frequency and less noise than before.

Great write up!!!
Old 09-25-10, 04:44 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

glad you got it working well
Old 10-01-10, 04:09 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anybody is willing to sell me this stuff ready to plug and play pm me please.
Old 10-07-10, 08:39 PM
yehls430
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but how does this compare to the Dice Silverline Pro?
Old 11-16-10, 05:16 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got all the components and started assembly. I will be installing it this weekend. I've been reading this thread over and over again, so I should be able to get it working properly.

Props to PureDrifter !!!
Old 11-16-10, 02:57 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Quick question:
Instead of putting RCAs on the wires, I want to put a 3.5mm jack socket.

Here's the socket with the wiring. You can see there's a red (positive), black (negative) and green (ground) wire.

Now here are the relays and their wires. Problem is that I have L+ L- R+ & R-. That makes 4 wires for L&R, as opposed to only 2 wires on the socket side.

Can I solder both R+ and R- to the red (positive) wire on the socket, and do the same for the left side? Would that work?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by YviE; 11-17-10 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-17-10, 12:17 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

I think I got it...

I wire L+ to L, R+ to R. And L- & R- will be wired to ground.

Is that the way to wire it?

Last edited by YviE; 11-17-10 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo