Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11 | 10:47 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Finally got it working! I followed a diagram from Alldata that was all screwed up and I had reversed the polarities in some places. Now it switches perfectly at full volume, although there is very slight crossover at low volume due to the speaker wires being so close to each other.

Last edited by Sixdown; 02-13-11 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-06-11 | 07:24 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default 2GS amp location

Just want to confirm the amp location for a 2GS w/nav is in the dash, on the far right side, next to the blower box behind the glove box. I only want to cut wires once.

Thanks
Old 03-06-11 | 10:12 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

The non-nav version has the amp behind the glove box. Should be the same for the nav version (pioneer).
Old 03-09-11 | 06:30 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Questions

Ok, so I read through the whole thread atleast once, some parts more than once. So I hooked up everything last night. After some hurdles I got everything working. It is SWEET!!!!! Sound is substantially improved over the tape adapter, and no more wires!!!

So now I have 2 questions. For those of you with a 2GS that installed a switch, where did you place it? Post any pics? I haven't found a permanent home for the switch yet, which leads me to my 2nd question....

If everything is hooked up correctly, should I be able to hear the ipod music when I select FM or AM? When in CD mode and switch set everything works. If I switch to FM, and leave switch set to ipod, the ipod bleeds into the FM audio. If I change the swtich, so that it's selecting the changer, it goes silent, the ipod does.

So if I'm listening to my ipod and want to listen to radio, do I have to change the switch each time? Is there a way to get the aux input to work like the native CD input, such that it stops/pauses, auto mute, whatever, so you don't have to flip the switch every time?

Many kudos to PD, and everyone who's contributed. This has got to be the best "bang for the buck" mod for these cars!! Now if I can just finish the bluetooth phone kit install, I can finally put my glove box back in the car.
Old 03-09-11 | 02:53 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DK Audio
I was about to purchase the cable people recommended from David Navone but thought of something...
Does anyone know of a cable that has the ipod dock connector and a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack?

Thanks
I realize this is a bit late, but if anyone is still interested. This is what I used. I'll run the 3.5mm jack so that it can be another input, if I ever need it.

Iphone/3.5mm cable
Old 03-14-11 | 08:49 AM
Octavarium
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I get bleed on the FM on my GS2 as well. You have to switch out of the Aux mode to make it work right. Also, I did not like that the CD changer is working away the whole time I'm listening to my Ipod, someone suggested to turn over the first CD in your pack so it errors out and stops. Then if you want to listen to the other CD's just advance to the next one - this works well, but honestly with the Ipod and my Slacker Radio in the car I hardly listen to FM or CD's anymore.
Old 03-20-11 | 11:47 AM
ProjektS13
Driver

So for an 97 ls400 with nak, I have to splice in between the head unit and the cd changer and not by the amp? Would anyone know what color wires i have to splice into?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-22-11 | 08:41 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Octavarium
Yeah, I get bleed on the FM on my GS2 as well. You have to switch out of the Aux mode to make it work right. Also, I did not like that the CD changer is working away the whole time I'm listening to my Ipod, someone suggested to turn over the first CD in your pack so it errors out and stops. Then if you want to listen to the other CD's just advance to the next one - this works well, but honestly with the Ipod and my Slacker Radio in the car I hardly listen to FM or CD's anymore.
You don't need a disc in the changer. My magazine is empty, and everything works great.

After living with it for a few days, I don't think I'll be using the switch as much as I first thought. All I really need to do is stop or pause my iphone, and the radio comes in fine.

Honestly though, with the app TuneIn radio, I can stream my favorite radio stations through the iphone/aux in, and never have to change inputs on the audio system. That's not saying much though. I almost never listen to radio anymore, even less than CDs.

I also have a somewhat related question for all you audio experts. So I built and installed PD's aux in, and it works perfect. I also installed Debonair's bluetooth solution. I've got it working in conjunction with PD's aux in. But I have a problem.

I have connected a pair of rca splitters to add an extra set of rca inputs into the single pair afforded by PD's hack. I wanted the flexibility of listening to music from either the dock connector cable, or from bluetooth audio from the bluetooth kit. I wired it all up, and it works, but the sound doesn't sound right.

So it's like this. I place iphone in dock cradle connected to dock cable which is one pair of inputs to PD's relay input. BT is second set of rca inputs to splicer cables. If I select BT audio on phone, while connected to cradle it plays audio, albeit with a loss of bass. If I select dock connector on the phone for audio it plays also, but chops almost ALL 4 doors speaker audio, but plays the bass GREAT!!

Here's the kicker. If I unplug the BT audio input rcas, the full range of sound comes back for the dock connector audio input. The moment I reconnect the BT rcas, bam, no door speakers. If I select BT audio on the phone while in the dock connector, and remove the dock input rcas from the mix, the audio quality does not change.

How do I maintain full range audio with both sets of rcas plugged in? Right now they connect like so:

Relay input L channel rca connects to L channel of dock connector, AND L channel BT audio connector, and same for the right channel. Am I missing something, or hooked something up wrong?

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-23-11 | 07:17 AM
ProjektS13
Driver

Did you make your own RCA cables? If so maybe you accidentally crossed one on the BT RCA's.

Last edited by ProjektS13; 03-23-11 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-28-11 | 08:14 AM
Octavarium
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you have those inputs in parallel which can cause issues - they need to be isolated - in other words, try an A/B switch so only one device is connected at a time. I use one of those 4-channel A/V switches in my Yukon to give me 4 isolated inputs - works great. In my GS I use a push button DPST switch so either my XM connects or my iPhone connects - but not both at the same time.
Old 03-28-11 | 03:18 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Got any links to the parts you used?? Where would I find them?
Old 04-06-11 | 07:17 PM
asianrob
Driver

so if i read this correctly... 2000 GS300 with nak the wiring between the hd and cd changer is

CDR- 9 White
CDR+ 10 Black
CDL- 11 Green
CDL+ 12 Red

wiring is for the plug at the cd changer.

am i reading this right? so pull the cd changer and find those wires? some one with 2 GS confirm this... cause im about to dive in when i get the correct info please
Old 04-07-11 | 08:54 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Can someone help me to find the 2001 LS 430's diagram?

Thanks,
Denis.
Old 04-12-11 | 07:41 AM
ProjektS13
Driver

Originally Posted by asianrob
so if i read this correctly... 2000 GS300 with nak the wiring between the hd and cd changer is

CDR- 9 White
CDR+ 10 Black
CDL- 11 Green
CDL+ 12 Red

wiring is for the plug at the cd changer.

am i reading this right? so pull the cd changer and find those wires? some one with 2 GS confirm this... cause im about to dive in when i get the correct info please
I just did mine a few days ago but it is a 97 ls400 with nak.

I just unplugged the harness and spliced into the same wires you listed.

Im not sure if the wires are the same for the gs cd changer but if what you listed is gs specific then it seems the pinout would be the same.

Heres the diagram i used, hope it helps.

Old 04-18-11 | 03:43 PM
Uneekstyle
Rookie

i literally just read through all of this thread and im having some problems understanding things... hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
first of all, does it matter what aperage the relays are? im going to guess that it doesnt since it wasnt covered in the initial post of this thread.
secondly, i have a 98 GS300 with nav, what would be the best way to go about installing this to my specific system?
can someone help point me in the right direction?
thanks in advance

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo