Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 10:44 AM
Rey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would I make another thread with pertains to exactly what everyone in this thread is trying to achieve, building an AUX input into the oem stereo. By having that information in this thread it will have it will help anyone else who plans to use a single 4pdt relay instead of 4 spdt relays. If my posts are irrelevant and dont add anything to this thread then you can just delete them all and ill figure it out on my own.
Old 05-28-11, 11:52 AM
Rey
Pole Position

4pdt relay is wired and working flawlessly. Wiring is as follows.

#1 - Changer L +
#2 - Changer L -
#3 - Changer R +
#4 - Changer R -

#5 - RCA L +
#6 - RCA L -
#7 - RCA R +
#8 - RCA R -

#9 - AMP L +
#10 - AMP L -
#11 - AMP R +
#12 - AMP R -

#13 - Switched Ground
#14 - ACC or 12vdc constant (your preference)

Thanks again blanco for the 4pdt relay schematic. For those wiring a 95-97 LS with NAK, I tapped the 5 wire blue connector behind the head unit.

CDL - Green
CDL + Red
CDR - White
CDR + Black

Got the rca to ipod connector on ebay. It has charging capabilities too. I am using this with a 3gs. Output from the iphone was low compared to the oem cd changer so I hooked up a Rockford Fosgate balanced line driver I had laying around from a previous install. IMO with the line driver dialed in it sounds better then the oem cd changer. Im now able to use Pandora and Slacker radio again in the car since my oem tape player failed since I was using a tape adapter previously.

Here is a progress pic. I just need to figure out where to mount the line driver and clean it up and put it back together. I also need to buy another switch. I didnt realize the rocker switch I got was a momentary switch.
Old 07-12-11, 05:12 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

My brother has just done a mod like this to his Volkswagen and it made me think of this thread. He basically did the same thing but wired it for the tape player. Is there a way you could wire this for the tape player? It's be a shame to get rid of my 6 disk when I use it
Old 07-12-11, 05:31 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

READ page 1. That's what the SWITCH is for!!!
Old 07-12-11, 06:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

technically, that's what the relays are for lol.
Old 07-23-11, 06:51 PM
929rider
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did this with my 99 gs. and it works great. listening to pandora on our phone through it. going to do my wifes 03 acura.
Old 07-28-11, 11:19 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know if Tommy @MusicBox would be able to add an aux input to an 2002 ES300?
Old 07-31-11, 09:13 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey guys, have anyone done this on a 1993 LS400? Can someone tell me which wires to tap into on the CD plug?
Old 08-01-11, 06:37 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shajbot
Hey guys, have anyone done this on a 1993 LS400? Can someone tell me which wires to tap into on the CD plug?
Yes, I did this on the 93 LS I owned.

I have the wiring schematic in PDF format. I can give you the colors of the wires to cut, but it can get confusing because there are two pink wires in this harness. This could cause problems if you cut the wrong one.

I can send you the file, but I will need your e-mail address. Send me a PM giving me that, and I will forward the file.
Old 08-01-11, 08:53 AM
shajbot
Advanced

Originally Posted by CUMan

I have the wiring schematic in PDF format. I can give you the colors of the wires to cut, but it can get confusing because there are two pink wires in this harness. This could cause problems if you cut the wrong one.

I can send you the file, but I will need your e-mail address. Send me a PM giving me that, and I will forward the file.
You got a PM!
Old 08-01-11, 11:00 AM
shajbot
Advanced

Default Another success

Originally Posted by CUMan

Thank you so much for the diagram, I noticed it was a slight color different from between the diagram and the plug on my car so here's my finding in case anyone curious:

*check the attachment for visual*
I cut the wires from the back of the CD changer in the trunk and ran the wires into the cabin, also I had the aux (3.5mm) wired straight to the cut wires without the relays cuz my CD changer doesn't work anyway. So this is for anyone wants to do this method.

Looking at the back of the plug (where wires coming out) on the CD changer in the trunk (the bigger one) and turn it so the clip is on top, from the far right wire1, the one next to it to the left is wire2. The next row would be wire5 from the far right and wire6 is the one to the left of that. I think the colors on these wires could vary but I compared the wire assignments on two schematics from 1990LS and 1993LS, they are all:

wire1 -- CDR+
wire5 -- CDR-
wire2 -- CDL+
wire6 -- CDL-
in my case 93LS
Pink -- CDR+
Blue -- CDR-
Vio -- CDL+
Cyan -- CDL-

I had a pair of RCA wires and I wire the cone to the + and the outer shield to -, then a Y adapter joins two RCAs into one 3.5mm aux male

Good luck to all and great idea to the OP!
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-securedownload-1.jpg  

Last edited by shajbot; 08-01-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-20-11, 12:44 PM
Immo
Driver School Candidate

edit:
Found what I figured out here

The cd changer is wired to the headunit so need to tap in there.

Apologies for spamming

Last edited by Immo; 08-20-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 05:54 AM
cj1o
Driver School Candidate

Need a little help. I've followed this thread and decided to attempt to mod my 1999 GS300 according to Pure Drifter's instructions using Octavarium’s alternate “wired relays” since I’m not an electrician and never played one on TV.

The wired relays I ordered are from China and I'm not as flexible as I used to be. So I thought if I mis-wired or the relays are/go bad I would be more able to trouble shoot or service this mod in the future from the center console.

So I dropped the glove box and CD changer. Using the 1999 Gen2 color coding posted in the thread and I spliced my telephone wire using Octavarium’s insight into the CD changer’s output connector as follows (color coding confirmed at http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...wtopic=64903):

Black R+
Red L+
White R-
Green L-

and ran the 4-strand telephone wire to the center console so I could more easily complete the mod and service or repair it w/o having to drop the glove box again.

To power the relays I spliced into the 12 v ACC hot wire feed to the Aux DC outlet to the center console and grounded through the switch using one of the two bolts that secures the console to the car frame. The switch works OK.

I've completed the wiring but the mod's not working for me. When I switch the relays on the sound stops so I believe the relays disengage from 87a (CD source) but I am not sure they engage 87 (MP3 source). Bad relays?

With the relays switched off the CD changer still plays fine through my spliced telephone wiring (I do have to turn the volume up slightly to reach the volume levels prior to splicing in the telephone wire). However, as noted above when I throw the switch to power the relays I get no sound from my MP3’s: CD (good disc or upside down disc). Correction - the other audio modes work OK when the relay is switched on or off.

I've gone over my wiring which I think is OK since the CD changer plays fine. My female RCA jacks are correctly wired and my RCA to 1/8" converter cable is OK. But when I power the relays neither my RCA OPAL nor my Sony Walkman MP3 players can produce any sound through the car's stereo speakers. There is no sound in the CD mode.

However, I see a different color coding head unit to amp for GS300 Gen2 w/o CD Changer at: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...howtopic=64903
White R+
Black L+
Green R-
Red L-
Would it be worth it to try and re-wire to this color coding? Corrrection - the other audio modes work OK with the relay switch on or off.
Any ideas on a logical way to trouble shoot my mod to locate my installation error would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-2011-09-21-glove-box-380x285-.jpg   How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-2011-09-21-center-console-640x480-350x263-.jpg  

Last edited by cj1o; 09-23-11 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-23-11, 07:49 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Would it be worth it to try and re-wire to this color coding?
NO!! Look at the diagram. Those wires are between the HU, and the amp. You did it correctly the first time.

Are you certain the relays are getting energized? I would check that first. If they are in fact getting energized, try swapping the leads on 87 & 87a.

Have you tested for continuity with your RCA cables? My first RCA cable looked good, but was solder FAIL.

Try those and report back.

(I do have to turn the volume up slightly to reach the volume levels prior to splicing in the telephone wire)
BTW, Resistance on the phone wire is probably causing this. I used either 16 or 18ga wire. Can't remember which, it's been so long.
Old 09-23-11, 10:48 AM
cj1o
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your comments, Blanco!

Originally Posted by Blanco
NO!! Look at the diagram. Those wires are between the HU, and the amp. You did it correctly the first time.
Yeah, you’re right. I’m starting to grasp at straws now.

Are you certain the relays are getting energized? I would check that first. If they are in fact getting energized, try swapping the leads on 87 & 87a.
Here’s my check method and results.
Using my 3M brand DC Circuit Tester with a 12v bulb and probing the relay leads with switch-on:
#85 12 v bulb on
#86 12 v bulb off

Using the Circuit Tester probing the relay leads with switch-off:
#85 12 v bulb on
#86 12 v bulb on

I switched the #87 and #87a leads as you suggested. The CD changer now plays normally in the switch-on position and the sound stops in the off position. The MP3 player remains mute in either switch position.

Have you tested for continuity with your RCA cables? My first RCA cable looked good, but was solder FAIL.
I also first soldered the RCA female jacks and when the mod didn’t work I redid the jacks wrapping the positive and negative terminals with solid copper wire. During the above tests I pulled the strain relief jackets off the RCA plugs to insure the wiring was not shorting itself.
Do the RCA jacks absolutely need to be soldered?

BTW, Resistance on the phone wire is probably causing this. I used either 16 or 18ga wire. Can't remember which, it's been so long.
I think I’m OK with the added resistance and the additional load on the amp to get my desired volume as long as it doesn’t damage the system.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo