Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 06:51 PM
Socalgal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this and i think some other people may be interested. After getting fed up trying to find a line out cable for my iphone that i could pick up that day for under $50 i ended up wiring in a headphone jack style cord. later that night my girlfriend (who had been going to stores looking for the cord with me) sent me this link.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...t-miniusb.html

It plugs into the bottom of the iphone and gives you a female headphone jack and mini usb. I see the obvious disadvantage of having two cords running to the bottom of my phone. But it is better then right now since i have the headphone jack in the top and the cigarette lighter charger in the bottom.

i haven't receved it yet but i see some advantages too. This allows me to use a headphone style cord for a true preamp out from the iphone so i still have the option of running other devices. Also with the mini usb plugged into a cigarette lighter charger it'll auto pause when i turn the key off.
Old 12-04-11, 08:22 PM
Socalgal
Driver School Candidate

Of corse a big thank you to PD and everyone else that shared there experiences. I read the whole thread before attempting the install and it went very smoothly.

I do have some questions though after reading 42 pages a second time. I have a 98 gs400 non-nak with nav. Like a few other 2gs owners posted the signal comes threw the am and fm radio as well as the cd and tape sources with the switch on. It's kind of interesting, almost like the HU senses the signal and mutes the radio/tape when the iphone plays. If i pause the phone it'll change to the selected source a few secs later. If i unplug the phone the source changes instantly. This only happens with the switch on and sources other the the cd changer. To use the cd changer i turn the switch off and everything is back to stock. It sounds fine all though it seems very quite compared to the cd changer.

Is something wired wrong? I taped into the one plug behind the cd changer using the colors posted. Could the lower volume be because I'm still using the headphone jack of my iphone? That mini dock hasn't arrived yet.

Thanks again guys. I love my car and i love this forum!
Old 12-05-11, 12:12 AM
Rey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Socalgal
I found this and i think some other people may be interested. After getting fed up trying to find a line out cable for my iphone that i could pick up that day for under $50 i ended up wiring in a headphone jack style cord. later that night my girlfriend (who had been going to stores looking for the cord with me) sent me this link.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...t-miniusb.html

It plugs into the bottom of the iphone and gives you a female headphone jack and mini usb. I see the obvious disadvantage of having two cords running to the bottom of my phone. But it is better then right now since i have the headphone jack in the top and the cigarette lighter charger in the bottom.

i haven't receved it yet but i see some advantages too. This allows me to use a headphone style cord for a true preamp out from the iphone so i still have the option of running other devices. Also with the mini usb plugged into a cigarette lighter charger it'll auto pause when i turn the key off.
You can do the same thing with a iphone to rca cable on ebay with charging. Mine plays from the preamp out of the iphone and charges from an acc wire so it pauses when the car is shut off. Plus it has a regular 3.5mm jack if i want to use a non apple device.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=110467452155
Old 12-07-11, 01:50 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did this on my old SC looking to do it for my new GS with navi + ML

Is this the correct wiring diagram for a 01 GS430 with Navi + Mark levinson? If so cool, if not can someone provide me with the correct diagram?
Old 12-11-11, 08:28 AM
nickjhowe
Driver School Candidate

Smile Another '00 GS300 success

Another one done successfully! Thx PD!

Everything worked exactly as described in the thread. A couple of tips for noobs like me:

I used a round switch from Radio Shack. It was exactly the same size as the cigarette lighter in the center console arm rest, so I just swapped one for the other. Since I didn't need the cigarette lighter any more, I used it for the switched power and ground. Made things so much simpler.

There's also a small cutout that was a perfect size to run the iPod cable through. Just had to cut a small notch in the switch mount. Looks super professional.

In the '00 GS there is a white plug into the CD changer with the pin outs described in these threads, but I found it easier to tap into the wires as the go into the amp with the orange connector - both are behind the glove box. I used a continutity tester to make sure the wires were the same.

There is a space to the right of the amp that is a perfect size to tuck the relays into.

The most technically difficult (for me) was soldering the female phono plugs. Tricky, but you have to be patient.

The most worrying parts were cutting the wires on the amp - just follow the instructions and you'll be OK - and making sure I tapped into switched power so I didn't flatten the battery as some folks have reported.

Took a LOT more than 2 hrs, but it was the first time I'd ever done anything like this, and in the end it worked first time.

My daughter (whose car it is) is thrilled with her Xmas present!

Thx again.
Old 12-11-11, 05:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by nickjhowe
Another one done successfully! Thx PD!

Everything worked exactly as described in the thread. A couple of tips for noobs like me:

I used a round switch from Radio Shack. It was exactly the same size as the cigarette lighter in the center console arm rest, so I just swapped one for the other. Since I didn't need the cigarette lighter any more, I used it for the switched power and ground. Made things so much simpler.

There's also a small cutout that was a perfect size to run the iPod cable through. Just had to cut a small notch in the switch mount. Looks super professional.

In the '00 GS there is a white plug into the CD changer with the pin outs described in these threads, but I found it easier to tap into the wires as the go into the amp with the orange connector - both are behind the glove box. I used a continutity tester to make sure the wires were the same.

There is a space to the right of the amp that is a perfect size to tuck the relays into.

The most technically difficult (for me) was soldering the female phono plugs. Tricky, but you have to be patient.

The most worrying parts were cutting the wires on the amp - just follow the instructions and you'll be OK - and making sure I tapped into switched power so I didn't flatten the battery as some folks have reported.

Took a LOT more than 2 hrs, but it was the first time I'd ever done anything like this, and in the end it worked first time.

My daughter (whose car it is) is thrilled with her Xmas present!

Thx again.
glad to hear it worked out
Old 12-11-11, 06:16 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Could you provide me with correct wires to tap for a 2000 es300 pioneer unit?
Old 12-11-11, 06:20 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Also with this mod, the CD changer can still be used right? You just switch the source from CD to AUX, then you can change back to CD and use all 6 discs? Or does this completely disable the CD changer?
Old 12-15-11, 11:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I don't have access to wiring diagrams for all cars. This only works if your CD Changer is NOT built into your headunit. (ie-glove box or trunk). Properly installed, you can switch back and forth between your aux input and the CD changer via the switch.
Old 01-01-12, 09:38 PM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sry i cant help with the charging issue, potential for 12v mayhem was the primary reason i chose not to go with an unproven cable.

for a 94 ES300 w/factory CD changer you need to intercept the following wires (this is on the amp, not the changer)

these wires are on the smaller of the 2 connectors on your amp, should have a total of 12 wires.

signal____clr______pin
CDR+____Green____1
CDL+____Blue______2
CDR-____Violet_____6
CDL-____Pink______7

my guess as to why u cant switch sources and why ur having issues with volume is because u tapped the wrong wires, i accidently tapped a data wire between my changer and my hu during development and had similar issues.

any more questions just post them up
Hey man, so you're saying the inputs all run directly to the amp and not the head unit? I would think the head unit switches the signals and only sends the selected audio source to the amp.

Anyway if all I need to do is rewire at the amp I don't need to remove my dash, would be great.
1995 lexus es300

thanks!
Old 01-02-12, 01:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by lvicks
Hey man, so you're saying the inputs all run directly to the amp and not the head unit? I would think the head unit switches the signals and only sends the selected audio source to the amp.

Anyway if all I need to do is rewire at the amp I don't need to remove my dash, would be great.
1995 lexus es300

thanks!
don't guess, find a wiring diagram and be sure. no, i don't have access to one. The systems were set up differently depending on the year, model, and stereo type.
Old 01-02-12, 08:20 AM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
don't guess, find a wiring diagram and be sure. no, i don't have access to one. The systems were set up differently depending on the year, model, and stereo type.
No clue where to look for the wiring diagram, all I have are generic manuals. I'll try, thanks bud!
Old 01-02-12, 11:00 AM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lvicks
No clue where to look for the wiring diagram, all I have are generic manuals. I'll try, thanks bud!
ahh found some info on the 93 lex, says it is under the passenger seat, will try!
Old 01-09-12, 08:06 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Okay so I tried this mod on my 2000 es300 with the pioneer system tonight. Found the wire diagram and splice into the

CDL+ Red
CDL- Green
CDR+ Black
CDR- White

hooked up my rcas. Hooked up to power, but it is switched, same as my remote turn on for my amp, not constant. Wired the ground with a switch in the middle grounded to frame. CD changer works perfect so I flipped a disc upside down and plugged my ipod in and nothing happened. Flipped the switch both ways and nothing changed. I am almost positive I have splice the correct wires for the speaker lines because if I go to a normal cd or radio station the music plays perfect, and when I disconnect the leads from the relays and just leave them hang no music is played so I must have the right wires. I just do not understand why this is not working, I have everything hooked up correctly. Could using a switched power source instead of constant be the problem? Any thought?
Old 01-10-12, 01:38 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Disregaurd my last post. I stopped by fleet farm today and picked up a cheapy toggle switch and swapped it out from my fancy LED one and it worked right away! All the wiring was correct it was just the switch that was preventing it from working. Got it all cleaned up and tucked away and everything looks and sounds awesome! Thanks PureDrifter! Will post a write-up after work tonight and will post the link here for those interested! I think I may be the first to have completed it on a 3 es. And btw those wires I posted are the correct wires to tap into.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo