Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 03:30 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by es30000000
Disregaurd my last post. I stopped by fleet farm today and picked up a cheapy toggle switch and swapped it out from my fancy LED one and it worked right away! All the wiring was correct it was just the switch that was preventing it from working. Got it all cleaned up and tucked away and everything looks and sounds awesome! Thanks PureDrifter! Will post a write-up after work tonight and will post the link here for those interested! I think I may be the first to have completed it on a 3 es. And btw those wires I posted are the correct wires to tap into.
would this be the same for a 97 es300? i want to do this mod and sick of the tape deck with wires hanging out
Old 01-10-12, 09:27 PM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is 97 the new model? If so should probably work.

I've got the schematics for the '95 and I believe I need to tap Green, Blue, Violet, Teal.
Attached is the diagram. Going to do it this week some time and see how it works out. My tape deck doesn't like adaptors and I'm tired of driving w/ NO music.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-screen-shot-2012-01-09-at-3.42.23-pm.jpg  
Old 01-11-12, 04:55 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Here is the link to my thread on how to do it on a 2000 es300 but the wiring schematic is supposedly the same from 97-01 so this should work on all 3ES's

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...3es-radio.html

Once again thanks PureDrifter!
Old 01-11-12, 06:18 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by es30000000
Here is the link to my thread on how to do it on a 2000 es300 but the wiring schematic is supposedly the same from 97-01 so this should work on all 3ES's

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...3es-radio.html

Once again thanks PureDrifter!
Thanks guys
Old 01-18-12, 07:40 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, I got a question for you guys

Which one is positive on each RCA? The long metal piece? Or is that the negative?
Old 01-19-12, 04:52 AM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Hey guys, I got a question for you guys

Which one is positive on each RCA? The long metal piece? Or is that the negative?
It doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent. By this I mean hook up both longs to positive or negative. All this will affect is the polarity of the signal and as long as left and right have the same polarity you are fine.

If they have different polarities you will get all sorts of weird wave cancellations.
Old 01-19-12, 06:00 PM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Actually I'm not 100% sure if it matters. I don't think it does.
Im splicing up a RCA cable as we speak and the positive is the center male piece.
Try wiring and just be consistent w + and -, see how it sounds.
Old 01-19-12, 09:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

polarity of the RCA does matter..... quote below from the main post.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
B-cut and strip 2 more pieces (4 strands) of speaker wire (can be shorter, mine were approx 9-10 in.). on one end connect 4 female spade connectors. on the other end (should be bare at this point) you will connect/solder on your RCA terminals. remember when doing this that in an RCA cable, the center is positive and the outside is negative.
Old 01-19-12, 10:02 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
polarity of the RCA does matter..... quote below from the main post.
Thanks, must of skimmed over it.

Last edited by abounly; 01-20-12 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-30-12, 08:02 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After spending a few seconds to read through this thread I have a question

Everyone has simply used a separate switch (SPST) to switch between the changer and aux input circuits.

The people that are using ipod cable with charger function have to also connect to a 12v source in order to run the charger circuit.

Has anyone tried to use that 12v charger hot wire instead of a SPST switch? Unless I'm understanding this charger circuit wrong, that 12v hot wire would not see current unless you plug in the actual ipod into the connector. When you plug the ipod in, it should also at the same time activate the relay and switch automatically to the aux input without needing to flip a separate switch.

Am I missing something here? I'm either the first person to think of this or just a moron, let me know which one it is

Last edited by INTIMAZY; 01-30-12 at 08:37 AM. Reason: didn't have my morning coffee yet
Old 02-05-12, 01:31 PM
97LS400BK
Driver School Candidate

Default 97 LS400 with Nakamichi

Hi All,

First post. Just acquired a 97 LS400 with Nakamichi and am excited to try the PD aux-in mod. I've read a ton of the excellent postings here, but I'm still not sure where to start. I've read here in this forum that the LS400's with Nakamichi units have the CD changer pre-amp out wired directly to the head unit (presumably the head unit has a built-in amp?) and therefore there is no amp under the passenger seat. After a quick look, I'm 95% sure that I DO have an amp under the passenger seat. Can anyone confirm:

a) If the 97 LS400 Nakamichi set-up does indeed have the CD changer-to-passenger-seat-amp linkage (as opposed to the cd output going back to the head unit)

b) If the above is true, can I presume the diagrams in PD's #1 post are relevant/accurate for my situation (allowing me to install the switches under the passenger seat vs. pulling the cd changer?

THANKS MUCH!!!
Old 02-07-12, 05:06 AM
Lexanna
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No solder option

I have been looking over this thread and trying to figure a way to avoid the solder option... It has been quite awhile since I have done any and do not have the time to mess it up... After reading about the 4PDT option I found these on eBay... I ordered a set and got them in two days CA to SC ??? They are very high qualtity and I will be installing one in my trunk pretty soon..(.I have mocked up the wires and tested the relay - I just have to make the final install) I do not have any gain in this post - except to help anyone that is solder challenged

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170700273485...=p5197.c0.m619
Old 02-18-12, 04:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexanna
I have been looking over this thread and trying to figure a way to avoid the solder option... It has been quite awhile since I have done any and do not have the time to mess it up... After reading about the 4PDT option I found these on eBay... I ordered a set and got them in two days CA to SC ??? They are very high qualtity and I will be installing one in my trunk pretty soon..(.I have mocked up the wires and tested the relay - I just have to make the final install) I do not have any gain in this post - except to help anyone that is solder challenged

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170700273485...=p5197.c0.m619
interesting, my only worry with that would be sound quality through the internal contacts. post up results
Old 03-03-12, 09:14 AM
pleiter
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why must there be a CD player present for this to work? What if one were to wire an ipod dock directly to an orange plug, unplug the CD player harness from the amp and plug in the new ipod harness. Obviously the CD player would not be connected but would the ipod work? If not, there must be other signals present in the original orange CD harness other than the CD output alone.
Old 03-03-12, 12:02 PM
Rey
Pole Position

With oem headunits the cd is not a selectable source if it is broken a certain way or not present from what I know.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo