Sponsored by:

So frustated with my system..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 01:55 PM
Noonan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So frustated with my system..

I have 2 JL Audio W6s and a 1000w JL Audio Amp in my 1996 SC400. When I first got it it sounded amazing. Then I started having problems with ratteling. I then realized that it wasn't my deck ratteling, it was my stock subwoofer. The W6s were pushing too much air though the stock subwoofer and causing the stock subwoofer to jump about 8" up and down (like it was hitting, not the entire subwoofer just the peice that would move if it was actually hitting). I took the stock sub out and it was good for a few weeks. Then it would sound crappy again, due to ratteling but eventually (oddly enough) it would go back to sounding good (ratteling would stop?)

So its been about a month and its been sounding great. Everyone that heard it said it was probably one of the best systems they have ever heard- even with stock speakers.

Well I went for a little cruise this weekend and happened to see a bunch of nice cars and decided to let my system bang real hard. Needless to say its back to ratteling again and it pisses me off. It doesnt sound bad but the ratteling makes it not sound as good.

SO... Where do I go from here? Dynamat the deck? I dont understand why it would sound good some days and sound like crap a few days later. Could my stereo be setup wrong? I have an Alpine IVA-W200 indash touch screen... I have the bass put on -1 because the speakers dont sound good with bass on them. I usually have the subwoofers on 1-4 depending on the sound that NORMALLY sounds good but even with that it rattles now. When I wanted to bang real loud I would turn it up to 6-7 but it can go all the way to 15. I have the mHz on 130 (is that good?) and its on Wide Bass Level 3 (can go from 1-5). I also have an option for "Nav" I dont know what it is.. Its not navigation it has something to do with the equilizer.

Please help.. Im real frustrated with it- I know it shouldnt be sounding like this because its a great stereo and when its working in top notch condition it sounds amazing. I have set off car alarms, rattled the windows in my house while warming the car up. Its such a solid system -- maybe a little too solid thats why I am having these problems.
Old 03-06-07, 02:14 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You absolutely have to start sound deadening. I get tons of rattle even with a little Elemental Designs 10", and I have a good amount of Raamat on my rear deck. What is rattling? Turn your system up and go back to your trunk and start isolating what is rattling. Push pieces down. Any metal pieces that are rattling.. start adding layers of sound deadening. I reccomend RAAmat.. do asearch on the forum for how to buy it.