Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Should I spend the extra $$$?? Is it REALLY worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-01, 04:31 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I spend the extra $$$?? Is it REALLY worth it?

I saw both of these component sets for sale on www.etronics.com

Which set is better?? Sound quality, performance, power handling, ect. ect...

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=rocfnq2514
OR
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=piotsc504

Now the Pioneers are A LOT cheaper and I'm going to be running a Pioneer Head Unit... However, I'm thinking that the RF's are better quality, better sounding speakers?? That would be why they are more expensive.

I really dont' know much about RF's speakers or Pioneers speakers... Guru's, which do you suggest?? Why are the Pioneers so cheap?? Are they an older model or something??

Basically, can I warrant spending the extra $$$ on the RF's or is it not worth it??
Old 11-22-01, 04:40 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down RF Fanatics

Justin - I've never liked RF's components ( just their amps, subs & processors ). I'd save a few bucks & get the Pioneers - not much of a spec sheet online but I'll see what I can dig up further on that set. Besides - how're ya gonna hear them over the twin L7's?? :eek:
Old 11-22-01, 04:43 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Gene,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! What are you doing up this early??

Well, I was liking the Pioneers myself too. From what I hear, Pionners are pretty good speakers!! Plus, like you said, the L7's will drown em out anyways!! LOL j/k

MMMMM...... Turkey in a few hours!!! droool....
Old 11-22-01, 04:51 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question PST

Justin - YOU'RE the one who's up early - ain't it about 5 AM on the West Coast? I'm at work myself & have been up since 3:30 AM CST - I get up to run/exercise before my shift starts. I like Pioneer speakers - solid upper middle rated components & excellent for a basic upgrade. While they aren't Dyns, Focals or Diamonds ( HEX series ), for the money I don't think ya can go wrong. The RF's have a slightly better X-over ( 24 dB octave on the HP & 12 on the LP ) while the Pioneers R 12 dB on both high & low pass. The Pioneers will handle more peak power & require less wrms to drive them as they're more efficient plus they play into a wider frequency range ( 40-32k Hz ) versus 50-20K Hz for the Fanatics. To top it off, the 504's have a mounting depth of 2 1/4" against the 2 7/16" of the RF's - not that this should be a problem with the doors of a GS. I think U'll be pleased with the Pioneers over the RF's & save some money ( ALWAYS a good thing!! ).
Old 11-22-01, 12:29 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Gene,

I didn't even THINK of the time change!! DUH! lol It was around 5am my time when I posted that!! :eek:

Anyways, I'm glad to hear all the good things about the Pioneers. I was really excited seeing them for such a great price. I'm so anxious that I'm ordering them today!!

Thanks again for the help.. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
Old 11-22-01, 11:31 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Some of the best speakers I've heard (and have in my car) are Infinity Kappa. I like their speakers, and for subs and amps I would go Rockford. Rockford gives off alot of bass. Also If you have the money look into Boston Acoustics, another top of the line sub and amp company. For the face I would stick with Pioneer. Good all around faces.
Old 11-23-01, 04:32 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will have to strongly disagree on this post^^^^^^

I mean c'mon. You dont wanna have the product mentioned above in a LEXUS! I mean Rockford used to be good, not any more, sorry. Infinity is pretty much average quality and low reliability speakers. They get blown all the time (Especially Infinity Perfects). I'd go with the advice of Percy, Spikedawg or mine. Some products just do not go into the cars of such grade.

Here is the list of what you would need to listen to to really appreciate the music:
Speakers: Dynaudio, Focal, Rainbow, Morel, Scan Speak, Jordan, Accuton
Amps: Mcintoch, Brax, ARC Audio, Zapco.
Headunit: Mcintoch, Nakamichi, Denon
Subs: Velodyne, Focal maybe IDMAX

Dont spoil your stock system with something cheap. It'll worth it. Dont raly on a dealers advice eather.
Old 11-26-01, 01:32 AM
spykedawg
Rookie

we're pretty adamant about what we put into our cars because we've pretty much heard it all, have dealt with the good/bad, and have seen what works and what doesnt. from that, we've almost always had to upgrade, so we just wanted to save you the headache.

if you really want a bang for your buck comp. set, look into the infinity referrence series (although it lacks midbass), but tonal quality is much better than the fosgate/pion.

the next step up would be either the focal polyglass or cdt cambria series.

then the big boys, which is pretty much all the ones retro mentioned.

as much as possible, let your ears do the decision making cause some people don't really care (or cant hear) the detail that audiophiles kill for, but i say, as long as you're happy, then stick to your guns. the worst is investing time/money into something you aren't happy with, no matter what price(which in our case, has meant getting the brands retro mentioned).
Old 11-26-01, 02:06 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Ok, I'm going to make Percy proud here!!

First, you have to look at your system goals and then, budget!! Sure, Dyns and a Velodyne sub would ROCK, but honestly, I don't have $1k JUST FOR THE Dyns!! Plus, if I'm going or an SPL setup, a Velodyne probably won't due the trick for me.

That's basically my problem with all the afore mentioned items is that they are either TOO COSTLY or more for SQ purposes...

As for thumping bass, I don't know if you can do better than the new Kicker L7's. MMatts Juggernaut woofers set the old* SPL record and I hear they are FIERCE!!

As for me, I'll be runnin 2 L7's with a massive amount of watts coming through a Pioneer head...

* I heard that the Kicker L7's set an UNOFFICIAL 180something db reading!! This will shatter MMatts 1998 record of 174.7db
Old 11-26-01, 02:23 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

The unofficial readings mean nothing really. They put a mic to teh port of a box and measure it. What 180 dbs at port would be legal is about 150-160 dbs max. Never judge by outlaw/port wars (not legal reading) scores.

Also I think that DD subs would sound louder then L7. If you are not in a hurry I'd wait for the new Adire Brahma that is coming out in Jan. That thing has more XMAX (cone movement) then anything on the market right now. Xmax means more air moved => more loud. For those who know, Brahma did 27.something on official DUMAX testing machine!

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/BrahmaDumax.jpg

http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/brahma_series.htm\

Try Orion HCCA comps out. They are real loud and can keep up with many subs out there
Old 11-26-01, 06:22 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy OUCH!

Retro - I wasn't implying that the Pioneers were the "ultimate" speaker for our cars; just that I felt that they were the better choice of the 2 given. Besides, I have been working with Justin for almost a year now & knew that his emphasis is on SPL - in fact, his original question to me was how to fit (4) 15's into the GS trunk!!:eek: I don't think he'd even be able to hear Dyns or Focals over that sort of setup! I certainly don't mind anyone disagreeing with my recommendations because I've never professed to be the "all-knowing stereo guru" - I've learned ALOT from Percy, Spyke & yourself as well. I just think they're may be too much emphasis on the name brands that go into our cars, whether it be stereo, wheels, tires, etc. Even you have correctly pointed out that it's not just the subwoofer that makes the bass - the enclosure design & build quality plays an equal part. Bottom line is that besides your budget, Spyke hit it on the head - as long as they sound/feel/look good to YOU, it doesn't matter what the name is on the component. Still respect your opinion alot, my friend!
Old 11-26-01, 06:57 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Yes, of course the install is important. That has always been my arument over years. However, brands of subwoofers can't be denied since some of them had achieved some great reputation through their accomplishment.

- Kicker seems always on top with their current SPL record with Alma Gates's truck.

- DD has a record of legal score of 170 dbs with only one sub!

- Adire Audio is new on the market but in this short time it has made a lot of accomplishments. Knowing that Dan Wiggins is behind Adire I am almost sure that they are and will be one of the greatest subwoofer companies out there ever!

- Image Dynamics has so many IASCA trophies, its not even funny. They also make most popular SQ sub on the market (IDQ) for the fraction of the cost of other similar quality subs.

Brands also mean the support you get when in trouble. I would never recommend anyone to use Audiomobile subs (nice subs) since their customer relations is awful.

In a good install any brand can sound good. However a good brand in a good install will sound better. Don't forget the "wow" factor when you tell people that you use IDMAX or a DD sub

I appologise if I was rude in disagreeing the way I did in a previous post. Probably was a bad day.
Old 11-26-01, 07:49 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LexDriver18,

Ya done me proud!

*sniffle sniffle*

Percy

Originally posted by LexDriver18
Ok, I'm going to make Percy proud here!!

First, you have to look at your system goals and then, budget!! Sure, Dyns and a Velodyne sub would ROCK, but honestly, I don't have $1k JUST FOR THE Dyns!! Plus, if I'm going or an SPL setup, a Velodyne probably won't due the trick for me.

That's basically my problem with all the afore mentioned items is that they are either TOO COSTLY or more for SQ purposes...

As for thumping bass, I don't know if you can do better than the new Kicker L7's. MMatts Juggernaut woofers set the old* SPL record and I hear they are FIERCE!!

As for me, I'll be runnin 2 L7's with a massive amount of watts coming through a Pioneer head...

* I heard that the Kicker L7's set an UNOFFICIAL 180something db reading!! This will shatter MMatts 1998 record of 174.7db
Old 11-26-01, 11:25 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

hahahaha...... Chip off the old block!!

I'm getting too good at this stuff LOL!!