Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

your thoughts on the Kicker 12" CVX sub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 04:53 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default your thoughts on the Kicker 12" CVX sub?

It was on clearance at a local electronic store and I got it for 188+tax. The guy said this sub hit hard, what do you audio experts think about it? I want sound quality more than SPL, is this the one? It'll go to the back of an IS350 in a sealed box. Thanks in advance for all your help.
TT
Old 03-17-07, 05:32 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you want sound quality, why don't you get a low distortion sub? The TC2+ based subs have been measured as as one of the lowest distortion subs on the the market - link and have been around for years. They are available from TC Sounds (the factory) as both the db500 and the higher performance TC 1000. They are also sold under the retail brands Soundsplinter (the RL-i series) and Rythmik Audio.

If you want to step up, you could go with a sub that uses a linear BL motor like Adire Audio's XBL^2 (overview & details) technology that should be available soon in the Koda, Brahma and Tumult.

TC Sounds has a linear motor technology called LMS. It's available on their 5400 series drivers, some overstock 4000 series drivers and Soundsplinter's Supreme Series.

Not to dis Kicker. They have always had a quality product even when they were built by Credence. They just haven't been known for having exceptional sound quality. Post the Theile/Small paramters and lets see how it stacks up against some of the subs I linked to.

-Robert
Old 03-20-07, 10:57 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 is on sale for a pair @ $189 shipped thru crutchfield. They carry the full 3 yr warranty and they have limited supplies. These used to cost over $300 each a few years ago-- They're that good.

If you do a little research you'll find that they are the topic of a huge buzz in the aftermarket segment as it's difficult to find a louder, cleaner, prettier, better engineered, more cost efficient sub anywhere anyhow.

The Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 is also one of the cleanest and loudest Do-all subs around to date--

The aluminum cone just doesn't distort due to frequency breakup like most all the other poly coned subs out there-- The aluminum is much stiffer, allowing the sub to play higher and lower and more cleanly, while being able to achieve higher vol. levels before distorting (which is hard to hear if it does)--

The only other material that is stiff enough to stack up to the aluminum is a poly/glass or carbon fiber composite, and we both know who makes those and how much they cost. Any takers?? I didn't think so. I too refuse to pay $500 for one 12" sub (just for my freakin car!?)...

The only other way to build a cone stiff enough to resist distortion besides the two above methods of using aluminum or a composite fiber material is to make the cone thicker--- This is what kicker does, as it's cheaper, and can get loud, and sound OK, but it lacks transient response your ears crave, and most people end up accepting the myth that subs just cant play up to their 6.5 midbass-- Not true, it just takes a bit more engineering to achieve.

Ever heard of alumapro? Very expensive al cone subs that were around for about 10 yrs or so, and were dubbed one of the cleanest subs ever produced. The Perfect 12.1 is the same way bro--

Kicker has always built a solid motor structure that is fatigue resistant, and because of that they have been very successful in the "hey I want some boom in my trunk" market-- What those guys don't know is if I actually ran a PAIR of perfect 12.1's they couldn't sit in my car very long, cuz those suckers HUMP in pairs dude, believe that -- They get downright nasty and you begin to see the distortion advantage of the aluminum cone. Al is a common material making it a bit cheaper to source and develop than composites used in the Focal and dynaudio counterparts...

It has been my experience that this sub will smoke a boston pro 12.5LF to no end on terms of sq, output per sq, and even just in output and power handling-- (The Boston Pro is rated at 1100 watts rms and is one mean mother of a sub costing you about $350+ each)

The perfects are WAY more efficient too--

Do yourself a favor and pick up a pair and sell your buddy the other one --- These babies rock and are one of the cleanest subs money can buy in any category.