Sponsored by:

Ported thru sub hole...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 10:20 AM
cjones4640
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported thru sub hole...

I was wondering who has had a system put in there car..just a box and amps and didnt like the way it sound so you had a box made and ported thru the sub hole...was it noticable? Im not digging the sound im getting(not hard enough i guess) and i was told by an installer to fire the subs towards the read and if i didnt like that to have a custom box made to fire thru the old sub hole....anyone who reply your comments are greatly appreciated!

ohh he did tell me my box was too shallow and needed to be atleast another 4" deep...i went to another installer(my cousin) and without saying anything he said the same thing..(the box was custom made for a GS..and sounded good in his car)

Last edited by cjones4640; 03-23-07 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-22-07, 01:26 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are solid-- just removing the old sub will allow a lot of airflow thru the rear deck--

I just finished this install-- just like you describe-- my only complaint is unrelated to this at all--

I just wish the preamp voltage was higher from the factory head unit-- I do have a 12db preamp driver on it's way that should fix this though--

I removed the old factory sub and re-glued the ring back to the mount so it would retain the grille mounting brackets and the foam around the top ring to avoid any rattling -- the grille fits back on perfectly and it sounds great even with all the trim panels installed in the trunk-- which is a surprise to me--

My problem right now is that the preamp voltage is just barely enough to move my sub -- even with a 950w rms amp (MTX 1500dx-- it's true 950 rms) ..

I will update on this subject later this evening after my line driver gets here and I actually start moving some air thru the factory sub hole in the rear deck.

If I don't like the sound, I can always install an ed slim 10, but I doubt the problem will be with the sub-- it's more likely that I will just need to install my components instead of using the factory front speakers... BUT, with such a weak preamp voltage killing the output, I can't make a definite call on yea or nay until I see what it does with some actual voltage to the amps--

It's funny you posted this as I JUST literally finished doing this 10 minutes ago.
Old 03-22-07, 03:28 PM
jayyyy
Driver

what kind of equip do you have? what kind of box too?ported or sealed? if you want it to sound really nice one way i would suggest is to cut the rear deck and fire the subs to the cabin. pricey though.
Old 03-22-07, 05:17 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The deck is already cut enough in my opinion--

The BEST sounding setup will be a free-air 10 in the factory location--

I am satisfied with a 12 in a sealed in the trunk with the original sub removed to let the air pass thru-- This works quite well--

Also, NO RATTLING!!!
Old 03-22-07, 08:59 PM
cjones4640
Driver

Default .....

thanks for the reply guys...im running 2 12" MB Quart RWE(?) and a crossfire 1000D..it sounds ok..but i THINK it could be harder(i just might be use to my sounds in my tahoe)..but i was told my box is too shallow...so imma change it out and hope that does it for me..and im thrown in 2 kinetik 1400 batt and a audiocontrol eqs 40 band eq..(180 amp alternator too)
Old 03-22-07, 09:13 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

You can always remove the panel between the gas tank and the rear seat and see how that works-- plus removing the rear spekers and mounting pods--

You're right though, you'll never get that volume resonance a Tahoe is capable of without doing some wierd stuff with the rear deck, ie: mounting subs directly to it, but with an enclosure--- This utilization of the rear glass should have a good effect, but still won't develop the wavelength like a tahoe's vast internal volume--

You will however have a more musical system with a single 10 in the rear deck vs. the boominess inherent to an SUV...

I'm only running a single Kappa perfect 12.1 in a sealed 1.1 -- with more than enough output for my taste-- and it's loud enough to hear well outside the car-- like at redlights--

I'm not into making other people mad-- or I'd run 2 perfects -- that's just insanely loud though-- I'm just not into that anymore--

I've had my 153db dash/ 160db outlaw setup and that was enough to find out what loud really is--

I like sq as close to some studio monitors as humanly possible -- with nice flat response--

Look for a 3 way setup coming soon up front for the SC --
Old 03-22-07, 09:22 PM
zacisapimp
Driver School Candidate

I have a memphis mojo 15 and it's pretty loud but i need alot of dampening and a bigger ported box. And to put in my other one I thought taking the panel that seperates the gas tank and the trunk area out made a diffrence. I cant light a lighter in my car
Old 03-23-07, 12:58 AM
cjones4640
Driver

ohh and i did take the sub out and the plate on the back seat..mma fugg with it a lil more this week end tho..i might take the box out my tahoe just to see what difference ill hear...i have 2 12"kicker cvr's in there..(need the cargo space..)
Old 03-23-07, 01:06 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I ripped the cheap a $$ PIE line driver out and swapped in my AudioControl EQL , which doubles as a line driver as well--

All I can say is-- I won't be shopping for a double din h/u any time soon, or swapping in my components very hastily for that matter...

The signal boost from the eql was just enough to bring the output to perfect and balanced --

Wow--

Oh yeah, the subs output makes it into the cabin no problem... on a side note-- and sounds awesome with ZERO rattle from the car.. None whatsoever...
Old 03-23-07, 07:22 PM
1996LS400
Driver

The right box will make all the difference. I went through 2 different boxes until finally getting it right. Both of my previous boxes were too small and sounded horrible.

I found out how many cu. ft. my woofer called for and got the right size box. In my case I went with ported after hearing both ported and sealed. I have no problems with the sound coming through my little 8" subwoofer hole on my LS and have no rattling as well.
Old 04-10-07, 10:13 AM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

i plan on doing this....
Old 04-10-07, 08:29 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

There ya go--

Old 04-11-07, 06:56 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

mjsc400, as you responded to my previous post about my blown nak subwoofer, i will share my experience with this problem. I wanted another 10" free-air for ht estock location and then i remembered i had an ultimate 10" sub which came in a ported box so the volume and port size are already matched and tuned. Although, i do remeber trying this set-up a long time ago and it wasn't very load. Well as a temp bass replacement i removed the stock sub completely to allow air flow and re-installed this box and the results are very good. Much high spl than the nak, yet more booming, especially with a ported set-up. So if you have a box in the trunk, removing the stock sub should be enough to get the air through and the volume you want. But for me i don't like having a sub box in the trunk which is already to small and just don't like the look either. Also, the nak was cleaner and better sound, so i do believe i will be trying another free air 10" (haven't decided which) and get back to everyone on sound quality. Also just for fun i am going to throw a couple of old 12''s in a sealed box for a weekend for some silly loudness, i'm wondering how terrible the sound quality and boomyness is going to be with those.
Old 04-11-07, 07:09 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

My single perfect 12.1 is probably cleaner than the stock freeair sub-- at least waaay louder while still being an ultra-clean sub--

This shallow mount sub is made by Elemental Designs-- I'd give it a shot -- they're only $70 -- Read the reviews here.