Sponsored by:

SC300 Radio has poor reception

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-07, 12:19 AM
stromer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Radio has poor reception

I had some body work done on the drivers side rear quarter panel and also installed a new trunk. Before the work was done the radio worked fine on both AM and FM. After the work, some FM channels come in very poor or not at all. Most of the channels come in ok. The antenna still goes up and down and still changes the height slightly when you change from AM to FM. The mechanic said he did not disturb anything - he had to remove the rear panels in front of the gas tank and they were re-installed. I could not find any disconnected cables. There is an electronic box behind the panel that looked ok.

Can anybody think of what might cause this poor FM reception especially at certain lower frequencies. Thanks, Rick
Old 04-07-07, 09:52 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to see if he removed the back seat--- The wiring to the antenna runs under the driver side front corner of the back seat-- an orange plug connects all the wires there--

Mine was very corroded on that side, and the antenna stopped functioning alltogether when I messed with that plug -- I tugged on some of the corroded wires to see if they were corroded thru completely-- which many were--

I just cut the plug out completely and painstakingly re-terminated every single wire with red butt splices-- I hated the job as 17 wires are involved there, and my knees ceased functioning by the time I had finished.

The antenna did however resume normal operation though, and I bet that could be the problem--

The electronic box you're talking about is for the car phone, which I removed completely, along with the little box by the power antenna--

You may want to just check the connections to your antenna to be sure something isn't disconnected, but I'd look at that orange plug before anything else--

It sounds like that's the probable cause.

Good luck

Originally Posted by stromer
I had some body work done on the drivers side rear quarter panel and also installed a new trunk. Before the work was done the radio worked fine on both AM and FM. After the work, some FM channels come in very poor or not at all. Most of the channels come in ok. The antenna still goes up and down and still changes the height slightly when you change from AM to FM. The mechanic said he did not disturb anything - he had to remove the rear panels in front of the gas tank and they were re-installed. I could not find any disconnected cables. There is an electronic box behind the panel that looked ok.

Can anybody think of what might cause this poor FM reception especially at certain lower frequencies. Thanks, Rick