Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

need some help. speaker upgrade going bad.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-07, 11:01 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some help. speaker upgrade going bad.

I need some help people. I started installing my infinity reference speakers yesterday.
I installed the back coaxials and they sounded great and then i installed the driver side components and it sounded fine for a while and then just when i was putting back the door panel, a weird "buzzing, hissing" sound starts coming from all the three infinity speakers (the last door has no speaker in it yet).
It covers the music from the speakers and music sounds like its far back while the weird sound dominates the three speakers. It kind of sounds like when you are getting bad reception on a radio station. I tried swapping the crossover for the component and still same thing is happening.
When i take out the component speaker RCAs from the amp, the two rear speakers keep working fine but when i plug them back in, the problem comes back.
i am using an alpine V12 amp (before the installation today, the stock speakers were working fine with the setup and all i intended to do was just swap out stock speakers for the infinitys).
is it the amp? am lost
anybody have any input? anything.

thanks
olddog
Old 04-08-07, 09:33 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got a serious ground loop or a damaged RCA cable--

You said when you remove the RCA from the amp, the noise goes away-- So if this is the case, if your rear speakers were connected to that amp, they would stop playing too-- It seems like you either have two pairs of rca's for your 4ch amp, or you're only running your components off the Alpine and rears off the factory amp--

Are you using the oem head unit or an aftermarket unit??

I had the same problem with nasty noise, until I installed an audio control 2xs, which is a 9v line driver, a 2way crossover, as well as THE BEST noise filter I've ever had my hands on--

The audio control unit has a triple isolated ground-- so it avoids any ground faults (which I think is your problem) --

An aftermarket head unit should fix any ground loops, but the factory unit will have them mucho-- you'll need to either re-ground your head unit to the same point as the amp by running a ground wire from your amp ground to your head unit, or get a noise filter-- Just beware that I've tried several and none worked except the audio control-- The 2xs can be found fairly cheaply, and EQL will work also-- and it's nice to have an EQL with the factory head unit- it gives you huge eq flexibility-- plus a 9v line driver with a triple isolated ground....

good luck bro-- I was scratchin my head on this system for a while myself-
Old 04-08-07, 08:35 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i have an eclipse nav unit. stock headunit is out, stock changer and amp and sub have been out since last year. the only stock things in there were the speakers and by replacing them i did not think any issue should arise. And before yesterday, everything was working fine with the eclipse + alpine v12 +stock speakers. BTW, because iwas getting some ground noise when i initially installed my eclipse and was getting some noise, i used some ground loop isolators which worked fine.
i have some nice RCAs from amp to headunit which should not be a problem.
for the first 10mins after installing the front component, it sounded fine and then when putting back the panel, the sound came out. again, i switxhed the crossover but same thing. and it stops when i pull the front RCA from the amp, everything (back speakers) sound fine. right now i have only have the back speakers running cos i pulled the front RCA.
any input? gurus, where art thou?
Old 04-08-07, 08:40 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Possibly-- a broken RCA cable- Get another one-- attach it to the head unit, and run it straight to the amp-- if it fixes it-- replace the one that's presently in place --
Old 04-08-07, 08:55 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Thanks alot for your advice.
i guess that could be a reason. But why would the RCA cable break. i was nowhere close to it. I plan on going ahead and installing the passenger side component and if does not happen with that side, then i know there is something wrong with the wiring for the first(most likely the RCA).
But even a broken RCAS would just stop the speaker from sounding, right?
i really doubt it is the RCA cause they have been run from the headunit and safely tucked under the door sill to the trunk and they are the thick ones(not the light cheap ones).
Old 04-08-07, 09:04 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I can't say exactly what it is without pulling it apart myself-- but if the signal ground somehow found it's way to bare metal, it could cause some serious noise--

Checking it is just one of the many steps to solving the problem--

You may also check the ground loop isolators, as you actually shouldn't need them with a high end head unit like that--

If you have an extra amp on hand, (after you determine it's none of the above) you may do well to switch it out just to eliminate that as the problem-- Just by plugging in another one, you'll know for sure--

That happened to me-- Switched the amp, no noise--

Cheap ground loop isolators seem to cause problems by my exprience-- I would go with something higher end--

If you check ALL of this and still don't solve this problem, I would go for an EQL -- they're cheap enough lately to pick one up just to try to solve this problem... Plus you'd have a high end 13 band 1/3 octave eq and 9v line driver-

A mint EQL was on craigslist not too long ago for $75 --