Sponsored by:

Subwoofer Replacing The Stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 09:13 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crispy--

I would recommend Focal anything-- though there are other brands that will do just as well for less money, sometimes much less--

I'm betting the SQ10 -- (above) would sound awesome-- even with 100w or 150w-- but make sure it's clean power-- That sub's so slim you could easily fit an enclosure under it of the appropriate size ( .3 ft^3 I think ) made from f-glass and a bit of mdf-- It wouldn't be that hard to do and would most likely be the best sounding option available-- period--
Old 04-19-07, 12:31 PM
boostedny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jsut want very clear sound as well as aound quality..waht would you suggest..I was gunna do focal amps,sub and speakers..wahts your opinion
Old 04-20-07, 07:25 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here... Does the Lexus SC have a 10" stock subwoofer opening/location? That's pretty dope if it does... My IS350's stock location was like 7" or something, but odd sized (not an even number)...

I just added a single 10" W6 in sealed enclosure... But my first choice would have been free air in the stock location!
Old 04-20-07, 11:21 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The Focal's will rock--

But don't count ED out -- they've got some very good amps, components, and subs that are ahead of the curve in all aspects-- some of the best sound quality per dollar out there-- edesignaudio.com
Old 04-20-07, 03:51 PM
boostedny
Pole Position

what could you compare them to..I look at there website the 5 channel amp looks good..but would the pretty high total harmonic distortion be audible or not
Old 04-20-07, 09:44 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_J
If you want a full sized sub (not a shallow mount) then it will work. There are also hundreds of others that will work as well. My favorite based on specs and reputation is the TC7.

-Robert
+1

if you want to do 3 6.5's its going to be kinda lame. i ran 4 of them,i sold them within the week i bought it. gave all 4 600wrms, meh

the TC is nice though, but pricey

sorry, i have not been impressed with ED. Nice on paper, I bet their amps are the ****, but subs, ill look another way. Friend has a KV9 8" sub in free air and then changed it to sealed. Its good, but there is better.
Old 04-20-07, 09:48 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedny
what could you compare them to..I look at there website the 5 channel amp looks good..but would the pretty high total harmonic distortion be audible or not

if you have ears like i do, maybe, but I was blessed with the gift of hearing in audible sounds (to a point). Its your just an average listener, im sure you couldnt hear it. I like their 5ch amp, but its just expensive.
Old 04-20-07, 10:08 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Dude-- The ED amps are rated at like .02% @ rms power ratings--

You won't hear .1 --

The ED amps are nice by any standard--

The 9kv.2 subs are awesome-- a 14mm xmax on an 8" is impressive-- The only thing that may be lacking is output due to cone area-- There's no getting around it, but with 3 of them -- they would knock-- I have no doubts about that-- They're more driver than the older JL w6's, and 3 of ANY of the old w6's would knock--

ED has some pretty tight QC -- I sure wouldn't count them out--

The CDT components on sale at woofersetc.com are a very nice set for $200 though, and I wouldn't hesitate to get an ED 5ch, a TC sub or two, and those CDT comp's -- no second thoughts whatsoever--

The Cadence CWM6KKIT also used to retail for about $300 through dealers back in 2003, and due to popular demand and a great excess of all the necessary parts from their supplier they made up 1000 sets from excess parts to sell at a super discounted $89 shipped-- I've owned them and they're very nice-- They are not a $90 comp set I assure you-- They are up there with the Polk DB's for an example-- 25mm silk tweets crossed at about 2k, and a nice puncy and accurate aluminum mid that will play right down to your subs without breaking a sweat-- I've auditioned these next to my Polk Audio S6 bookshelf speakers to compare accuracy, extension, and sensitivity, and amazingly the timber is very close, and delicate sounds like female vocals and piano/sax are spot on and can also achieve very high volume levels while being super accurate-
For reference, the polk s6's are a superb quality home speaker that is accurate to studio monitor levels and won't be replaced for a very long time for my front channels -- The Polk tweet is just a tad smoother, but very easy to eq the difference in on the silk cadence tweet--

Last edited by MJHSC400; 04-21-07 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-21-07, 09:37 AM
boostedny
Pole Position

Im thinking about running the whole ed setup witht he 5 channel amp

6500's,and the slim 10
' sub..what should I go for in the rear of them
Old 04-21-07, 09:59 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

honestly-- all you need is midrange and that's it--

So, the best way to achieve that is to buy a separate mid and cross it over-- no need to buy a full comp set--

Go to partsexpress.com and get a pair of either stock sized dayton mids or some 6.5's and make baffles-- either way just a pair of 4ohm mids will work -- cross them over high pass at 120hz and put a coil in series with the mid of the appropriate value to achieve a 6db/octave low pass around 3.5khz -- Calculate the proper coil here. These coils are sold at partsexpress also, and the higher freq. coils are much smaller and very cheap, so maybe $5 for both coils you'd need--

Or as another option you could always get the Cadence comp. set and you'd have a 2 way crossover, 25mm silk tweets, and some very good 6.5 AL coned mids --- and use the mids and xover for rear fill-- voila-- also, you can cross them over lower, around 70hz for rear fill as they'll be turned down a good bit relative to the fronts-- if you pop them, just turn the xover up to 80hz or 90hz to keep them from bottoming out -- I doubt you'll pop them in rear fill though-- Just depends how loud you run them honestly-- All mids do this by the way-- just to let you know-- and it's bad--

There's no need in dumping a bunch of money on rear fills anyway-- and the dayton's at partsexpress.com are $20 each and very good quality-- and 4ohm --

Last edited by MJHSC400; 04-21-07 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-23-07, 06:21 AM
boostedny
Pole Position

how much wattage to the daytons handle..and beeing that they are mount on the rear deck would it sound bad ..would i be be able to get the ED 5 channel..and only run 2 channels and the sub channel for now