Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

All this talk about subs--- What about components? Head Units? Amps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 10:00 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All this talk about subs--- What about components? Head Units? Amps?

I just hope to start some discussion about the more important aspects of audio installs--

*Who's doin it?
*What head unit?
*Why?
*What components and why?
*What amps and why? Any specs? Reviews? Birthsheets?

Also:

*Current Audio/Video Setups-- Post pics-- specs-- experiences--

I'm interested in head units and components way more than subs-- Subs are great, and I know what I like, but TONS of companies are building them-- Good components on a budget however are very very rare-- If they even exist-- Any input on this??

What about great quality amps? Experiences-- SPL records-- SQ trophies-- etc..

Links to innovative and functional installs are also a plus--

Just trying to get some wheels turning--

I've learned about some great equipment just from talking to other people on this forum that will undoubtedly save me money on subs in the future-- I want to know about some great component sets or hand selected drivers that make magic happen-- That kind of stuff--

Right now-- I have a pair of MB referenz 3.5" mids-- they're indestructable-- I've got some Diamond Audio Hex 6.5's and xovers on the way-- and an AudioControl 2XS that will split signal to drive this 3 way setup properly-- I got a set of cadence 28mm silk tweets that I have not been able to blow and remain clean, smooth, and detailed after a year of abuse-- I mean abuse-- Tons of full volume road trips-- I'm nearly deaf! But the tweets still work-- as do the MB mids--

I know it's kinda off the beaten path, but this sorta stuff is what makes the difference between good sound q and unprecedented sound quality--
Old 04-12-07, 10:14 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, i know i cannot match your knowledge skills on audio stuff unless i spend more time researching(am a fast learner) on CL and what not.
But i will tell you that the Eclipse headunits are very very impressive.
i had the Eclipse avn2454 and swicthed to the AVN 5496 and without changing anything else felt an immediate improvement in loudness, sound and quality.
Also, checked out the pioneer D3 today but am not too impressed with it. the buttons all on one side along with the huge volume **** take away from the visual aspect. Don't know about the quality though.
Old 04-12-07, 10:48 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive also heard alot about eclipse units being superb
Old 04-13-07, 12:03 AM
animefreak
Driver

I use to love Pioneer Headunits, but out of 4 pioneers I have owned I always get some sort of engine whine/noise. I know some might say it has to do with my install and not the headunit but I read over on sounddomain.com that this is a common thing with Pioneer headunits. So I made the switch to Alpine and could not be more happy.
Also I have a little ranting to do on MB Quart speakers but I will wait for that after I get some sleep (2 am atm).
Old 04-13-07, 09:42 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

I have a FEW Head Units sitting around which I really want to Incorporate/Install in my 04 LS430 (ML/NAV)..BUT I am NOT willing to change the OEM look up front...

HUs I currently have -
Clarion DRZ 9255
RF/Denon 8250Ti
Alpine 9833

Amps I need to Install-
TRU Technology C7
TRU Technology T03 4.150

Elemental Designs Nine1 (X2)
Elemental Designs Nine2x (X2)

Processors -
TRU Technology F1A (Line Driver / X-Over)
Hifonics Plato (OLD SCHOOL) 10 Band Quasi Parametric EQ

Speaker Components -

CDT Audio ES 07 3 Way System
CDT Audio ES 643 (Yellow Eurosports)
CDT Audio ES SQ 10" Subs (x3)
CDT Audio UpStage Kit, Center Stage Kit, Front Fills
CDT Audio MX5000 Prototype Crossovers

Right now, all I have installed in my LS430 is a small MONO Amp to power a pair of 10" CDT Audio Subs.....SOO Sad...What a wastes of AWESOME gear.

Mike
Old 04-13-07, 10:36 AM
clammbo
Driver School Candidate

Default my system

93 gs300
system

Headunit
Rockford fosgate rfx9300.......Maybe Changing to Rockford Fosgate "Denon"8250ti......But I don't know if it's worth the money, and will it change my system that much?

Speakers
Eclipse SC8254 5 1/4 Component set
Eclipse se8365 6.5 Rear speakers

Sub
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1VQ sub

Amp
JL E6450 6 Channel amp

now if I could only get it to work.
Old 04-13-07, 11:07 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

see signature
Old 04-13-07, 04:08 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Nice stuff!

CDT is said to be a premiere line of car audio gear-- DEI is also some good stuff of yesteryear--

I have owned 3 different eclipse head units-- 54** something- 5v output-- great unit

Now I have an 8443-- TRULY awesome single din headunit-- TRULY superb-- Ever heard of a Premier DEX- P1R?? The 8443 has it beat in terms of features and quality-- hands down--

8v preouts-- High pass, mid/band pass, low pass xovers (pro mode) -- selectabe slope @ 6/12/18/24 db per octave-- PLUS-- 10 band TRUE parametric eq-- PLUS -- time alignment per channel--

Basically all you need for a solid sound quality competition head unit-- and a built in dsp-- PLEASE beat that one-- I want to know about it!

I would personally love to own some Dynaudio polyglass subs-- or any of their speakers-- Focal is good stuff too-- but I'm only impressed with their high end stuff-- their lower end is just "good" -- There are other "good" lines that are better--

I HATE metal tweets too-- just a personal preference of actually having accurate sound reproduction without that tinkliness of a metal tweet--

A metal tweet needs a good suspension to be properly damped, and usually a rear chamber to tune it properly--

Silk or textile tweeters on the other hand seem much more sensitive to power in most cases, but also play more accurately and smoothly-- AND- since I'm not into the T T T T T T -- ssssssss -- you know what I'm talking about-- The guy at the red light with all his pyramid tweeters-- come on--

I like a flat response that can reproduce any frequency at any volume well into the ear bleed section--
Old 04-13-07, 06:10 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
I HATE metal tweets too-- just a personal preference of actually having accurate sound reproduction without that tinkliness of a metal tweet--
That's exactly why I don't have Focal tweets, nor a Focal setup in front. I can't stand the inverted domes for any length of time without wanting to shoot myself in the head. And I can't afford the Utopia or whatever their best line is these days. Dyns for me.

Per your comment on CDT - I heard their demo car at CES. Pretty impressive. I don't see their stuff as being very technically or sonically superior, it's just that they've hit an excellent sound quality point at a great price point. Hard to do. Highly recommended for anyone that doesn't want to drop a ton of cash but still wants awesome sound.

Jerry
Old 04-13-07, 07:21 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I've actually had surprising results with cadence components-- The aluminum coned mids with a silk tweet-- The xovers are top notch -- better than many that come with $250 comp sets-- The tweets are good if you get the right ones-- The 28mm silk domes with their ZR line are actually very good-- and look to be the same as the RE entry level line-- which I doubt are shabby--

Overall though-- if you can do it- Morel is probably the best bang for the buck on the market-

I am getting my hands on some Diamond Audio Hex mids and xovers though-- I will have those, a pair of MB referenz (the older high end referenz when it was their premiere line) -- plus some Soundstream Xact 28mm multi material dome tweets -- Which are actually a silk dome with an ultrathin aluminum cap bonded to the silk dome-- VERY cool -- These were from a very high end comp set that cost around $400 -- Usually the only thing that improves above that price point is the mid, aesthetics, and xovers-- and the tweet pretty much stays close to the same--

For cheap components -- the Cadence CWM6Kit is only $90 shipped from their online store-- it's their old stock-- originally sold for about $200 through dealers-- They will beat the pants off any other $100~ $150 comp set on the market-- and some $200 sets as well-- Polk DB's come to mind in comparison-- The cadence mids are monstrous, have big voice coils, and are fast and accurate-- I was very surprised with what I got for the money-- They also support their products like mad--
Old 04-13-07, 07:56 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of metal tweets-- I had 2 pairs of MB quart 5.25 component sets-- The QM's or QCX's -- just the entry series-- great mid and xover, tiny tweet-- Still sounded good--

These were powered by a single RF 225.2 -- Birthsheeted at about 638w rms--

I would run these components so loud and long they would cut this amp off-- thermal protection-- I smoked a few of those MB metal tweets-- but I guess considering the power I had on them-- They were a pretty robust component set-- (350w per side ) --

Think that was enough power?

I'm sorry I didn't hear you--
Old 04-13-07, 10:43 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Head unit: Eclipse AVN5500 am/fm cd/MP3 DVD with Navigation.
- 5 volt pre-outputs
- Easily adjustable parametric EQ
- Excellent sound reproduction

Front speakers: Alpine Type X 5.25's in the stock locations (heavily modified to fit them of course)
- Decent mid-bass reproduction
- sub-standard imaging where they are right now
- Amazingly soft and warm tweeter
- I recommend Bi-amping them for optimum performance (min. 75 wattts per speaker)

Amplifiers: Alpine PDX1.000 for the subs and Alpine PDX4.150 bi-amped to the fronts.
- clean and powerful amplifiers especially for the size. 4X150 to the fronts is enough power for most speakers. 1000 watts to the subs in an amp that could be mistaken for a box of girlguide cookies.
- Very attractive looking and easy to install.

Subs: Digital Designs 2500 series in 12" (X2). I have yet to finish my all fibreglass enclosure but I have used these subs before. Great subs at a very reasonable price. No glitz or glam - just lots of great smooth sounding bass. Should be a great match for the PDX1.1000.
Old 04-14-07, 04:56 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm goign to have to second the opinion on CDTs.. I have a set of CDT EF-51 components in my front doors, and I LOVE them. My roommate has the CDT ES 07's, and they sound amazing as well... better mid response. I think i get slightly better imaging, however. I remember reading that the effects of beaming are a lot worse with bigger speakers at certain frequencies.. that may be it.

I'm looking to upgrade to a larger set of CDT's however, possibly a 3-way setup, and so that I can push a little more power to them. Currently running 75 Wrms to each.. looking to push about 125WRMs to my fronts eventually.
Old 04-14-07, 04:57 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you about the metal tweets. My roommate and I bought our CDT's together, and he opted for the metal tweets.. I can't stand them. I love my silks. They just sound so much more natural.. the metal tweeters make my head hurt! And at higher volumes, the silks really shine.
Old 04-14-07, 02:24 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

I don't have any issues with my Focal tweeters, I think they're a lot better than MB Quart dome tweeters. I do have to say that the McIntosh silk dome tweeters are a VERY nice compliment to the older Utopias.

If I can get rid of my two sets of Utopias for enough I'm gonna get a set of active Utopia Be's

Quick Reply: All this talk about subs--- What about components? Head Units? Amps?