Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Have some general audio questions, have searched.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 01:53 PM
LS400_Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have some general audio questions, have searched.

Hello

I own a 1996 LS400 with the stock pioneer system and frankly, it blows. My old car was a Dodge SRT-4 with the STOCK system and an aftermarket head unit and it blows this crap out of the water (didn't even have a sub).

ANYWAY

So i'm not looking to develop any "crazy" system. Just something that equals my old stock one. However i do want to install a AVIC-D3.

Now, from what i've read the stock amp won't work with aftermarket units right? So you need to bypass it correct? But then obviously it really isn't going to sound too well.

So what am i do here? Replace all the speakers, head unit, and buy a new amp? Or is there a cheaper solution? Again i'm not looking to go crazy. Just something equal to my old one. Also i'm not worried about the stock CD changer since i'll be using the integrated IPOD controls and will also just hookup my Zune to it. So no need for the CD changer.

Thanks again
Old 04-17-07, 05:11 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed an aftermarket stereo in my car and I had to bypass the amps. What I did was run new wires all the way to the rear speakers, and ran wires to the plug by the kick panels and tapped into the stock speaker wires for the doors. No need to run the wires to the door speakers themselves.

I am still using stock speakers, but I upgraded my subwoofer by buying an aftermarket amp and subwoofer in box.

Overall I think my sound system sounds pretty good without the use of factory amps.
Old 04-17-07, 05:59 PM
LS400_Fan
Driver School Candidate

So maybe i should start with the following:

1) The head unit i want to purchase
2) A new sub
3) Get a better amp

Then keep all the stock speakers and decide after that.

What do you think?
thanks
Old 04-17-07, 06:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400_Fan
So maybe i should start with the following:

1) The head unit i want to purchase
2) A new sub
3) Get a better amp

Then keep all the stock speakers and decide after that.

What do you think?
thanks
That is a great start. Just installed a quick system in my 99 the same way. For now, I'm just using the internal amp in the head unit. Later I'll add my aftermarket amps. I had the Nakamichi and I thought it was just okay. Nothing special. In fact, I thought my regular system in my wifes old RX330 was better. You will have to add an amp to power that sub though, as once you bypass the stock amp you won't have anything to power the sub.

For the speakers, I just tapped the plug at the amp under the passenger seat.
Old 04-17-07, 08:14 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use the factory amps with an aftermarket head unit-- you just have to be creative and able to read a wiring diagram--

The factory amps operate on low level signals just like aftermarket amps do.

I'm running my aftermarket amps on a factory head unit so I can't see why it wouldn't work the other way around.
Old 04-17-07, 08:45 PM
LS400_Fan
Driver School Candidate

So i'd be using the amp that's built in the head unit and the factory one too? i'm confused.
Old 04-17-07, 09:07 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Naah-- I was thinking you wouldn't be using the amp in your head unit-- But, on second thought it may be more powerful depending on what kind of head unit it is--

I was merely stating that you could use the factory amps with an aftermarket head unit--

It MAY really wake the factory amps up running them a stronger preamp signal, as the 92 Pioneer head unit has a pretty weak preamp signal-- your new one will be at least 2wice the oem preamp power--
Old 04-17-07, 09:16 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Naah-- I was thinking you wouldn't be using the amp in your head unit-- But, on second thought it may be more powerful depending on what kind of head unit it is--

I was merely stating that you could use the factory amps with an aftermarket head unit--

It MAY really wake the factory amps up running them a stronger preamp signal, as the 92 Pioneer head unit has a pretty weak preamp signal-- your new one will be at least 2wice the oem preamp power--