Sponsored by:

Looking to get nice, affordable bass package for sc400

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 04:39 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Looking to get nice, affordable bass package for sc400

I found an add in Best buy (this sundays) for 349 with sony amp and 2 12" sony subs. says regularly 509. it also comes with a "dual chamber, rear firing sub box" Could i use my stock HU from 93 sc400? What else do i need, wires? How much is installation? Is it easy enough to have a friend help me with?

sorry for all the questions,
id appreciate any responce.
thanks,
vince

also, is this what you would reccomend? if not, what else?
Old 04-17-07, 08:08 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For that much money-- you could get a REAL sub with a REAL amp--

A TC sounds DB500 12" sub is $110 shipped-- and you can grab a Hifonics BX1206D or whatever the model is for $240 on sale at woofersetc.com-- OR -- You could get a Cadence Ultradrive z8000 -- 500w amp @ $179 shipped -- full factory warranty-- at the Cadence Online Store-- This amp will kick that DB500 very well--

Tighter sub, less space taken up, and it's in a whole other class of woofer I can assure you-- --Either of the two above would be a better amp also (by far) --

Start running the other way when you hear Best Buy scream package deal on sony subs--

You'll be glad you did if you take this advice--

You can pick up a cheap sealed box for $25 on ebay-- about 1 ft^3 is perfect -- to finish off the "package" --

You can install this too, but tapping into the amp low level signals is a little involved but totally doable with decent insructions--
Old 04-18-07, 05:52 AM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

wow thanks man... is there a certain box you would reccommentd?
Old 04-18-07, 09:47 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Uhhh-- Well, there is a certain box TC would recommend -- I don't remember but the product page will tell you--

Ported= sick loud with 500w

Sealed= loud and very tight/accurate bass --

The DB500's are said to be very accurate subs-- Up there with the TC7 in terms of sq and output-- just a less expensive stamped steel basket to lower their costs of production-- makes no difference of sq or output or quality whatsoever-- (remember the old JL w6's-- stamped steel basket-- clean, tight, and LOUD!)
Old 04-18-07, 08:34 PM
labtec
Driver

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
You can install this too, but tapping into the amp low level signals is a little involved but totally doable with decent insructions--
Hey guys.

I'm looking for that same setup and I think I'm going to go with MJH's recommendation, the subs look pretty slick (i hope they sound as nice as they look).

This guy was going to charge we $70 to install an amp and subs w/material. MJH, do you know where I could find such instructions? I could then save the $70 and put it towards the system.

Thanks
Old 04-18-07, 09:09 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Don't get me wrong-- there's nothing wrong with paying someone if you have zero experience-- you can usually find sombody that's not trying to rip you off, and if he's supplying the materials, and it's legit power wire and he's not gonna F up your car, that's decent--

I ALWAYS do a better job on my own car than most ever do on my car-- Just how it is--

These wiring diagrams found on intellexual.net along with somebody helping you a little should be adequate for you to do this yourself--

BUT -- beware of noise-- though you may not have a problem with it if you aren't running a new amp for your mids/highs --

You still may need to boost your preamp voltage a bit to juice the amp adequately-- These are things you run into when integrating equipment from 2005 with a factory system likely designed in 1990 --

To achieve a boost in preamp voltage, a number of crossovers, line drivers, and equalizers are available through several companies that will do what you need them to --

Audiocontrol's 2xs is becoming very cheap, and while it will act as a crossover generally preset to 80hz, it's also a very good noise isolator as well as a very strong preamp line driver-- 9v to be exact--

The EQl by AudioControl is of yesteryear but still better than most other products built today-- if you can find one in mint or good condition, SNAG it! (ANY used audiocontrol products that WORK are worth the money hands down-- and the company repairs any item for a flat $35 -- how's that for kickin a$$ )

Cadence seems to have good deals most of the time-- This 7 band peq would be a good addition to any system-- and it's a 7v line driver as well as a low pass xover-- 18db /octave -- $59 shipped -- a steal with the ratings it's got-- parametric eq's are very good to have in a car setting btw-- http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...9&idproduct=51
This is a single din unit, but it could be mounted in the trunk in a hidden location also-- but I wouldn't mind having that sitting under my Eclipse 8443. The only problem is my 8443 IS a 10 band PEQ, with a DSP, time alignment, 3 crossovers with selectable 6/12/18/24 db/octave points-- blahh blahh -- Just no fancy screen that's double din -- oh well --

PIE makes a cheap line driver that I wouldn't mess with, it just injected my whole system with tons of noise-- But the noise problem may be isolated to rare cases -- so you may not get any-- but it's better safe than sorry--

Last edited by MJHSC400; 04-19-07 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-18-07, 09:28 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

THis is also a very good deal too-- and it's variable-- A 2way xover by kicker with 5v line driver -- at least you know it'll be decent quality-- and it's only $55-- This would be enough to wake up an amp -- or two amps http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1304
Old 04-18-07, 09:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

THis is also a very good deal too-- and it's variable-- A 2way xover by kicker with 5v line driver -- at least you know it'll be decent quality-- and it's only $55-- This would be enough to wake up an amp -- or two amps http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1304
i hate to hiijack the thread BUT

MJH, what do you think of a single Hifonics BXi 1206D running at approx 1.7ohm pushing a single TC Sounds TC-3000 12" in a ported enclosure?

unless im mistaken thats the most bang i can get for <$550 (sans enclosure)
Old 04-19-07, 09:10 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Go for it--

That SCHIT will bang dude-- holy smokes-- you're askin for it--

It outta be like a nice hard kick to the chest--

You'd be at 1.4 ohm wired like this --
Old 04-19-07, 12:36 PM
labtec
Driver

Go for it--

That SCHIT will bang dude-- holy smokes-- you're askin for it--

It outta be like a nice hard kick to the chest--

You'd be at 1.4 ohm wired like this --
I might end up doing this b/c I'm thinking one speaker will take up less space in the already small sc400 trunk.

Will I be able to feel this in the driver seat?? Do i have to change my alternator???

Thanks
Old 04-19-07, 04:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by labtec
I might end up doing this b/c I'm thinking one speaker will take up less space in the already small sc400 trunk.

Will I be able to feel this in the driver seat?? Do i have to change my alternator???

Thanks
you should be able to feel it in the next state

my planned ported enclosure is more ofr SPL but a sealed enclosure would still give u bone-rattling bass.

idk about an alternator (havent planned that far out yet) but id at least put in a 2farad cap.

i was originally going to do 2 10s in a bass-reflex (4th order) enclosure but the TC3000 doesnt come in 10" and 2 12"s (approx 2200w) would rattle the hell outta my car and cost me approx double what i wanna spend (around $1100-1200).

but i think the 1amp 1sub setup should be "sufficient"
Old 04-19-07, 05:06 PM
labtec
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you should be able to feel it in the next state

my planned ported enclosure is more ofr SPL but a sealed enclosure would still give u bone-rattling bass.

idk about an alternator (havent planned that far out yet) but id at least put in a 2farad cap.
thanks!

I think I'll go with this setup. A few questions..

What does ofr SPL mean?
Can you point me in the right direction as to what type of box to get??
Do you recommend any particular capacitor?

thanks again man
Old 04-19-07, 05:34 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Don't get me wrong-- there's nothing wrong with paying someone if you have zero experience-- you can usually find sombody that's not trying to rip you off, and if he's supplying the materials, and it's legit power wire and he's not gonna F up your car, that's decent--

I ALWAYS do a better job on my own car than most ever do on my car-- Just how it is--

These wiring diagrams found on intellexual.net along with somebody helping you a little should be adequate for you to do this yourself--

BUT -- beware of noise-- though you may not have a problem with it if you aren't running a new amp for your mids/highs --

You still may need to boost your preamp voltage a bit to juice the amp adequately-- These are things you run into when integrating equipment from 2005 with a factory system likely designed in 1990 --

To achieve a boost in preamp voltage, a number of crossovers, line drivers, and equalizers are available through several companies that will do what you need them to --

Audiocontrol's 2xs is becoming very cheap, and while it will act as a crossover generally preset to 80hz, it's also a very good noise isolator as well as a very strong preamp line driver-- 9v to be exact--

The EQl by AudioControl is of yesteryear but still better than most other products built today-- if you can find one in mint or good condition, SNAG it! (ANY used audiocontrol products that WORK are worth the money hands down-- and the company repairs any item for a flat $35 -- how's that for kickin a$$ )

Cadence seems to have good deals most of the time-- This 7 band peq would be a good addition to any system-- and it's a 7v line driver as well as a low pass xover-- 18db /octave -- $59 shipped -- a steal with the ratings it's got-- parametric eq's are very good to have in a car setting btw-- http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...9&idproduct=51
This is a single din unit, but it could be mounted in the trunk in a hidden location also-- but I wouldn't mind having that sitting under my Eclipse 8443. The only problem is my 8443 IS a 10 band PEQ, with a DSP, time alignment, 3 crossovers with selectable 6/12/18/24 db/octave points-- blahh blahh -- Just no fancy screen that's double din -- oh well --

PIE makes a cheap line driver that I wouldn't mess with, it just injected my whole system with tons of noise-- But the noise problem may be isolated to rare cases -- so you may not get any-- but it's better safe than sorry--

You are car audio god.

i cant say i know what any of that means really but i think i will go with that amp and sub you reccommended
Old 04-19-07, 05:38 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Z8000CF + 12" dB-500= $288... what else do i need for these to work?, a box and wires? which cheap but good ones do u reccomend?
thanks

edit: dont kill me for this but i found it on ebay. i dont need it to be flawless clean bass, im just a highschool kid tryin not to break the nearly non existent bank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VISON...em270111133226

Last edited by vince1128; 04-19-07 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-19-07, 11:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by vince1128
Z8000CF + 12" dB-500= $288... what else do i need for these to work?, a box and wires? which cheap but good ones do u reccomend?
thanks

edit: dont kill me for this but i found it on ebay. i dont need it to be flawless clean bass, im just a highschool kid tryin not to break the nearly non existent bank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VISON...em270111133226
*cough*CRAP*cough*

Quick Reply: Looking to get nice, affordable bass package for sc400