Sponsored by:

Salesman's Pitch - I'd Like Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 07:10 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Diamonds

Z- I'd take the silk domes over the aluminium tweets as the metal ones are quite bright & somewhat harsh. Their dispersion pattern is somewhat narrow as well. The HEX series is smoother than the Motorsport series anyway but unless U like bright highs ( 'ala MBQ ), try the silks. It also depends on their location - I've got Focal Polykevlar tweets ( rather bright as well ) in the kicks but since they're so far away & generally partially blocked by legs, I can get away with them. I have the Diamond SM5.1ts silk tweets in the A-pillars, though & have them attenuated down just enough to raise the soundstage to eye level. I tried some titanium 1" Focals up there but they screamed at me!!:eek:
Old 12-03-01, 07:19 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty much anything from Diamond audio (especially their HEX lineup) is a safe bet. I tend to like the silk tweeters better as the metal ones will resonate at around 17khz. MBQ Q series sent me a frequency response chart and at 12khz and up it's about 6db louder than the rest of the system. At 17khz it gets 9db louder and at 20khz it gets even louder still. That's why dogs can hear them and it gets painful for them too!

Response chart will be in the book.

Percy
Old 12-03-01, 08:00 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, Percy and MG. Silks it is, or rather, silks it will be.

Percy, I'm glad to see you've taken it upon yourself to put out your wealth of knowledge in written form, i.e. the book. Now if we could just get our local wheel aficionado to work on his manifesto.