Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

I guess it is the head Unit.Percy.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-01, 10:09 AM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess it is the head Unit.Percy.

Well percy The remote turn on works now.. Somehow. But I still am only getting sound in the front 2 tweeters. I am guessing that the head unit is not putting out a loud enough signal. I put in a new Nakamichi amp from a 95 SC Nakamichi, still no sound, so I guess it has to be the Head unit...Anyways. Now I am posting this add everywhere.

I need a Nakamichi Head unit. I replaced the amp and the unit has sound only in the front two tweeters. Quiet sound. Like the reciever is not sending any signal to the amplifier.

If you have upgraded and want to sell your Nakamichi reciever let me know.

Email me at wscottwilliams@home.com
or call me at 270-996-2034

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-01-01, 10:42 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Just for my own info and education. Would you be the headunit that is putting out a small signal. Cause an amplier is suppose to produce a lot of gain right? Thus making the signal larger peak to peak until it gets clipped. That's wierd, unless the amplifier isn't do something right?

Hey Percy, are most amplifiers, take the ac small signal and convert to a large signal or how does it work with car amps? Thanks.
Old 12-01-01, 05:53 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

SC400ondubz,

Before you jump, check the wiring and line level converters. You mentioned that you were using the stock head unit. It could be something as simple as the interconnects. Really strange on how two channels will quit like that.

What is your configuration so far? This well help me diagnose the system better.

GSnav,

Yep, you got it. Small AC signal going into the amp. Then the amp uses whatever it's got in the power supply to generate the sine wave out. If it's overloaded or the gain is too sensitive, then it starts chopping the tops off the sine waves. Gets nasty from there on.

Of course in the background there's alot of filtering for the power supply going on, some dc to ac conversion and all the other electronics doing their jobs. Car amps and home amps work the same way, only with the home amp everything is easier. You already have an AC power supply (just plug in a torriod and filtering) so all it need to do is to power up the power transistors and any other associated electronics. There's alot more current AND voltage going through the home stuff which would explain why a 300 dollar home receiver still sounds pretty darn good!

Percy
Old 12-02-01, 08:27 AM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default The system is stock Percy..

GSNav,

I am glad you come to clublexus to get educated..

Percy,

The system in this car is totally stock.. NO aftermarket stuff yet.

I replaced the amp using the rational that the sound was faint so I assumed the amp was not amplifing the signal(who would of thought of that GSNav) But I have two working SC amps and both of them have the same symptoms.. Only low volume sound in the front two tweeters

I tested the speakers, they are good, (what is the chance that all 5 should go out..) So my only ideas are that the Reciever is not giving enough signal to the amp.

I also checked the resistance on the volume ***, totally fine...

Any other ideas Percy..
I think it probably the Reciever, they are very touchy as we all know.....

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-02-01, 05:29 PM
Percy

You answered your own question! How does the wiring harness look? More than likely (99%) it's the head unit like you mentioned.

Percy
Old 12-03-01, 01:19 PM
amati5
Driver

Percy,

You must me an expert since people asked you for your suggestions. I have one for you, too.

The rear speakers of my Nak went dead. The sub-woofer still works ok. Couple of months ago, my kids put coins in the tape player's slot causing the whole system shutting itself down whenever i went over a bump or made a turn. I could turn it back on and it would work as normal (didn't pay attention to the rear speakers at the time) until i hit another bump or made another turn.

I removed the unit and had all the coins taken out and the system is now working fine except for the rear speakers. What do you suggest the problem is.

Thx
Old 12-03-01, 01:38 PM
Percy

Are the rears dead in all modes? Tape, cd, fm and am? If so, the coins probably took out some circuitry within the head unit. Or it may have shorted something that was wired to the amp.

Percy
Old 12-03-01, 04:26 PM
amati5
Driver

Thx Percy,

That's what i was afraid to find out. So far they don't respond to FM and CD mode and I assume all. According the manual, if it's both, it's NOT the head unit and I am thinking it's the amp. My wishful thinking is the speakers which are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 12-03-01, 07:35 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Amat5

I now have an extra working Nakamichi amp. If you need it...

email me at wscottwilliams@home.com if you need it...
Good price.. $1000 at the dealer....700 at junkyard..

Good Luck,
Scott