Sponsored by:

Revamping my system - Newbie to car audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 07:15 AM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revamping my system - Newbie to car audio

Nearly two years ago, I changed my stock naka- SC400 system and dropped in 2 12" kickers comp, 2 phoenix gold amps, 2 sets of 4" rear/front diamond audio speakers, and a pioneer head unit. I couldn't give you guys the exact wattage and specs of the equipment because it's been a while, but, I can tell you that I spent more than a grand on everything. And I am just not satisfied with the sound.

This was not a professional job, my cousin and I worked on it together so there was a possibility that we could've connected the wires wrong. but, I later checked with a friend of mine who professionally installs audio systems and he took a quick glance and said everything seemed fine and just made some minor tweaks on the amps. He improved the sound slightly but it is just seemed lacking in quality overall.

So, after 2 years, since its installation, I CAN NOT take it anymore . Summer is almost here and I NEED to improve my system!

To be specific about what's wrong with the "sound":
- The rear speakers just over-power the front speakers in volume.
We've tried turning up the gains in the fronts while decreasing the ones in the back, but, it just ends up sounding uneven regardless. When I try to adjust the HU and bring all the audio through the Fronts, it still barely sounds like it's on.

- My subwoofers generate a decent amount of bass. The problem is it doesn't sound crisp and clear. I notice that the vibrating panel in the back every time the bass kicks in has a lot to do with the sound, but even when the trunk is open and I'm standing right in front of it, it just doesn't sound right. I really can't find the words to describe it, but, it just doesn't sound good. Strangely, some songs sound alright with my subs while other songs have this very "punchy" sound.

- The speakers can not handle high-pitched sounds correctly. They seem to pinch my ears as if I'm listening to nails scratch against a chalkboard.

My old naka system seemed to sound perfect to me. It balanced everything properly and even the bass sounded clear and just right. Why I changed it was because I wanted more power from the bass, but, ended up with this imbalanced system.

My CURRENT plan is to change any of the parts to produce a better sound. My budget thsi time around is going to be $500 tops. What do you guys recommend that I do? Is it even necessary to buy new parts, or is the problem internal and can be fixed just by tampering some more with the settings?
Old 04-25-07, 09:05 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The diamonds arent your problem I can promise you--

The subs are not crossed over right-- and you have some rattling to fix-- First try removing your stock sub-- that will let the air thru--

Next- something is very wrong if you fade it to the front with zero output--
Check and see how many rca's are ran to your amp/s -- Is it just one to the mids and hi's amp? Well-- if so, you need to be sure that cable is connected to the "front" input on the amp-- This is generally the input that will distribute to both if there's only one cable present, though you may need to set the input mode to work properly with however many inputs you have to the amp-

You need to set the subwoofer crossover to about 80hz or a little lower -- it should be set to LPF -- not HPF or PASS or FULL or whatever--

Those subs will never sound that great anyway-- Try a better single 12" and you'll be amazed at how clean a 12 can be-- TC makes good subs, ED makes good subs, older Kappa Perfect's are ridiculously clean and loud for about $100 -- they can all handle some power too-- that combined with removing your stock sub will make a world of difference along with setting your sub's crossover right--

The mids and highs should be fine-- but if you don't want them send them to me before they get trashed--

I wonder if you ran new speaker wires to the fronts-- if not, how did you connect the amp to them?

Pioneer head units are okay-- BUT-- I have an eclipse 8443 I'd be willing to sell for $150 that will change your life forever-- It's a competition level head unit with so many features you won't know what to do first-- built in crossovers, dsp, 8v preamp, etc--

Eclipse, Alpine-- those are pretty much your two choices--

Have a nice day--