CDT Audio = www.cdtaudio.com
DLS = http://www.dls.se/en/car/index.html

Both European Companies...

Mike
Old 05-03-07 | 09:12 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Robert_J
From what I've heard, even the component set from the Cadence Audio outlet site is a steal compared to the sound you get from it.
I just installed the highest-grade Cadence CVL-6K 6.5" components with the silk tweeters in the front.

I honestly can't see how components could get any better than this. Even on the stock EQ settings.

The tweets are much much smoother than the stock piezo setup w/ more midbass.

Listening to music with guitar solos are so much more pleasing.
Old 05-03-07 | 09:40 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm boutta get those mids-- How do you have them installed? Baffles?

Tell me about your setup-- how much power on them? what frequency are you crossing them over at?

How much did you snag them for??

Matt--
Old 05-03-07 | 09:42 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Even the aluminum coned mids can belt out some serious output while remaining very well composed with no hint of breakup-- The xovers are great too--
Old 05-03-07 | 10:00 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
I'm boutta get those mids-- How do you have them installed? Baffles?

Tell me about your setup-- how much power on them? what frequency are you crossing them over at?

How much did you snag them for??

Matt--
The best way as experienced from the GS guys who upgrade to bigger front speakers is to fabricate a MDF template and bolt it in using metal screws to the factory location.

A baffle will inhibit bass response from the larger speakers b/c they were designed to used the entire door. You will see threads on the GS's where guys installed baffles, only to remove them later.

I used 1/2" MDF for spacing concerns. Our door panels fit very very tight, and there is little room for modifying. If I redid it, I would use 1/4" MDF, then place ED deadening on top.

Using Cadence stock crossover and frequency at about 75w per channel.

I dont know how much power for sure b/c I have this crazy Xtant amp that is under rated. Supposed to be 75W max to each channel, but I have the gain set to 20%.

And it is loud!!!
Old 05-05-07 | 01:56 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Thanks. I just went to bestbuy yesterday, not to look for a bargain, but, to sample some mids, just to get an idea of what sound I want for my car and tried out the Alpine Type-R 6 1/2"s as well as the Infinity Kappa 5 1/4"s. Then listened to some of the smaller ones (4") and I noticed that as you go up in size, the midbass starts to sound incredible, but, the vocals do seem to overshadowed by it. As I went down the sizes, the midbass started to make pop-like sounds that just weren't pleasant for the ears, while the vocals started to become more clear. Is this the unfortunate truth for all mids, or did I just sample some of the worst?
The only unfortunate truth is the speakers you listened to did not have a crossover or a high pass filter from the amp to cut out frequencies that can damage mid and highs at higher volumes. The frequencies that you are cutting from your mids should be sent to your sub. Your sub is designed to reproduce the low end frequencies that could distort your mids therefore causing them to blow. The woofers in my 6.5s could handle full range sound at very high volumes and not distort. I was very impressed, but it also made my ears ring for a few weeks. That is why I went back to 4" speakers.

Yes, generally speaking the larger the speaker the more mid bass/mid voice. The material of the cone will also determine how much mid bass is produced as well. Just remember... speakers you listen to on a sound board will not sound the same as they will in your doors. I guarantee you.

F.Y.I...Infinity Kappas are 2 OHM speakers. I would only buy these if you understand the implications of running a 2 Ohm load.
Old 05-05-07 | 02:05 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

When I say baffle, I mean a simple plate that the woofer mounts to-- totally open back-- just a single mdf panel--

You should check out cement panel sold at home depot-- it's made for counter tops underlayment-- 1/4" thick-- very very dense-- I'm using it for mounting panels-- no need for deadening with that stuff-- It's as heavy as ceramic tile-- very acoustically dead--

MDF too is very acoustically dead-- but not as good as that cement panel--

It was about $9 for a 4x4 sheet-- very good stuff for door mounting woofers or for the rear deck --

I give it my personal stamp of approval.
Old 05-05-07 | 02:30 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

When I say baffle, I mean a simple plate that the woofer mounts to-- totally open back-- just a single mdf panel--
Whenever I hear baffle, I think about the foam baffle speaker material. Good for the right applications. Not right for our application.

Also there is a clear plastic OEM baffle in the door that should be removed or it will act just like a foam baffle and inhibit response.

You should check out cement panel sold at home depot-- it's made for counter tops underlayment-- 1/4" thick-- very very dense-- I'm using it for mounting panels-- no need for deadening with that stuff-- It's as heavy as ceramic tile-- very acoustically dead--
It sounds heavier than MDF. Not sure I want to add more weight to our already ridiculously heavy doors. Nonetheless, I will check the material out next time I am in Home Depot.
Old 05-05-07 | 05:11 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Heavy is relative-- When you construct a mounting plate of mdf it MIGHT weigh .5 lbs-- the same of cement panel would weigh .8 lbs ~ not significant at all--

When I say "baffle" I think infinite baffle--

like-- infinite baffle--
Old 05-08-07 | 08:12 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

First off, don't ever buy speakers off the internet based on what someone says.

Every person is different, and has different requirements of whats sounds "good" to them. Something that may sound **** to me, may sound like garbage to you.

I would spend some time going around to different shops and get a feeling for what you like. Some people like the metal dome tweeter sound, I personally can't stand it. The exception here being the Diamond D7's. They sound pretty darn good.

For some one to say that Diamond is not a "high end" speaker, but then this same person uses equipment built by maxsonics, is laughable. Diamond certainly isn't the best out there, but they are an ok speaker. Using the 4" coaxials isn't going to make you happy. You need to upgrade to something like a 6 or 7" component set up, or even a 3 way 8/4/tweeter setup.

Go forth and listen. You want to hear brands like focal, seas, morel, rainbow, or the other two already recommended in this thread. I've heard very good things about CDT.
Old 05-08-07 | 11:56 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I totally agree-- BUT-- The one's that make it through the lanes far enough to win sq comp. are MOST LIKELY going to please MOST listeners--

Also-- You're exactly right, DIAMOND is a very good line, though the coax's aren't worth much at all in all likelihood--

There's another thread that links to several sets-- Peerless, Focal, and Vifa for one-- and those sets are sub $200 -- zalytron.com -- very cool site--

I bought cadence's on the internet, having never heard them and decided based on SEVERAL reviews-- They surprised me to say the least--