Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

98 GS w/ Nakamichi: Front speaker advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 03:18 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 98 GS w/ Nakamichi: Front speaker advice sought

So my front driver speaker is blown and driving me nuts. Not to mention it annoys me when my earphones (Shure e2C) sounds better than my car audio.

Anywho, my question is this:
I need front speakers, but can I install 2 or 3 way speakers to replace the factory one or do I have to do components? The only reason I am considering 3ways is because of funds. I never intended my GS to be an audio champ, just a nice daily driver. BUT, what good is a daily driver w/ crap speakers (sorry Nakamichi...but your home products from the 90s are A LOT better). I was looking at getting something like an used 6.5" 3 way midrange for like 40bucks using that spacer that was posted on here (if that is even possible). Also, I'll do this DIY so please advice me as to what to watch out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-07, 06:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just buy a decent set of 4" midranges that are the same size as what you have in the door. Do not put 3-ways in there, you will not like the results.
Good mid-level brands to try are Boston, Polk, CDT, Infinity, Alpine.
Old 05-03-07, 07:56 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at partsexpress.com or speakerworld-- the stockers are like 13cm metric mids, so just replace the one that's bad with a mid and keep rolling, though I'd replace both at the same time--

You already have factory separates that will sound better than some cheap coaxials will ever hope to sound--

I've actually got about 60w rms per channel on the stock pioneer fronts in an old 92 SC400 with 160k on the clock and these speakers are clear clean and accurate for a daily driver-- they have yet to blow after a few months of cranking it-- I'm really impressed with the sq and something like a vifa or tang band mid in the 4ohm selection should work just fine if not better than stock.
Old 05-03-07, 08:00 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

These are all you need -- $22 each--

Old 05-03-07, 12:45 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

ANother possibly even better option--

zalytron.com -- they sell Focal drivers-- JM Lab 5.25 PL -- under the JM Lab link -- $20 each-- built by Focal-- paper 5.25" woofer-- should work beautifully--

Old 05-03-07, 12:49 PM
kit cat

thanks guys!
22bucks each for a brand new woofer, not bad at all . Now I just need to find a baffle board to fit that on my car since GSs have a 4" in the front..
Old 05-03-07, 01:19 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some modification to the factory enclosure and man am I glad I did it...

I was able to install a set of 5.25 CDT Euro drivers in there BUT not without doing some dremel work..but the results are AWESOME...

- Remove door panel
- Remove/Unplug speaker enclosure (mini ported enclosure at that)
- Take apart the enclosure and grind off/flatten the tabs that hold the drivers in place.
- make the mounting hole just a tad bigger (about .25" bigger)
- Inside the enclosure, the port is just a piece of plastic that is held on by screws..Remove them..now you have a mesh hole where the port vents out.
- Seal this hole with dynamat, double sided tape or in my case I used molding clay (non dry , looks like playdo..lol)
- Put the enclosure back together. I went the extra step of adding polyfill inside the mini box to dampen the back waves of the speaker.
- Put everything back together...

The process I did was to upgrade to a component set with new tweeters and crossovers and an amplifier to power the set....SOUND fantastic!!!

As soon as I find some time, I will do a write-up with photos so we can probably sticky it for others to reference..

Or you can go and buy PERCY's book as it is dedicated to 2ND GEN GS's

BTW - The front 4" speakers are 2 Ohms and the SUB as well...Just FYI

Mike

Last edited by FLIPPU; 05-03-07 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 01:24 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ohhhhh-- GS -- well, you may as well get the Focal 6.5 -- just make sure it's non-shielded and 4 ohms whatever you get--

A 6.5 by Focal will sound amazing-- a paper cone woofer will be sensitive, which means more output than a 5 or 4" woofer--

Looks like the Focal/Jim Lab 6.5 CP is the right ohm and the same price on the JM Lab link from the zalytron.com site--

They should work very well--

I would definitely go 6.5 if you're doing baffles--

The Dayton Reference mid is another good option-- 7" mid that would work great--

Old 05-03-07, 01:27 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

For simplicity the 5" is still the best bet as you could get it to fit the enclosure with a dremel--
Old 05-03-07, 08:47 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Whew!

I travelled to the end of the internet and found you something!!!

I found a 5" peerless mid that will rock and work perfectly in the stock location enclosure--- Designed for a tiny ported enclosure @ .25 ft^3 with a 1.5" port 4" long-- this would be very easy to modify the factory enclosure to exact spec!! What a find-- Peerless is great stuff with a very good reputation for sq without high preices--

If I were you I would try this out -- it's cheap and could give some very good output with good sq--

$10.25 each-- on sale at madisound.com --
Old 05-04-07, 11:45 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Wow dude..you really are a LEXUS owner..

..Relentless pursuit of perfection....

Awesome detective work..

Mike
Old 05-05-07, 10:36 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The Focal comp. set listed in the "All this talk about subs and amps..... " thread may be even a better bet-- $130 for a really nice set of 5" comps-- Backstock price cut--

Check them out--

the mid works in a 23 liter ported enclosure-- very rare that mids for cars are made for ported or sealed-- but the Focals are-- very cool

And the pursuit of perfection-- naaaahhh, I'm just nuts-- that's all

Old 05-05-07, 07:16 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i understand you guys saying all these speakers above will just fit in the front pod for the GS but will they work perfectly with the front tweeters and crossovers?
Old 05-05-07, 07:25 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't looked at the way the xover is set up-- I doubt the mid is crossed over though --

I bet the mid plays full range--

They will work however--
Old 05-05-07, 09:29 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
I haven't looked at the way the xover is set up-- I doubt the mid is crossed over though --

I bet the mid plays full range--

They will work however--
thats my bet too. I have a blown speaker, anything will sound better at this point .

and MJHSC400, thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply: 98 GS w/ Nakamichi: Front speaker advice sought