Sponsored by:

Anyone in the LA area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 09:26 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the LA area?

i decided i need to listen to a few audio set ups before i choose my subwoofer installation. anyone near los angeles with a subwoofer set up..free-air or sealed..it would be great if i could meet you up and listen to it real quick.

my email is: fiercedesignz@aol.com if you want to email me.

thanks,
allen
Old 12-04-01, 10:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

fierce gs - Can't help with the LA question but I was curious about your other thread. Did retrodrive ever get back to you with a link on where to get the Vel subs? I tried Peter Lufrano at Autophile and got dead ended. He said they just weren't available anymore. I know there are several guys here who would be in for them but they just don't seem to be around.
Old 12-04-01, 01:10 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

nope, never got a response. im assuming if you call them (their number posted at www.velodyne.com) theyll give u some info on how to get em. i decided 1 grand was just too much for 1 sub, so i never followed up on getting them brand new. maybe if we do a group buy of some sort itll come out cheaper? i doubt it tho, cuz they are so rare. hope all goes well in gettin the velodynes.
Old 12-04-01, 06:43 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

fierce gs - Just curious, have you settled on a sub yet? Had a discussion with MG a while back on this and it seems like the JL has satisfied everyone who has tried it. He really suggests trying a small enclosure with a non free air sub but I still like the lack of hassle with the free air upgrade. Looking at Dyn and ADS who both have units that can be used free air as well. Just wondering if you have decided on any particular sub yet.
Old 12-04-01, 08:03 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

still not definate about the sub..but i have the jl in mind right now. im probably going to make a small sealed box for it, and fire it straight thro the stock sub hole. either the 10 or 12'' w3. its about twice as powerful as the freeair and should sound better. i dont know tho..i might totally change my mind. this is all based on what ive heard people say. going to do this right the first time around, so im not going to do anything im not 100% sure about. ill decide after i hear some free airs, and the sealed jl..ill let you know what i come up with.
Old 12-04-01, 11:43 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now what is up with this forum! I already noticed some of my topics deleted for no reason! I have dug up those Velodyne links again so here:

DF-12SC

DF-10SC

I guess its one of the last places you can get this sub at.
Old 12-05-01, 08:36 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

$999 for the 12 inch and $889 for the 10'' -=z. ron, wanna get in touch with them and see if theyll do better on the price if both of us and some other people get one. how many people do you know that want one? after looking at my other options, im not as set on the velodynes nymore. seems like we could do pretty good with the sealed jl, and dont think its that much worth it for the price difference to go with the velodynes (about 600 bucks) -=z. unless i was going for the ultimate system..but i need to face reality and go with my budget :eek: . we'll see what happens tho.
Old 12-05-01, 11:49 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Oh boy, how about this for being dimwitted. I got pretty excited reading retrodrives posting so I clicked over and ordered the 10. In retrospect, we should have worked a group up. Can't thank retrodrive enough and you are correct, I have no idea where you posted that before. I don't want to be negative but I don't mind being the test case. These subs are so hard to find, especially after Peter Lufrano pretty much said it is a done deal, you won't find them, let's see if it comes through. I don't think I qualify with a lot of people here as far as intention with my system but after Master Percy posted about the Vels and I read about them, I got very intrigued technically, regardless of what they sound like. I normally do not do that but everyone is allowed to go nuts once in a while. I know 899 for the 10 is steep but if they can deliver it, it settles what I will do to the bass in my GS, even if it sits on the shelf until the great garage epic finishes. It was curious on the web site that they will install it for $20. Great price but a GS install is a bit complicated and I am not sure I would be happy with a $20 install. In this I agree with Percy again and will do it myself. Well, they've got my credit card so let's see when and if they deliver. Stay tuned....
Old 12-05-01, 01:17 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

god dang it...if only i saw this earlier..oh well..i have my new sub...too late now...=(
Old 12-05-01, 04:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hehe, glad to be of service. Anyway, Vels do perform for its cost. I've heard them onse sealed and I can say that they produse the most dry crisp bass you could ever get.
One of the guys at mobiletoys told me he had them in stock. Thats when I posted the topic that got deleted for some reason. Hope they still have them though.
All the questions are to Percy now, he knows all the applications of this sub
Old 12-10-01, 11:41 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Forget Mobile Toys

Asked for status on my order and got the e mail today informing me that they could not fill the order. Mobile Toys may be listing the Vels on their site but, no surprise here, they don't have them. Seems like the real info is that Vel quit making these some time ago so outside of the odd used one here or there, forget finding them.
Old 12-10-01, 02:59 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

there's a used on here on just a few threads down if you're interested
Old 12-10-01, 03:45 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks but I saw it. I was trying to get a 10 to minimize the install. Don't know where the 1200 came from. Mobile toys may not have had them but they had the new price as the 10 for 899 and the 12 for 999. I think I give up. Look at the usual suspects and see what fierce gs does, sounds like we may have similar goals.
Old 12-10-01, 03:52 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

yup..i gave up on the Vels too and got another sub..it uses a really small enclosure even with a 12 inch....I'll take a picture tonite and you'll see how it fits....you know that little part in the back of the trunk ...i manage to squeez my 12 inch box and my mcintosh amplifer in there and it does not protrude from that ledge...i just have to find a way to keep the box from moving around while I drive..

I wanted to mount it on the bottom of the rear deck but it wouldn't fit...only a 10 inch is possible...
Old 12-10-01, 05:51 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

amlin423 - I would appreciate a look at the pictures. Did you do your install yourself or have someone do it? Still gathering pieces but looking at Dexter's install has me thinking that maybe a good installer would be worth it. Too many days in unheated garages for too many years working on cars to have it thrill me. And NoCal isn't anything like Chicago where I grew up and got into this whole thing but it's bad enough.