Sponsored by:

SC400 - MDF template - Mounting 6 1/2 Fronts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 08:29 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 - MDF template - Mounting 6 1/2 Fronts

Hi, as some of you know about my situation already, I'm trying to improve the quality of my front speakers. I was so siked for the past 2 weeks, because of hearing all your success stories w/ installing 6.5" front comps. But, then I passed this idea to my audio "expert" buddy of mine, and he said it was just not plausible. It sounded more like he didn't want to go through the trouble of getting it to fit. He assured me there are a huge line of great sounding 4" comps out there. I'm sure there are, but, I figure if I'm going to replace my current speakers, why not go UP in size rather than stay the same? So, now I'm back at square one again. I'd like to try to construct something that would enable me to fit in 6.5"s but, quite honestly I haven't a clue of how to do this kind of stuff. I hear some of you talking about using some MDF template? Is there a complete newbie guide on just how to accomplish this with pictures and all?

Should I just look for a nice pair of 4" comps to replace my crappy 4" coaxials? I know the midbass is much more noticeable on the 6 1/2"s, which is a huge part of why I want to upgrade.
Old 05-12-07, 01:05 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SC400 front's are 5" -- 13cm euro actually-- Much different than a 4" in output--

There are ZERO 4" comp. sets that will provide even close to what you want in a full range speaker-- I can't even do a 5.25 without being able to install it in a tuned enclosure like the factory setup --

There is a sticky btw that will tell you exactly how to do this WITH noob pictures--

BTW-- I have the front stock spekers amped on 70x2 rms and the factory mids really wail and put out strong sound right down to about 80~90 hz easily-- very very good sound quality and output for factory speakers, they just need a good xover and an eq to smooth the mid out-- as they're kinda peaky in the upper mid region-- There is some serious output capability with the factory speakers and obviously they can handle some power, as mine's a 92 with 160k and they sound phenomenal now that I've amped them and can play mp3's with the stock head unit via aux input--

You just wouldn't believe how good mine sounds with the factory fronts on an amp with a single 12 in the trunk with a removed factory sub for airflow- These cars rock-- no rattle at all either-- you just simply can't beat that-- everything about Lexus is just awesome--
Old 05-12-07, 01:09 AM
vsynergy
Driver

I would upgrade to 6 1/2's, that way you won't regret it later. On my LS, I went from 4'' stock to 6 1/2''. Install was simple and straightfoward.

I made MDF baffles from 3/4'' MDF using the template of the factory speaker box. Lay out the box and trace the outline, including the mounting points where your screws will go through.

For the speaker hole, find its mounting diameter and draw it where it'll line up against the door panel best.

If your speaker has a large mounting depth, your window might the speaker as it rolls down. I'm not too sure on SC's, but on the LS a 2 5/8'' mounting depth would hit the window. Soo, I made an MDF ring that was placed on top of the template to give it some space. The ring was held on by flush mounted screws and woodglue.

You can use a jigsaw to cut everything out and you'll need a drill to drill out holes to screw on your speaker. You'll want woodglue if you're going to make an MDF ring.
Old 05-12-07, 02:37 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your buddy should rethink what he was saying. i have some HEFTY 6.5" speakers in my doors and it took extremly minimal adaptation.

take your stock enclosure, and make a template on mdf...drill holes accordingly, mount and vioala!

rinse, lather, repeat....

....sorry it was $2 Sunshine beer night
Old 05-12-07, 10:48 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmmm-- I think there's a sticky in this forum that covers this exact topic -- Called- speaker installation how to , right at the top of the a/v forum page when it loads--

It's very well detailed and should be the first thing you read when doing this--
Old 05-12-07, 12:29 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Hmmmmm-- I think there's a sticky in this forum that covers this exact topic -- Called- speaker installation how to , right at the top of the a/v forum page when it loads--

It's very well detailed and should be the first thing you read when doing this--
I looked under the SC400 how to, and I think it only shows pictures of how to remove panels and what not, but it doesn't show the how-to process of the MDF mounting. I just need an After shot to give me an idea of what it's supposed to look like.
Old 05-12-07, 04:07 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

you can kinda make out the shape of the MDF template under all of the dynamat.
Old 05-12-07, 08:23 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well, you obviously can't buy mdf plates pre-cut to fit the exact shape, so that would mean you'd have to cut them out--

Band saw-- Jig saw-- maybe make a template from cardboard first and trim it until it fits perfectly--

I also wouldn't use the factory enclosures unless the mid you get works with the exact volume or very close--

You can actually get more output with a 5" mid in a tuned ported enclosure than you can with a 6.5" freeair mid-- and it will play lower than the 6.5 while also playing higher too--

There are a few mids listed that can work well in the factory enclosure in the thread called "need help with gs400 front speakers" or something like that --

I really don't understand why everyone thinks the stock speakers are 4", they're not, they're 13cm / 5.12" mids--

This is a 4" mid-- notice it's MUCH smaller than the SC factory mid--
Old 05-12-07, 09:31 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
You can actually get more output with a 5" mid in a tuned ported enclosure than you can with a 6.5" freeair mid-- and it will play lower than the 6.5 while also playing higher too--
that will depend on the speaker.

i can tell you that is a false statement with Focal
Old 05-12-07, 09:51 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

In most cases-- it's not false--

It's well known that freeair alignments lack in output where tuned enclosures shine-- low extension spl-- right where mids need to work their best--

Focals are great, but their still a speaker just like all the rest-- and when you tune an enclosure, you control xmax to near zero excursion around the tuning frequency-- which eliminates the problem of bottoming out a mid-- cone control--

A tuned enclsosure with a 5" will be as efficient as a 6.5 freeair, but will trump it in most cases in low extension--
Old 05-12-07, 09:54 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

If you're saying the fronts are actually 5"s then that means I can start looking for 5"s without worry about fitment. Awesome! And I don't know where they got that number from either. Btw, as a side note, I just removed the free-air stock sub and as you mentioned, there is a lot less rattle! But, not completely gone, especially when I get in a bass-heavy mood, the rattling appears to be coming from the rear metal deck. I can't say that for certain, but, I will check out where it's coming from.
Old 05-12-07, 10:31 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

When I removed the stock sub I reglued the ring with foam trim on top back onto the base that the sub rests on that also holds the clips of the grille-- That should help a little bit of the rattle right there--

The mids are 5" mids, BUT, just sticking some more in the factory enclosure without actually getting the volume right won't befefit you that much--

Selecting a driver that works properly with the volume and even adding a properly tuned port will be the key here-- You can even measure the enclosure's volume with rice or sand and model different drivers in WinIsd to get it very close to optimal--

This thread will shed a little light on some mids that will work-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279698

BUT-- you might just try adding an amp to the factory speakers, I've done it and the mids are awesome-- though the tweets could be upgraded-- I just can't say enough times how well the stock mids perform in their properly tuned enclosures--

Just because a Focal speaker for example looks fancy, a much cheaper driver in a properly tuned enclosure will most times greatly outperform even the most expensive of drivers just tossed into a door that is "somewhere close to the right volume" or is a "pretty good infinite baffle" --

Remember, NONE of pro-sound or home theater EVER use infinite baffle as a general rule-- the output and tuning just isnt there--

It's a rare thing to have tuned enclosures in the doors of a car and I think it's something to take advantage of--

I get way more than enough clean output from the stock front's with 70w rms each -- It's just wierd not to upgrade for me-- but I'm happy with them to be honest-- I wouldn't mind adding some xovers and some high end tweets as well as an eq into the mix to really tune it, but the base for solid midrange is there for a daily driver/listener system--

Call me crazy-- then come listen to my system -- You'll be asking me to turn it down pretty quick-- "Owww maannnn-- That's freakin loud already-- geeezz" --
Old 05-12-07, 10:36 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Well, I think I'm sold on purchasing 6 1/2"s. Right now, these are my two concerns:

1) Is my current setup sufficient in terms of Amplifier power?

Amp:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...old+R5.0-4.html

Coaxial Mids (rear):
http://www1.uk.shopping.com/xPF-Kicker-DX60

Plus, another pair of Components 6 1/2"s that will go in the Front. I have no idea which ones I want yet, I'm trying to find a decent audio shop to sample them. But, lets assume they're at 100RMS, this kind of output is usually found in the mid to high-end components, am I right? Would my amp be able to support all this?

and

2) Where to find the best prices on the comps, while not likely to get scammed?

Thanks, you guys. You've been real patience with my lack of knowledge in car audio.
Old 05-12-07, 10:46 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

So you don't believe the 6 1/2"s are ideal for the design of our SC's front enclosures? Therefore certain 5"s are more appropriate than others due to how it takes up the volume of the enclosure? Am I understanding this right? You've been pretty adamant about suggesting 6 1/2"s in previous threads .
Old 05-12-07, 11:52 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ahhhh-- maybe I got too technical-- if you install 6.5's you'll like them-- just don't use the factory enclosure-- they're designed for freeair use 9 out of 10 cases--

My argument is that a 5" mid that is loaded in a tuned ported enclosure it's designed to work in will most likely AT LEAST match the output of most 6.5's -- but in most cases it should outdo them unless you spend some real money on really high end components-- AND give them lots of power-- a tuned mid enclosure will have better lowend rolloff than most freeair mids will --

The link to the amp didn't work btw--

I would DEFINITELY not replace the rears with anything low end like some kicker coax's -- the stock rears are fine for rear fill-- Rear fill is really not even needed since you're playing 2 ch sound-- stereo is only left and right-- the best front stage is just that-- in the FRONT --

This thread covers a few good comp sets-- There's a good focal set as well as a Vifa and a peerless set listed in there from Zalytron.com -- they've got some great stuff from backstock from focal and some other good stuff as well--

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=276028&page=3

Quick Reply: SC400 - MDF template - Mounting 6 1/2 Fronts