Sponsored by:

gen1 speaker sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-01, 11:24 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PERCY- gen1 speaker sizes

I am looking for the speaker sizes for the gen 1 non nak system. My guess is 4" in the doors and a 10" sub. I want to add a few sets of mb quartz. Thanks for any help! I am also going to add a two channel amp for a sub, if I am correct I can tap into the line-level inputs prior to the trunk mounted amp.

Last edited by gen1gs; 12-08-01 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 10:57 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not sure about your 93.....but in my 95 there is a 12" hole once you remove the 10" factory woofer.....so i have a 12" Kicker in there.....food for thought!
Old 12-08-01, 04:22 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: gen1 speaker sizes

I'd listen to a few other sets other than the MBQ's. I've had LOTS of MBQ sets before and they're overhyped, overbright and lack lots of midbass. Nothing wrong with the installation either. 22k$ worth of electronics, etc. I'd recommend listening to ads speakers, Diamond HEX, Focal and my all time favorite, Dynaudio.

Currently writing a manual on audio and just happen to have the MBQ Q series distortion charts, straight from Germany from one of their techs. Around 7 to 10% (that's ALOT) of distortion in certain areas.

Listen around before jumping to the MBQ's.

Percy
Krell, McIntosh, Dynaudio, Velodyne, Monster M Series, Sony ES, Optima, Deflex

Sound Quality Supercarrier Lexus GS

Originally posted by gen1gs
I am looking for the speaker sizes for the gen 1 non nak system. My guess is 4" in the doors and a 10" sub. I want to add a few sets of mb quartz. Thanks for any help! I am also going to add a two channel amp for a sub, if I am correct I can tap into the line-level inputs prior to the trunk mounted amp.
Old 12-08-01, 04:55 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Percy!

I had two sets of seperates in my 95 Blazer, I will be selling the blazer and don't want the speakers to go to waste. I would love to buy new stuff, but I can not see getting rid of what I already have! I am going to buy an amp, PPI, rockford, or alpine, running through the speaker level inputs powering a few solo-barics. I think that I can fit a small sealed box behind the trunk backing, right above the tank and below the factory sub. I might only run one, yet to decide.

I have looked at the DIY door speaker install on the GS300/400/430, is there anything I should be aware of with my gen1?

Percy, I have heard that you are the Guru when it comes to Lexus audio, can you check out this post?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=26956

Thanks!
Old 12-08-01, 08:57 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Sorry, not familiar with the Gen1 GS series. I have heard of people loading up the fronts with 8 inch woofers though. Seems there was enough clearance in the Gen1 cars. This was from a car audio mag, but I forgot which one!

As for the radio reception, which part was replaced? Just the antenna?

Percy
Old 12-12-01, 05:05 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Yes it was just the antenna mast. It still moves up and down during power-up and down, and also during radio frequency changes.
Old 12-13-01, 07:12 AM
Percy
Senior Moderator

gen1gs,

Ok, that's telling me that the antenna is actually getting power and that a communications/data link has been established. Otherwise the antenna wouldn't power up and change height with frequency. BUT, that doesn't tell me if there's a solid connection for the actual antenna itself. It may get all the voltage and data but is the antenna itself hooked up? It could be as simple as a broken wire within the harness.

Any pictures of the connection?

Percy
Old 12-13-01, 12:00 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pictures. Let me know if you need them of something different. I do have an Alpine RF mod. CD-changer in the system. I do get reception at times, just not consistant. Weird, but the reception is better in the evening!

Old 12-13-01, 06:15 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Any way to bypass the Alpine RF modulator? That would narrow it down...

Percy
Old 12-13-01, 06:34 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

I am going to try that, as soon as I find where the installer put it! The wired display is positioned right above the ignition, I would imagine that it would be under the panel below the steering wheel. I will look tonight. Will let you know. Is this the place that an installer would put a FM mod.? Thanks!
Old 12-13-01, 07:59 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

It's possible. I've seen installers put things in wierd places...!

Percy