Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Tip: For all Newbies like me! Tweeters are your friend!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 03:02 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip: For all Newbies like me! Tweeters are your friend!

Ok, if you any of you are newbs when it comes to car audio and are planning on "hooking up" their systems, heed this simple advice:

If you are thinking about upgrading your front speakers, whether you want to put in 5 1/4" or 6 1/2"s, listen up! Make sure they are COMPONENTS. Do not, DO NOT get coaxials. I made the huge mistake of buying coaxials two years ago hoping to skimp by without spending too much. The result: You can not hear the HIGHS! This may be obvious to most people, but, not to me at the time. And here I am two years down the line confused as to why my SQ sounded like crap, and I determined it was the lack of TWEETERS. Do not get Coaxials by any means for your Front, only your Rear.

With the tweeters in, the system sounds ten-folds better. I can not tell you what a difference those little things make.

It was a huge mistake on my part, and I hope you guys learn something from it.
Old 05-20-07, 03:26 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, don't do coax when you've got factory components

it really does make a difference
Old 05-20-07, 05:45 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

It's good to finally hear from ya. I've been msging you all the time on aim =\. As good as I think my system sounds right now, I can only imagine how yours sound with all the high-end stuff. I still want to drop in my brand new Alpine Type-X 5 1/4"s. So if you still would like to help me please IM me when you have the chance. Thanks, bud.
Old 05-20-07, 11:34 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stockers will smoke a good bit of the components offered at the $150 price point--

Just add clean power-- and pull some of the mid out on the eq-- trust me--

The stockers are in tuned port enclosures-- only 5.10" mids but they will absolutely rock with some power and a good xover--

I've tortured mine daily with 70w x 2 with no problems--
Old 05-21-07, 12:37 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Yeah, I know what you mean! Here's another tip I learned from Hard Knock U- listen up, newbies:

If you are driving around and thinking about making your stereo louder, listen up! Make sure you turn the volume control CLOCKWISE. Do not, DO NOT turn it the other way. I made the huge mistake of turning it counter-clockwise. The result: The volume went DOWN and you could not hear the MUSIC! This may be obvious to most people, but, not to me at the time. And two years down the line I determined it was the lack of ROTATION.

Now, when I turn it clockwise, the system sounds ten-folds louder. You are right - I can not tell you what a difference those little things make.

I hope you guys learn something from it.

And I look forward to other similar posts to enlighten us all- like, for example, the merits of putting diesel fuel in our cars. Maybe someone has tried that already and can advise us newbs whether that's a good idea or not. If so, get posting!
Old 05-21-07, 08:19 AM
pimpin gs
Rookie

LOL great post!
Old 05-21-07, 10:45 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Or maybe: Should I inflate my tires before taking a drive??
Old 05-21-07, 10:51 AM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Perry,

Adding diesel fuel to your car will help YOU. Ignore what others say, forget all the supposed potential "problems" associated with it. The facts are wrong, believe me. I know better. After all, I am only one of the few who figured out that tweeters secret.

Thank you for your contribution, Perry. We expect future posts from you. We need more people that take others seriously.

Last edited by PxH_83; 05-21-07 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-21-07, 11:37 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Thanks, Captain Obvious, but I'll sit tight for, oh, say two years and then see what the consensus is.

That seems to be about the amount of time it takes for the slowest of us to figure things out, ya know?

In fact, who knows? Maybe in 2 years you'll make a new thread titled:
"Attn Newbs: When you make a post of questionable intelligence, and someone calls you on it, don't engage him further, or you'll just look dumber".
Old 05-21-07, 11:44 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

rotfl-- you guys are fukn nutz--
Old 05-21-07, 01:37 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

No, thank you, mr. online-forums badass.

Looks like we found our token internet "intellectual" who has some sort of superiority complex. Oooo, lets all watch what we say now. We may just rub some guy the wrong way because our life expertise doesn't involve car audio.

And just to clarify, since you appear to analyze everything I say, it did not take me the entire two years to figure this out. It was more like a sudden knock on the head, that I realized hey, my sound system isn't all that great. That's when I started hunting for the problem and it happened to be at the two year mark.

But, please, Perry, just for your sake, whatever you do, don't interact with people outside the internet. You just might make friends.
Old 05-21-07, 01:50 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

I don't think I am superior, but let's just say I have better judgement in what should and shouldn't be posted. Which is why I won't go into any more detail about your judgement.

After all, if this pissing contest escalates, the moderators may lock, or worse yet, just delete this entire thread, and that would be shame. So I'm gonna let you have the last word, so this thread (and your advice to newbies) lives forever.
Old 05-21-07, 02:42 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I feel like Slugworth in the original Chocolate Factory with the mic in his hand going from PxH to Perry back to Pxh and now Perry and now.......

Sorry, dont mean to instigate. Very entertaining though!
Old 05-21-07, 03:05 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

i have seen intelligent and good people make dumb mistakes like this-- Sometimes it's the jackass at circuit city selling the coax's to the noob that's really the one to blame--

But-- yeah-- that really is a tweeter in the A-pillar--