Sponsored by:

SC Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 10:31 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC Audio Question

I had a 93 SC4 with the Nakamichi system, and I had to replace the rear speakers in that car. Both rear corners and the sub were bad. I added an amp for more bass when I replaced the speakers. The corners were 4" and the sub was 10".

Did those sizes stay the same for the Nak system for all the 92-00 cars? I now have a 99 SC4 and I need to do the same thing to it.
Old 05-21-07, 02:37 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have a newer SC, but I've seen almost all of the SC audio threads and there has never been a mention of larger speakers on later Nak SCs.

Keep in mind it is not too hard to squeeze in 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speakers in the 4" positions on the SC rear deck. I put in 6 1/2"s without any sawing - just had to drill new mounting holes (more details in my prev. posts if you care to search).
Old 05-21-07, 03:08 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock SC speakers are 13mm -- or 5.1X" -- euro size--

Save yourself the trouble, don't install rear speakers, instead, spend that money on an amp to power the fronts --

You'll be glad you did--

rear speakers are pointless in a car without backseats-- or at least functional backseats--

The only people I've been able to fit in the back are asian girls-- they're kinda short and they don't like it loud anyway--

Plus it messes up the imaging--

The money is better spent upgrading the amp for the fronts--
Old 05-21-07, 03:17 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

That's just plain wrong. The stock Nak SC speakers are 4" on all 4 corners- I've seen them on mine a dozen times. The rears are mounted on a plastic bracket that have mounting holes in a ~6.75" circle, hence my comment that larger speakers are easily mounted in their place.

Notice strongsail's signature, where he says he is keeping the car stock.
The stock Nak sounds great, and will continue to do so even with rear corner speakers.
Old 05-22-07, 01:12 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Originally Posted by PM from MJHSC400
Please-- point me in the direction of a picture of the nak system speakers--

4" mids are tiny-- My pioneer system uses a 5" ~ mid and it seems strange that the Nak would use a smaller mid than that--

This is a 4" mid just for reference--

Gee, thanks for the 4 foot photo of a 4" speaker, but I've seen 4" speakers many times already
(like whenever my rear deck or door panels are off, exposing the Nak speakers).

You can try the search button if you are so hell-bent on seeing a photo.
Or check eBay- sometimes OEM speakers are for sale and they include the image.

And if you can't find one, I'll take one of mine,
but you're gonna have to wait 'till the next time I'm removing a panel for some other reason.
Sorry, but it's not really my job to come up with proof just because you don't want to take my word for it.

I've been on this forum for six years and this is truly a first-
I'm describing the Nak speakers that are on my own car, a car that I have worked on myself for the past 10 years,
and I'm being asked, by someone
who doesn't even have the Nak option on his car,
for proof that I'm describing it right!

You need to find some other hobby-
maybe you ought to go learn
how to reduce your JPG images to a more-manageable size.
Old 05-22-07, 06:29 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

WTF??

Dude-- maybe you need to learn how to communicate without tryin to step all over people's toes while doing so--

I think the guy that stated you have a superiority complex is not far off--

The stockers are an 11mm, which is in fact larger than a std. 4" -- I assumed they were 13's but whatever--

Just because the cone of a speaker is 4" does NOT make it a 4" speaker-- it makes it a speaker with a 4" cone--

There are many 5" mids as well as 4" mids with very similar cutouts and cone sizes--

Since these came from across the pond I'm betting they're a euro size--

I state this for accuracy and NOT simply because I've been doing this for 10 years..

Thanks for pointing me to a new hobby man--

I guess your knowledge is so vast mine is obsolete now- where did I go wrong?

Old 05-22-07, 10:45 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Really amazing - after being repeatedly told (by two different Nak owners) that our corner Naks are 4",
you still want to argue the point.

If you would bother to search, you'd see that there are definitely other posts out there that
mention the Naks are 4" - I can recall participating in them back in the early 90's.

But again, the fact you don't believe me is not my problem.

And the fact that you are too aliterate to search for those posts is, well, your problem.

(And by the way, it's "cm", not "mm".)
Old 05-22-07, 10:55 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Dude-- you're all about personal stabs aren't ya-- I've read several of your responses where you just seem to get a kick out of trying to make others looks stupid-- Which is basically what you're trying to do here-- Not only are you arguing ONE topic, you are sure to point out ANY little thing though it may be totally off topic (like mm instead of cm) -- Just to take a stab--

Nice Job-- You look smarter than me already--

By the way-- Mr. Strongsail noted that he did in fact ADD AN AMP to his previous system AND change the speakers hinting that maybe his quest to remain stock refers to wheels, body kits, engine upgrades, etc...

So why again do you like to step all over people's toes?? You make mistakes yourself don't you? You just did there-- oh, and I pointed it out-- now I feel better-- Now that I took a personal stab I feel a little smarter all the sudden--

Really man-- If you want to argue something, do it in a stately manner and show at least a shade of desire to coexist with others, instead of a desire to stand above everyone that may disagree with you-- It'll really improve your image-- Making personal stabs definitely doesn't make you look good-- so what does it make you look like???

I don't go around telling people how wrong they are and how they should just sell their car and ride a bike b/c they bought the wrong floormats or the wrong color touchup paint-- Give me a break already-- That reminds me of people I knew in the 4th grade--

Again, just because a speaker has a 4" cone, it doesn't make it a 4" speaker--

A 6.5 may have a 5" cone-- a 5" mid could have anywhere from a 4" to 4.7" cone--

I may have been mistaken to say they were a 13cm, but they are definitely not a STANDARD 4" mid--

I'd be really interested to see if the Nak's are even different than the pioneer's in terms of size, and I wouldn't even be surprised if they were identical--

My main intent was to state that the stockers seemed a bit bigger than a standard 4" --- that's all I meant to stress-- I had and still don't have any intention on making you or anyone else look stupid nor will I.

Have a good day--

Last edited by MJHSC400; 05-22-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-24-07, 03:26 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Here's an MB Quart 4" mid from a 3 way setup that includes a 6.5, 4, and tweet-- Next to the new Cadence CVL 5.25 mid with 3" voice coil--

Note how the CVL 5.25 has a 3.75" cone size-- where the MB mid's physical size is 4"-- but has a 2.75" cone-- The MB 4 actually is missing a mount ring that adds another 1/2" to the total size-- so it's actually just under 4.25 total -- but yet still has a 2.75" cone--

I wish I had a tape on this picture-- This is just not a 2.75" or even 3" cone-- it's closer to 3.75 or 4" --

Last edited by MJHSC400; 05-24-07 at 03:29 PM.