Sponsored by:

head unit - Alpine

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-01, 09:22 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head unit - Alpine

alright i am now sold on alpine head units. i have heard nothing but great sound quality remarks about them. now i wanna spend about 400-500 dollars on my head unit. which alpine head units out there do you guys recommend? i was lookin around and came across the CDA-5755. watcha think about that?

thanks
Old 12-09-01, 09:51 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

I'm not an expert in this field but I do have good teachers ( ) and I have to tell you bro, the unit you are looking at isn't a Tuner!! It's just an add-on cd player/dsp processor!!

If you are looking Alpine Head Units the CDA-7876 is the way to go!! It boasts a 60x4 amplifier, it's Satelite Radio Compatible, plus it has ALL the other features you would want... Including a remote control..

Another cool feature is that you can change the backlight color from "Alpine Green" to "Amber"...

www.alpine1.com

You could also look to Kenwood for a head unit... They have a new SLICK LOOKING line of head units out...

www.kenwood.com
Old 12-09-01, 11:18 PM
SC30092
Driver School Candidate

I had a alpine CDA-7876 for a while .. sounded great I just didn't like the interphase or cd text capabilities so I got a Kenwood just personal preference.
did you have a custom wire harness made fierce gs ? with what little research I have done for my car at least it all has to be custom
Old 12-10-01, 08:39 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

lex..ur right. hehe. hows the cda-7876 look in a gs? yeah the only downfall i see in the alpines is that they dont look all that great.

i looked at the kenwoods and they look pretty nice..i think they would look awesome in a gs.

heres a question..in general do alpine head units give out better sound quality output than keenwood? if theres a 'yes' or 'no' answer to that, then that will be the determining factor of which one to get..if not, i guess ill go with the one that looks better ;p.
Old 12-10-01, 08:46 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

brian..i didnt look into that. ill be redoing all my wiring.
but its wierd that they dont have a harness for your car.
Old 12-10-01, 02:30 PM
sarkastro
Pole Position

Default 7977

If you don't need the headunit doing any of your amplification, I would highly recommend the 7977.
Old 12-10-01, 06:24 PM
SC30092
Driver School Candidate

oh my bad .. I have to have everything custom cause I have a SC and it has a stock amp which messes all aftermarket stuff up .. You guys have the GS
Old 12-10-01, 09:27 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Default Re: 7977

If you don't need the headunit doing any of your amplification, I would highly recommend the 7977.
i dont like the way it looks. dont think itll match the gs interior very well in my opinion.

basically i guess the kenwood, alpine, and eclipse head units between 400-500 bucks will all offer pretty close sound quality since it seems like i hear great sound quality comments for all of them. nakamichi is out the question for me..looks like a stock head unit to me.

the only alpine one that interests me is the cda-7876.
out of the kenwoods would a good bet be the kenwood kdc-x817?
and which eclipse would u recommend?

price limit is 500 dollars.
Old 12-11-01, 09:12 AM
sarkastro
Pole Position

Default eclipse

If you're looking at Eclipse, I'd suggest either the cd5441 or the cd8051. Both can be had on Ebay for under 500 bucks. I'm not sure what they're supposed to retail for if you're not comfortable with buying from EBay. I woudn't go below one of those two models because you'll drop down to 2.7 volts on your preouts if you do. That is also one of the big differences between the Alpine 7876 and 7977. The 7876 only has a 4 volt on the sub preout. You might also want to look at the Clarion HD-D10. You can pick it up at thezeb for $535. If you're planning on going satellite radio, note that the Kenwood and Clarion units are in with Sirius, and Alpine is XM Radio ready.

Will
Old 12-11-01, 09:45 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fierce one, (aka fierce gs)

Take a look at the Clarion models. I'd rank them as the top of the list on the ones mentioned. Alpine head units can take one heck of a beating, quite durable. They also sound fairly good. I've never had Kenwoods before so I can't really say.

The 60x4 built in amp from Alpine, that's usually a max power PEAK rating with lots of distortion. In reality, it'll probably put out 1/2 that amount with a fair amount of distortion. Outboard amp units are your best bet since the power supply doesn't have to power the head unit, cd transport, converters (d/a), display and the built in amp. Outboards are more dedicated and the power supplies are built better.

Good luck on the head unit shopping!

Percy
Old 12-12-01, 09:58 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

nice!!!!! i cant believe i never took the time to look at the clarions. it seems like the clarion hx-d10s are incredible units! seems like they have superior sound quality, play cd-r's and rarely skip..either people say awesome things about it or nothing at all..with every other head unit, ive heard some negatives, like skipping or no cd-r playback, etc etc..

anything i should know before i order it?
im going to set this up with the the dynaudios (front and rear) and a jlw3. as far as the amps, im thinking ppi. do the hx-d10s have a subwoofer volume control? and i heard the screen doesnt tilt..i guess thats the only downside..i really liked the tilting screens..

thanks for all your help guys =)
Old 12-12-01, 09:59 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

and the black chrome aluminum plate would match the gs the best..right?
Old 12-13-01, 07:06 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It all depends on what you want the install to look like! Your call!

Percy