Sponsored by:

Avic D3 install Help 01 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 01:18 AM
jwcivic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avic D3 install Help 01 GS430

I need some advice for those who have done this install. I originally wanted to install this navi and keep my stock amp and stock sub like most, and tried really hard searching, but apparently no one has done it. I tried, but I know nothing about stereos and couldn't get the audio signals to through to the stock amp.

I tried to make RCA connectors from the D3 harness to the stock harness, but there was no sound.

1. Why doesn't this work? Can't send an amplified signal to an amp? What is the bus wire?

I gave up and sent the signal to the wire harness at the stock amp location. I ran speaker wire and tapped into the wires that went to the speakers. Thanks to LexBox for the PDF.

2. The speakers are working, but dunno how to use the stock sub now. Any suggestions? I am about to just use an old amp and sub in my garage. What happens if I plug the harness I tapped into (in the 2nd pic), back into the amp?

3. Is there a better or easier way to do what I did?

4. How can you check if the VSS wire is working correctly? I hooked it up, and I can see the dynamics. Does that mean its working?

5. How are you GS guys fitting all the wires behind your Ashtray??

thanks!
Old 05-23-07, 06:18 AM
dusouth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is how i kept my stock sub when installing avic d3..........i hooked up all my spkrs to the front 2 ch's then i hooked up my sub to the rear left ch. from the d3 i switched my sub output to the rear channel instead of the amp preout. this was the best way that ive found to keep the sub working without installing a new amp..........the d3 pushes 50w to the sub so it does sound very good but 50w is more than enough to blow that stock sub .
Old 05-23-07, 08:38 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

the only bad thing with this is that you'll most likely burnout your internal amplifier on your headunit from bridging the front channels. and you have no balance from front to rear, so everything is the same volume.
Old 05-23-07, 09:10 AM
jwcivic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 88supramki
the only bad thing with this is that you'll most likely burnout your internal amplifier on your headunit from bridging the front channels. and you have no balance from front to rear, so everything is the same volume.
Are you referring to Dusouth's method?

Dusouth, I saw your install, where did you stuff all your wires?
Old 05-23-07, 11:58 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

yes i'm referring to dusouth's method, the radio's internal amplifier is not meant to run at 2ohms
Old 05-23-07, 12:50 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

all my wires are stuffed to the left and right of the unit. some are stuffed behind like some of my preouts.................88supramki you are right about burnning out the amp, "but" that's for the guys that like to crank it. see i've done this on before on two other cars with mosfet 50x4 pioneer radio's and never had a problem because i don't crank it like i have an external amp. so i would say this info on how to hook up the sub is only for the guy like me who listens to talk radio,some rap and rnb at lower levels...........
Old 05-24-07, 07:25 PM
samsonpwnz
Driver School Candidate

I am trying to install the same exact head unit into my 02 GS300. Im in running into the same problem you did. Ive searched everywhere, and cant find any real answers. I guess I am going to have to do like you did and bypass the stock amp completely. Any other tips you can give me, and maybe the pdf also. Thanks
Old 05-25-07, 04:24 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Default For future reference

I'll be doing a D3 install in the next few months as well .....

Can I eliminate all this difficulty with the stock GS430 amplifier by replacing it with an aftermarket 5 channel amp ?

Thanks,

DaveC

Last edited by BossGS4; 12-28-07 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-25-07, 08:24 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

^^

yes you can, the aftermarket amp might be too much for a stock subwoofer though
Old 05-25-07, 12:05 PM
VTFIJI
Driver School Candidate

I don't have a GS, but in my ES.. I just ran my D3's pre-amp outputs to the RCA connectors on my wire harness. I would also check to make sure your amp turn-on wire is hooked up properly.

You're not going to get good quality sound with the way you have it hooked up now.
Old 05-25-07, 10:13 PM
samsonpwnz
Driver School Candidate

Hey jwcivic, I installed my D3 today. Well mostly anyway. Not quite done with it all but it is working. What did you do about the illumination wire? Right now i just tapped into a +12v wire so that its not so bright at night. Also did you find the VSS wire to tap into? If so any details on where exactly it is? As far as the stock sub, I think we are out of luck on that one. You could buy a seperate small amp for it, I dont even know how many watts its rated for and power it off the sub pre-outs from the back of the d3. For now I'm just planning on leaving the sub out of the equation. As far as an easier way to do what you did there is, what I did is bought a regular 87' and up toyota harness and plugged it into the harness that comes off the factory amp, that way you dont have to tap into the factory wires. Then all your speaker wires are right there. Of course you have to extend them so they reach the back of the head unit. It took my a while to do it, but I busted out the ol'e soldering iron and knocked it out. Luckily I had a 2 foot long section of 8 conductor wire just for this purpose.

Last edited by samsonpwnz; 05-25-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 06:13 PM
jwcivic
Driver School Candidate

Illumination I think I hooked it up to the white wire with 2 silver notches. I forgot to take a pic and cant really remember. Try it and test it.

Vss - I hooked it up to the Purple / white from the blue plug under / left of the steering column.
Old 05-29-07, 06:24 PM
jwcivic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VTFIJI
I don't have a GS, but in my ES.. I just ran my D3's pre-amp outputs to the RCA connectors on my wire harness. I would also check to make sure your amp turn-on wire is hooked up properly.

You're not going to get good quality sound with the way you have it hooked up now.
Are you talking about what I tried to do in the pic? I think that doesn't work cuz we have a data bus line that turns on the amp. Also I think the stock harness doesn't have the speakers split left and right. I think its split front and rear.

I think it sounds great like that, the D3 is strong enough to power the speakers.
Old 05-29-07, 07:05 PM
samsonpwnz
Driver School Candidate

I finally finished up my install over the weekend. I ended up hooking up the illumination wire to the ashtray light, since it comes on with the lights only. I also found another post that had the vss wire behind the speedometer. I finally found it and it works great. Now I have to tear it all apart again in a few days when I recieve my Sirius tuner in the mail.

Old 05-29-07, 07:57 PM
jwcivic
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the install. I believe the wire I hooked up is also a Vss, But is there anyway to know if its working? The Navi works the same with or without, its just more accurate with, but how do you really know?

Quick Reply: Avic D3 install Help 01 GS430