My Fist Time - 1st Stereo Install This Past Weekend - LONG - Several Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-01, 02:27 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Amlin423,

Try knocking down 3.3khz two steps. Also try 5khz. Which one sounds better?

Percy
Old 12-12-01, 03:19 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Battery Clarification

Andrew - No, the two different models of YT's are either side post or top post ( for your terminal connections ). The Red Top offers both styles on the same battery but, as I said before ( & the Optima website states ), it's not the correct application for heavy amperage draws like stereos. Personally, I like the top post style because they're larger & offer more surface area for your connection ( allowing more current flow, at least a small amount ). But every little bit helps!!
Old 12-12-01, 03:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,416 Posts

I've got a Radio Shack sound level meter I use to tune matching levels in my home theaters like the below...

Gene - I assume it'll work for what you're asking? Any instructions on what we should do with it / how to test?

Also - I've still got the original battery in my 98 GS, never had any problems with it... Just how big a difference will a new battery make?
Attached Images  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-12-01 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-12-01, 04:27 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Percy, I'll try that..
Dave,
I have the same thing also..unfortunately I don't have a test CD to produce the tones....still with the meter...I can plot out the response and get a flat curve but that doesn't necessarily means it sounds good..(it'll help to smooth spikes or dips)....response curves should be fairly subjective..i wonder how an installer determine what "sounds good"
Old 12-12-01, 06:56 PM
LIVN XL
Pole Position

The install looks great!! Can't wait to get my system started!!!
Old 12-13-01, 07:03 AM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Amlin423,

Try listening to a home system WITH GOOD HEADPHONES. That should give you a good starting point of what things should sound like. By good headphones...either the high end Sony Digitals or (even better), the Sennheiser HD580 or HD600. How do the vocals sound now?

DaveGS4,

The meter is fine for level matching but I wouldn't use it to balance out the system spectrally. Meter is designed for 1khz sensitivity and there are no other adjustments to change the frequency selection.

Percy

Originally posted by amlin423
Thanks Percy, I'll try that..
Dave,
I have the same thing also..unfortunately I don't have a test CD to produce the tones....still with the meter...I can plot out the response and get a flat curve but that doesn't necessarily means it sounds good..(it'll help to smooth spikes or dips)....response curves should be fairly subjective..i wonder how an installer determine what "sounds good"
Old 12-13-01, 11:49 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

Percy, It sound only a bit better..i'm afraid cutting it anymore i'll lose some other stuff...too bad i can't put acoustic treatments in my car...hanging carpet on my windows would be quite dangerous...

I was going to get the senheisser 600 before with the Melos Tube preamp ..however...got a martinlogan aerius and sonic
frontier (anthem) changer instead...ive heard great systems...but it's really difficult to get it where you want in the car environent..
My friend has the Melos..i'll see if he has a set of headphones to go with it...i don't have my aerius anymore...i'm using psb and marantz receiver (home theater use)....lot less fatiguing than my car for sure...
Old 12-14-01, 12:56 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Dexter! Congrats and welcome to the world of SQ car audio. From what I can tell the shop has taken a good care of you! The install is very clean and nice. You said that your rear panel is rattling a little. All you need is to add some mass to it. Just use some of the products like Dynomat Extreeme or RAAMmat (highly recomended). That will make your panel increase the mass and its not going to vibrate at all!

Looking good.
Old 12-16-01, 07:39 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dex taht loooks real great man!! does it push hard?

you should post that in the GS forum too cause i bet none of the guys have any idea!!

im gonna pick up a meter for my home theatre after christmas too, cause im getting a Sony 12" Sub for christmas i wanna know how much damage im doing to my ears :eek:
Old 12-16-01, 10:31 AM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Amlin423,

contact me at my email. esotar330@ameritech.net This is for a test tone cd.

Percy

Originally posted by amlin423
Percy, It sound only a bit better..i'm afraid cutting it anymore i'll lose some other stuff...too bad i can't put acoustic treatments in my car...hanging carpet on my windows would be quite dangerous...

I was going to get the senheisser 600 before with the Melos Tube preamp ..however...got a martinlogan aerius and sonic
frontier (anthem) changer instead...ive heard great systems...but it's really difficult to get it where you want in the car environent..
My friend has the Melos..i'll see if he has a set of headphones to go with it...i don't have my aerius anymore...i'm using psb and marantz receiver (home theater use)....lot less fatiguing than my car for sure...
Old 12-16-01, 12:20 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

GOOD to see all you guys into upgrading the stereo in the GS. I thought mine sounded terrible....I'm getting mine done now....HUGE INSTALL....will have tons of pics and info for you guys, should come out great...alot of equipment....hopefully done by next weekend, have to custom make everything.
Old 12-16-01, 12:34 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CSHFLW, I am looking foreward to your pics!!!
Old 12-16-01, 03:38 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

CSHFLW,

I have a RMM intake for sale...just saw that you were looking for one. Contact me at esotar330@ameritech.net

Percy
Old 12-18-01, 01:24 PM
enginyr
Banned

Dexter.....Very nice.....I should say very very very nice and clean nothing too overboard. Those bostons are priceless. I wont be doing such a heavy upgrade as you. I already ran my power wire to the trunk (1 12" Square L7 Kicker and RF300) Do you know where I can grab a +12V/acc from in the trunk area? I didn't want to tear appart the dash looking for it.
Old 12-18-01, 04:20 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

I have a gen 1 GS, I spliced into the turn-on lead of the factory amp in the trunk for my amp. It works great with my PPI amp and llc's. On my amp, it was the smallest guaged wire leading into the amp.

Quick Reply: My Fist Time - 1st Stereo Install This Past Weekend - LONG - Several Pics