Sponsored by:

Volume knob issue on SC - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 12:45 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Volume **** issue on SC - DIY w/ pics

OK, i know a bunch of you can use this, because i bought a used replacement item off ebay and it had the exact same problem.
What I'm talking about is when your volume **** on your SC stereo has this weird problem, when you try to adjust the volume, the level shoots way up
until you stop turning the ****. Or when you set the **** to all the way low, the level goes back up, and you have to turn the **** up slightly to get the
volume low.

This is one of my DIY on stupid little things that are easy to fix yourself for cheap, because I am an **** SOB, and that they way I am. Deal with it.

This is a cheap and easy fix that requires no replacement parts and just a can of electronics cleaner that can be found at your local auto parts store or radio shack.

Ok, first things first. You will need a regular #2 philips screwdriver to remove the main console piece. Pull out cup holder, and shifter (squeeze bottom section and push down), and gear selector trim. There are a number of screws to remove as circled below. (And yes, I need a new ebrake boot, :P.)

Ok, now remove the ***** by pulling them off and pull off the connectors from the back and unscrew the **** assembly from the console piece. You will be left with the **** assembly as show below. The plastic tabs will release the backing.

Now, You can disassemble it by removing the small screws with a precision philips screwdriver.

And that will bring you to the next step. From here you need to remove the POTs (Potentiometers) from the assembly by bending the metal tabs holding them on. Which will give you the POT alone. Shown below. Clean the metal contacts with the electronics cleaner and a toothbrush.

Also, you will have the PCB part of the POT (this is the CLimate control one, but do both of them while you are there.), you will see the contacts as shown. Clean these with the electronics cleaner and toothbrush.

I was expecting to have to replace the complete POTs when taking this on. But Lexus uses these easy to disassemble POTs that are easy to clean, INGENIOUS. Anyway, reassemble in the reverse order and reinstall. You will now have a functional unit, perhaps as good as new.

Glad to contribute to the Lexus community, I hope you love this car as much as I do!

* Mods - not sure if in right forum, maybe should be SC only???

Last edited by b1ackhawk; 05-27-07 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-28-07, 11:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

good diy, very common problem and a very simple fix that most people easily overlook.