Sponsored by:

Speakers quiet even when turned all the way up

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 03:48 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers quiet even when turned all the way up

Okay so here is the story and need some help...

Take my 92sc300 into auto car wash at a gas station (only sprays around and under no brushes). So it is doing its thing and car is getting pretty...radio is on. Next thing I know it sounds like a pop. Radio goes silent, sub keeps bumpin. Later on sounds like rice crispies snap craklin and popping. Now...radio works and sounds comes out but at full blast it is BARELY loud enough to hear with the windows down....

Any ideas on what the heck happened, what I can do to check, what I can do to fix? All help greatly appreciated

THANKS GUYS!
Old 05-28-07, 04:08 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jefferino
Okay so here is the story and need some help...

Take my 92sc300 into auto car wash at a gas station (only sprays around and under no brushes). So it is doing its thing and car is getting pretty...radio is on. Next thing I know it sounds like a pop. Radio goes silent, sub keeps bumpin. Later on sounds like rice crispies snap craklin and popping. Now...radio works and sounds comes out but at full blast it is BARELY loud enough to hear with the windows down....

Any ideas on what the heck happened, what I can do to check, what I can do to fix? All help greatly appreciated

THANKS GUYS!

I have same problems with my 01' LS430 ML system. Now there is no sound at all when the radio is on or the CD is playing. The popping, rice crispies, snap, craklin sounds sometime can get really loud that i thought the speakers are about to explode. You might wants to check your Amp if any water get in there. I haven't figure my problem yet.
Old 05-28-07, 04:19 PM
souljah798
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me once right after I bought the car. Had to replace the amplifier.
Old 05-28-07, 07:01 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds about right-- if the sub's still playing -- the head unit is still sending signal to the amps-- so if the amp is making noise but just not enough you know it has signal too--

This leaves a pretty easy puzzle to put together-- high pressure water sprayed upward toward a vent just below an amp-- amp goes pop snap crackle-- no more sound-- yadda yadda yadda--

time to hit aliga up -- dude's got every part of an SC available in great condition nearly all the time-- I've bought lotsa stuff from him with no prob whatsoever-- super good guy to get stuff from--
Old 05-31-07, 05:52 AM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a somewhat similar problem this last winter after allot of rain. The head unit had power and you could hear sound from the speakers ever so slightly with the volume at max. I decied to gut the system ,and in the process I was taking out the back seat and discovered all water in the car underneath the driverside rear seat. It also just so happened to have a connector that I was guessing was for the factory system. I guessing that water was causing a short. Im not sure, but it sounds alot like the leak I had. Good Luck!
Old 05-31-07, 06:46 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where is the amp in the car? Is it under the seats or in the trunk area under the cd changer? Thanks for the insight hopefully I can get this resolved sometime soon so I dont have to barely hear the radio on my way to work since my a/c isn't working either = windows all down!
Old 05-31-07, 01:21 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amp is under the cd changer -- (in the trunk) -- you have to pull up a piece of foam to reveal 2 hidden nuts also--

That is if the system is a lexus premium -- (pioneer)