Sponsored by:

Installed a headunit - RX300

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 04:09 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Installed a headunit - RX300

Alright, so after about three straight days of pulling panels off and mixing wires around and what not - I finally got a Pioneer headunit working in my 1999 RX300. It's running the stock speakers right now.

Before I put this in, I had two 12w3s wired through a hi-lo converter or LOC.. something like that. I didn't have any control over woofer volume from CDs or Radio. I was using a tape-deck/iPod combination and I could get the woofers pretty loud but it would distort the music too much.

Pretty much what I did was run a new line of speakerwire to each speaker and hijack a needleport thing.

Although there are some drawbacks and I was hoping I could get help from you guys.

My first issue is that I have my tweeters disconnected. Could someone diagram how I should have them crossed over from the front door speakers.

Second - I'm also stealing a constant/acc/ground plug from the factory radio. So all the A/C controls and the trip information etc. doesn't show up.

By the way - I'm also building a box for this so it's only sitting like that temporarily.

Last edited by tom44vip; 05-28-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 07:26 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power and acc are easy-- so is the ground --

Pull acc from ignition at the fuse panel-- pull power from battery constant power -- can be straight off a secondary power wire that branches from the main power cable-- (just trace to a smaller one that's loomed and splice in ) --

As far as tweets go-- if they're factory tweets, just hook them back up-- they should be on the same channel as the mids most likely and should have their own built in xover (prob an inline cap) --

If they're not stockers there are other ways to do it-- like using either a capacitor or just getting some decent passive xovers-- (I've actually got some) --
Old 05-29-07, 06:49 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

They are stock tweeters.

I took the tweeters out and I think I saw a passive crossover soddered to the positive terminal of the tweeter (a little black cylinder type thing right?)
Anyways, i'm not understanding something still. There are two pairs of speakerwire ... (+-) (+-) coming from the car. the wires are crossed to make it ++ -- . The ++ goes to the + on the tweeter I'm assuming.
What I'm not seeing is how the tweeter is integrated into the system.. I'd say the one set of (+-) is from the amp and the other one leads to the door speaker. But I don't understand why they polarize to connect to the tweeter!

If anyone understood that, I could really use some help lol.
Old 05-29-07, 06:53 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

I also wanted to add, that when i turn the factory radio on, the tweeters still play lol
Old 07-06-07, 02:46 AM
vindizzy
Driver School Candidate

Hey tom44vip, I have the exact same car as you and I was planning to intall a deck just like you did. I was wondering if you can help me out with the wire codes/colors and where I can find it. I would really appreciate it.
(speaker wires, subwoofer wire, accessory, constant 12v, power, antenna, ect.)
Also, how did you connect the antenna cable (the big black one that plugs into the hole in back of the deck)? can it reach all the way down there or is there an extension the I can buy? Thanks