Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Pioneer Amp Help- 1993 Gs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-01 | 12:45 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Default Pioneer Amp Help- 1993 Gs

I am planning on installed an amp into my gen1 GS. I just finished looking at the factory amp and am thrilled that it is all wired to the trunk. For now I am going to hook up an amp using the LLC's recomended by Percy, using the stock wiring. Mind you, the system is for my enjoyment not competition.

1. Does anyone have any experience with this amp as far as a schematic to distinguish the wire color code? ( i know that the actual drawings are copyrighted by Lexus, I might have to test each one, huh?!)

2. I know that some cars wire other functions into their radios, (i.e. 1996 Honda civics), by bypassing the Pioneer unit will I lose any functionality?

Thannks for any help, hopefully I will not have to test the wires, but, I guess that is part of the fun!

Jeff
Old 12-13-01 | 07:16 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Jeff,

Best bet is to go to your dealership and ask for a copy of their EWD's for that car. (Electrical Wiring Diagram) The better dealerships will let you copy what you need.

Copyright just means that you can't sell or publish without authors consent. They nab you if you're trying to use it in a publication without their permission. Now if it's only one or two copies and it's for free, they really don't care unless their lawyers are bored to death.

Only things that aren't copyrighted are some sales brochures. They do this on purpose so the word can get out via publications, reviews, etc.

Percy
Old 12-14-01 | 06:16 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i went to my lexus dealer and got a copy. here are some confusion that i might save you from.

1. there is only 1 amp for both the subs and all the speaker.
2. hook up your LLC AFTER the amp. (i hook mine up before the amp and the power was really weak and had to turn it up ALL the way to hear anything.
3. hook it up to the sub output on the amp.
4. its not that hard good luck
Old 12-14-01 | 09:34 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much! I am going to buy two llc's and hook up my 6 channel PPI amp. One question, is the output of the amp the brown connector? I guessed since it had 5 sets of two wires. What LLC are you using? Any pictures? I would really appreciate it. Oh, one more, where did you run your power wire. I can't find a hole in the firewall to run it through. Thank you again!
Old 12-14-01 | 11:02 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

for the power wire just first open the hood and run it along the left side of the car. now standing where the front right wheel is there is a round rubber seal thingy located against the firewall. just cut a whole in that CAREFULLY and push the power wire in. after you get it in. just keep pushing it in and keep the driver side door open. peek into the crack that the door makes when it is open and you should see your power wire drop down. next on the driver door there is another tube like thingy where the power goes into the driver door. just cut another slit in the tube carfully and push the power cord in. after you get it in you have to remove the panel along the carpet to get to the wire. now that your wire is inside your car just run it along under all that plastic covering. they all just snap on and off.

next when you have reached the back seat it is easier than it seams. just pull up on the front of the back seat 1 side at a time and it should snap right up. then just take the bottom of the back seat out. next there is 4 bolts on the bottom of the backing of the back seat. there is 2 in the middle on both side of the belt connector and 1 on each side closer to the outside. after you take these 4 bolts off just push the backing of the backseat up towards the ceiling so it unhooks and you should have the backing off.

keep running your wires along the side and about 3/4 of the way up the backing of the back seat there should be another rubber thingy like the one under the hood. just cut a hole in htat and push the power wiire through and your DONE.

Your welcome.

also on the first generation they made the trunk seal really good so you probly won't hear any bass inside the car here is what i did to make the bass louder.

on the back where all the metal is you should see a retangular piece of metal. take i think 6-8 screws off and remove that piece of metal. after that you should be able to look straight through to the trunk and your bass should travel right through the car now making it 150% percent louder. i tried it and it freaking works good. also one last thing. when you take of it might be alittle messy because they put tar there to keep it sealed good. tell me how it goes and if you got more questions just ask me. i'm only 17 just i have a GS. i know a lot about my gs because i play with it alot heehe.
Old 12-15-01 | 09:40 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot. I installed my power lead tonight, it really was easy. I will be installing my amp as soon as I pick up some LLC's.
Old 12-15-01 | 09:58 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

glad to hear i was a help. btw what head lights are you using. i don't know many people with first generation GS. i want to upgrade my headlights to 100w bulbs. do you know where i can order the wiring harness
Old 12-15-01 | 11:40 PM
gen1gs
Driver School Candidate

I am using Piaa Superwhites. They are 60watts, but Piaa claims that they have the output of a 110watt bulb. I am using the stock harness with no problems. What LLC are you using? How do you have it wired into your system?
Old 12-15-01 | 11:52 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i am using a PAC LLC. i have it wired into the subout after it goes through the amp. also you you will want to disconnect your stock sub because if you don't you will hear a rumbling sound when you first start your car and when you turn off your radio with your engine on.

also this might also be helpful. i hooked my remote wire up to the acc. connector
Old 09-02-08 | 05:29 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Maybe i'm just a visual person... can a picture of the entry point for the power get posted....?