Sponsored by:

Upgrade Factory Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-01, 01:41 PM
lexusgy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade Factory Sound System

I have a 1992 Lexus ES300. I wanted to add subs and I heard you can replace the original amp with a better one. I wanted to ask do i need any more special wiring kits or can I use the existing wires. I saw that somebody(i think it was lexpusher96) else did the same thing. What kind of amp would be the best to use with this application.
Would you get this professional installed or can I do it?

Thanks
Old 12-12-01, 07:52 PM
mrand01
Rookie

i installed mine all myself...didn't take pictures during wiring and I'm at school, so i can't help you with wiring but I can tell you that there are wiring diagrams online and that it takes some time. The easiest way to go about it is change out everything...head unit, amp, speakers, and get subs. Speakers aren't completely necessary as I had my stock ones on an external amp for awhile until I got extra money for new ones. The factory amp is under the passenger seat, real easy to take out. Any other questions, just ask.
Old 12-13-01, 07:25 PM
lexusgy
Driver School Candidate

Cool Upgrade Factory System Reply

Come on ES guys I know more than one person had to upgrade

their system. Thanks for your comment mrand01 I appreciate it.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR IDEAS AND TECHNIQUES.

AFTER I GET MY SYSTEM MY FUTURE MODS ARE AN AKIMOTO RAM AIR INTAKE SYSTEM AND A RACTIVE STRUT TOWER BRACE.
Old 12-14-01, 09:20 PM
lexusgy
Driver School Candidate

I HEARD LEXPUSHER96 HAD A SETUP LIKE THE WAY I WANT
Old 12-15-01, 12:53 AM
B-NIS
Rookie

You will for sure need a amp kit consisting of power wire, ground wire, remote wire, and RCAs. If you are going to keep the stock cd player, you will need to buy a line converter (I think thats what it is called). It's a little box that you tap into the speaker outlets from the cd player and then have RCAs coming out from it to the amp. They should be around $15. Just tell whoever you buy it from what car you have and ask which wires to tap into. Your power wire comes from the battery to a inline fuse (tapped into the wire) then to your amp. The ground goes from something metal on the car, usually a bolt under the seat, to the amp. The remote and RCA's from the CD player. Then ofcourse speaker cable. Depending on how much wire you need and what size of amp you will need, the price should be for everything $30-60. If you need any other help with this or with choosing a good sub/amp combo to suit your preferences, I can try to help guide you in the right direction and give you some advice, but it is all up to you. Hope this helps