Sponsored by:

Is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 12:56 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this correct?

So my plans are to upgrad my stereo system in my 2000 GS3 w/Nak. I went to the local stereo shop. The sales man and the installer told me that if I get Nav/dvd/cd deck, i will need to have new speakers installed because aftermarket decks do not support the nakamichi. This does not sound right? The total price with new door speakers was like 3000.00 I just wanted a Navigation, and keep all my speakers the same????

I was looking at the Kenwood unit it was really nice?
Old 05-31-07, 01:20 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what ohm the stock Nak speakers are-- if they're 4ohm, you'd simply need to run your head unit speaker wires directly to the speakers in the doors-- if they're 8 ohm, your head unit will likely underpower them at that ohm load-- In that case you would just feed your stock amps low level signal from your head unit's rca outputs--

There seems to be an issue about Nak system's using some digital signals to the amps or something after a certain year, and that may present a problem if you decided to use the stock amps-- so not sure there--

BUT-- I do know for a fact that you can just bypass the stock mid/hi amp and run your door/rear speakers with your new head unit IF they're 4ohm speakers--
Old 06-01-07, 10:15 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-07, 01:39 PM
gspimped
Driver

Default Rewire

You dont have to rewire it but the new headunit and the stock amp will not play nice together for very long.

I would recommend bypassing the factory amp, which is soooooo easy. It takes ten minutes because it can all be done at the stock amp in the trunk on the right handside under the carpet. It will eliminate your factory sub though.
The speakers are 4 ohm so you are good there, but without the factory sub you will get no bass, and I mean NO bass.

Dont let them rip you off on the rewire though, like I said you can do it all at the amp, I have the colors if you need them if you want to do it yourself.

Good luck bro, and email me if you got any questions or whatever, I work for Circuit so I know whats going on with prices and all that shizit, oh email pimpedaccord@yahoo.com
Old 06-01-07, 01:40 PM
gspimped
Driver

Default what shop

Oh yeah forgot to ask, where you at in WA and what shop did you go to?
I was based in the Tacoma area when I was there, and I could refer you to some cheaper places if your near there.
pimpedaccord@yahoo.com
Old 06-01-07, 08:35 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock sub amp can be re-claimed via sending low level signals-- RCA's --

Use your sub output, it should have a xover with selectable freq's as well as a sub level--

Using the sub level as a gain control you should be able to get away with matching up the voltage your stock sub amp wants pretty close-- and overdriving it just a bit may not hurt, but if it's clipping (distorting) you'll hear it and you can adjust the sub level accordingly--

I'd bet on the sub amp it only has a signal ground as well as a pos.-- instead of left and right inputs via lowe level from the head unit-- so the equiv of just one channel of an RCA cable- In this case you would patch in your left side signal-- (where most bass in music is mastered-- but not always) -- You just don't want to connect the left + and right + together-- that would be bad--

Good luck-- It seems like shops like to prey on us poor lexus owners as they just assume we're both rich and stupid--

My SC was only $3400, but I still get those looks -- "Rich *****" -- ha ha -- I'm so broke--

But I damn sure aint stupid--