Sponsored by:

Lexus SC400 Speaker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 11:26 AM
HighSoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus SC400 Speaker Questions

I'm trying to upgrade my stereo system for my SC400. My stock sub blew the other day. I'm trying to step up the subwoofer but I am not sure the mounting size depth of the speakers. Does anyone know how deep the sub can go in the stock enclosure? I'm looking at a few free air subwoofers but I'm not sure how deep they can be.
Old 06-03-07, 01:34 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock sub/amp are 1ohm -- so as hard as it is to find freeair subs, it's even harder to find them in 1ohm versions--

Also, there's a little more room than the oe setup allows-- there's a 1" tall ring on top of the stock sub that tells us there is at least an extra inch --- If you made a ring that flushes the new sub up against the stock grille you'd at least gain 1" of depth--

My advice-- remove the stock sub completely and add a small single sub in an enclosure if you really want to step up the performance--

An ED 110v.2 would be great in conjunction with a small 300w amp in a small sealed box in the trunk-- you could also build a flush fglass enclosure into the left wall of the trunk pretty easily for a single 10 or 12 that doesn't eat up trunk space very much at all--

All this to say there are better ways to improve lowend than using a freeair sub and the stock sub amp-- the stock amp is about as weak as it can possibly get--

A slim sq10 from ed in a small enclosure (really small-- like .3 ft I think) with 300w should do really well compared to stock--

Just removing the stock sub will allow enough air to flow through the deck to really improve the sound of a sub in the trunk--

edesignaudio.com -- where you can find the sq10 @ $70 (slim depth for small spaces-- but still better in an enclosure-- they just work in a really small one)

cadencesound.com -- This Amp is a pretty nice deal to run a single sub-- and it's brand new factory direct with full warranty-- cadence really covers their products well-- if you ever have trouble they will bend over backwards to help you out--

So for about $250 you can wake up the lowend pretty well-- you may want to get a decent LOC to feed the amp signal-- they usually go for $35 or so-- this will really improve the lowend, whereas, just swapping a sub will do very little in the way of improvement over stock--

Last edited by MJHSC400; 06-03-07 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-03-07, 08:28 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Well I wasn't looking at changing out JUST the stock sub. I was looking at changing out the entire system. But right now I'm trying to do research as to how big of a sub can go into the original location because I need to retain as much trunk space as possible. I go to college in Virginia but I live in Florida so I need all the trunk space I can get to lug all my stuff to and from school.

I've not yet looked into the idea of a small box just for the fact that if I can get a pretty strong sub in the back where the stock location is, I'd rather do that than to take up the trunk space. I'm not necessarily ruling out the option of doing it, but I'd prefer to find a free air sub and amp setup that will enable me to push out some relatively nice sound that can compare to having say maybe a smaller box setup in the trunk.
Old 06-03-07, 09:37 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

That's just the thing-- that is very hard to do in an SC-- BUT-- a side mount f-glass enclosure or even one on each side with an SQ10 in them is pretty easy to do and won't take up any more space than is alread being taken up by the factory trim panels--
Old 06-05-07, 12:00 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Hmmmm.... I think I'll give that a shot. Although I'm horrible with stereo systems, I think I may know a place where I can get it done and possibly mount the amp behind the back wall of the trunk. I'm hoping with this I can not only keep the stereo sounding nicely but also keep the stereo system as inconspicous as possible.
Old 06-05-07, 01:05 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
The stock sub/amp are 1ohm -- so as hard as it is to find freeair subs, it's even harder to find them in 1ohm versions

You certain about that?? My nakamichi, as well as other members I know, all had 5 ohm subs.
Old 06-05-07, 01:10 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I guess that makes a difference whether we're talking about Nak or Pioneer (Lexus Premium) --

So Nak is easy to find an aftermarket amp for-- I'd bet the stock sub would sound much better with about twice the power if crossed over correctly and eq'd right--

The pioneer is harder to find an amp for--

It's possible for either, but it's questionable as to whether it's worth messing with the stock sub--

There are a lot better ways to pick up some lowend for pertty inexpensive--
Old 06-05-07, 02:00 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Ah that answers it! Pioneer vs Nak. The stock Nak is.....meh....even with a little more power, most units are older and the surround has dried substantially. Effectively decreasing/mudding output.

All the more reason why I ripped out that sucker (I am one of the unfortunate fools that had an 8" OEM sub as opposed to 10"), dropped in an IB4 10 and replaced the Nak amp with a little more power. 100w ea, all 4 front/rear channels, 400w dedicated 5th channel sub.
Old 06-05-07, 02:38 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Ah that answers it! Pioneer vs Nak. The stock Nak is.....meh....even with a little more power, most units are older and the surround has dried substantially. Effectively decreasing/mudding output.

All the more reason why I ripped out that sucker (I am one of the unfortunate fools that had an 8" OEM sub as opposed to 10"), dropped in an IB4 10 and replaced the Nak amp with a little more power. 100w ea, all 4 front/rear channels, 400w dedicated 5th channel sub.
LOL don't worry you're not the only one. I got an 8" OEM sub too that's why I was looking to replace it. I've heard of doing the IB4 10 and replacing the amp and getting a stronger amp for the sub too. Only problem is, somehow my CD changer decided to go on the friz so I can't play CD's. It actually locked the CD case in to where I can't even get it out now for some reason. But I couldn't play burnt CD-Rs on it anyway which is what had me considering changing out my head unit. I'm not sure if anyone else has faced a similar problem.
Old 06-05-07, 02:47 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

The burned out CD changer is fairly common. As is burnt out amps (I went through 2 nak amps). Overall, the best way would be to replace eveything with new stuff. However, I want to continue the stealth appearance of the stock HU.

Thief looks in the car and has no idea that all the speakers are replaced with larger MB Quart new sub, new amp.........
Old 06-05-07, 03:24 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
The burned out CD changer is fairly common. As is burnt out amps (I went through 2 nak amps). Overall, the best way would be to replace eveything with new stuff. However, I want to continue the stealth appearance of the stock HU.

Thief looks in the car and has no idea that all the speakers are replaced with larger MB Quart new sub, new amp.........
Yeah I was considering doing something similar too just because I want it to LOOK stock but I want it to sound as nice as possible. The sad thing is I JUST had the CD changer replaced a few months ago and it's still acting up. Granted when it was replaced it was acting a little funny to begin with. From what I've heard the JL Audio IB4 is one of the better subs to switch out for the stock sub, but I'm still trying to look into amplifier and interior speaker options without going into suicidal costs. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have yet to decide on a firm plan of option yet. When you replaced with the MB Quarts did you keep the stock 4" size speakers or did you up to 6 1/2"?
Old 06-05-07, 07:39 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

One of these ED generic subs would be worth trying -- They're IB capable-- http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=92

Very cheap-- but reviews have been very good on them --

The 12 could be bottom mounted in a 10" stock sub car-- the 8 of course would fit an 8" sub car-- but a 12 may possibly work bottom mounted also --

A little cutting may allow the utilization of the grille and everything could remain at stock appearance--

It's worth a shot at the price for sure--

I'm considering building custom doors with these 8"s too--
Old 06-05-07, 08:44 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

That all sounds good. I'm supposed to be going back to this shop in another day or two after I finish working on my headlights. They sell JL Audio speakers so I may look into the IB4. Maybe single IB4 10" setup. Something that won't crush my pockets. Not sure what type interior speakers I'm going to settle on yet.
Old 06-06-07, 07:08 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
I'm considering building custom doors with these 8"s too--

Mmmmmmm......8's in the doors!!!
Old 06-06-07, 07:09 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by HighSoarer
Yeah I was considering doing something similar too just because I want it to LOOK stock but I want it to sound as nice as possible. The sad thing is I JUST had the CD changer replaced a few months ago and it's still acting up. Granted when it was replaced it was acting a little funny to begin with. From what I've heard the JL Audio IB4 is one of the better subs to switch out for the stock sub, but I'm still trying to look into amplifier and interior speaker options without going into suicidal costs. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have yet to decide on a firm plan of option yet. When you replaced with the MB Quarts did you keep the stock 4" size speakers or did you up to 6 1/2"?

I went up.

5.25 in the doors and 6.5 in the rear deck.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC400 Speaker Questions