Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

So I picked up this beast this past Friday [PICS - TC Sounds TC-9 12" subwoofer ]

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 11:54 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Wow.....beautiful setup. My boy had a 700 watt Zapco amp (dont remember the model #) powering 3 Kove audio 12's in separate, sealed enclosures. Zapco is one of the most powerful and best sounding bass amps around.

Just make sure you run 0 guage power wires to that thing. I would go w/ a sealed enclosure as well. Ported not only takes up more space but is heavier! You have more than enough audio weight to slow you down.

Your low end is set, wat about your highs?
Thanks!

I'm going to be using the stock Nakamichi speakers. Wait, before you say 'come on now, the oem ones...you gotta be kiddin' me, right?" The stock Nakamichis are actually very good speakers. IMO, better than the what Lexus currently offers as their premium sound system (Mark Levinson)

If you don't take my word for it. Here's a link to where Tom Nousaine does an in-depth review of the 1993 Lexus GS300's Nakamichi system.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=review

Originally Posted by LiLS
wow 2200...big baller.
Nah, not at all....come on now, who pays retail these days

Originally Posted by Robert_J
It's all relative. After working on my home theater sub, an 8cf/325lb box, a 2cf box is quite small. Check out these 7 foot tall, cylinder subs - link.-Robert
Whoa! That set-up is crazy! I can only imagine what it sounds like. They look like SVS tube set-ups on roids
Old 06-20-07, 12:16 PM
kramer5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all relative. After working on my home theater sub, an 8cf/325lb box, a 2cf box is quite small. Check out these 7 foot tall, cylinder subs - link.

A properly installed IB with the right driver should sound amazing. The IB concept in cars and homes is very similar. Here's an FAQ on them. Just remember that your car is a much smaller listening space than a home so the recommendations for multiple 18" subs is a little overkill. And if an IB didn't sound amazing, people wouldn't go to these lengths to install them in their house.

-Robert
Thats a great www resource for IB subs installs. Thats where I got the idea form really.

Here are some pics...
Heres the stock sub opening in my ES300. I am going to open it up a little with my dremel and nibbler tool.

Heres the prototype box I made. The subs are some cheap boss subs. They have a high-ish Qts ~.7 and Fs around 28Hz. I'm surprised how good they sound, powered by the OEM sub-amp.

The hardest part is getting a good seal between the dech and IB enclosure. I have some ideas for the final rendition of the design. For this prototype I used some semi-dense packaging foam.

Heres a peek inside the IB enclosure, looking through the OEM sub-hole.

The box itself is super-small. Just barely large enough to house the drivers. Essentially you are using the trunk and passenger compartment as the enclosure. Its a little boomy for my tastes. I will use a lower Qts powerbase sub and see how that works out. If that doesn't work, parts express has some Daytons that look good on paper... and have a lower Fs than my powerbase.
Old 06-20-07, 12:50 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Seize
Whoa! That set-up is crazy! I can only imagine what it sounds like. They look like SVS tube set-ups on roids
Those use 18" Ascendant Audio Avalanche drivers. According to his reviews, he's already cracked a window but the subs never sounded stressed. He does like the sound of his neighbor's IB sub with four 15" Soundsplinter RL-p 15's.

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Thats a great www resource for IB subs installs. Thats where I got the idea form really.............The box itself is super-small. Just barely large enough to house the drivers. Essentially you are using the trunk and passenger compartment as the enclosure. Its a little boomy for my tastes. I will use a lower Qts powerbase sub and see how that works out. If that doesn't work, parts express has some Daytons that look good on paper... and have a lower Fs than my powerbase.
Now that's a proper IB sub in a car. Opposing drivers in a manifold to cancel vibrations. I am impressed. Now, which Daytons are you looking at? The IB subs have been known to have a noisy suspension. The DVC series are very nice. The Titanics are even better.

As for the boominess, all subs can benefit from the proper application of EQ. In my home theater, I'm using the parametric EQ from a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. There's a guy at the Parts Express board that's working on a bolt-in 12V power supply for Behringer equipment (like the BFD and cross-over). That would be a great addition to any high-end setup.

-Robert
Old 06-20-07, 01:34 PM
kramer5150
Driver School Candidate

Now that's a proper IB sub in a car. Opposing drivers in a manifold to cancel vibrations. I am impressed. Now, which Daytons are you looking at? The IB subs have been known to have a noisy suspension. The DVC series are very nice. The Titanics are even better.

-Robert
Thanks!! I'm surprised it sounds usably good from such a small-box, and a cheap sub.

This one here has my attention:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-468

Low-ish Qts and a Fs of 18Hz. Thats ~10Hz lower than my powerbase.... heres some pics of my big black sub, for kicks and giggles.

Last edited by kramer5150; 06-20-07 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 02:36 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Thanks!! I'm surprised it sounds usably good from such a small-box, and a cheap sub.
It's not a small box. It uses the entire trunk as the enclosure. Your manifold is on the small size and your are probably borderline on turning that into a 4th order bandpass enclosure. But there have been a lot of successfull home IB's with small manifold openings.

This one here has my attention:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-468
Low-ish Qts and a Fs of 18Hz. Thats ~10Hz lower than my powerbase.... heres some pics of my big black sub, for kicks and giggles.
I always forget about the RS series. Not only does it have a low Fs, look at the inductance. It's extremely low as well. Great for sound quality. With 14mm of xmax, I wouldn't use it for a home IB but for a car IB, it should be excellent.

-Robert
Old 06-20-07, 05:07 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a proper deck/sub install my man!

I'll give that a big thumbs up-- :thumbsup:

I'f I could just build the gas tank into the spare tire well of my SC I could do that too--
Old 06-20-07, 05:41 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Kramer - Awesome set-up
Old 06-20-07, 08:29 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

What do you have in mind as far as power wires(s)???
Ur going to be pushing over 2000 Watts right?
Are you going to need a cap? extra battery? another alternator?

-just wondering...Thanks.
Old 06-22-07, 10:13 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The woofer in the original post - TC Sounds - does that come out of the same factory that the previous Eclipse aluminum/titanium line does? It looks similar.
Old 06-24-07, 05:32 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by engin_ear
The woofer in the original post - TC Sounds - does that come out of the same factory that the previous Eclipse aluminum/titanium line does? It looks similar.
TC Sounds has been building Eclipse subs for years. In fact, they hold the exclusive rights to this basket design. So if you see that basket on an Eclipse, SVS (April, 2 news for the pic) or Ground Zero you know who the build house is.

Also, the Eclipse 8000 Series is basically the discontinued LMS 4000 with a different basket and a heat sink on the motor. The 12" 8200 can be had on Ebay for around $200 shipped which is a GREAT deal.

-Robert
Old 06-29-07, 07:03 PM
GSlider
Rookie

Good choice indeed! TC makes some great stuff.