Sponsored by:

92 SC4 Stereo: what would you do

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 01:14 AM
itssr20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC4 Stereo: what would you do

I can either get an aftermarket head unit that plays mp3s for around 100 bucks, or search around for a used 12 disc CD changer b/c mine isn't working. Anybody know how much the changers are goin for these days? or another model that will work w/ the SC4

If I go the head unit route then I'd have to find a trim piece that looks good, and fills in all the open space. I've done wiring before so I'm sure I can figure that out. Part #, brand anyone?

what ya think?
Old 06-15-07, 01:25 AM
Caanon
Rookie

search around here and on the lexus owners club or whatever, I remember someone wired it up so they could connect their MP3 player to the stock unit, it kind of replaced the CD changer. The only issue I believe was that while the CD player didn't have to be able able to read CDs, it had to still be able to function and send some signal or something(not sure on this), I forget.
Old 06-15-07, 05:59 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

ok so go to circuit city or someplace like that, they can install some wiring thing to where there is a cable that goes into the back of your radio and the run it into your center console/armrest and it comes out of there and you can plug your mp3 player into it. they put a toggle switch in which switches from the radio to mp3 and back and forth, you have to have the radio set to a certain channel and turn the toggle switch to "on" and it plays you mp3s. its a great deal, i think only like $80 and it looks very professional
Old 06-15-07, 06:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rocessk3
ok so go to circuit city or someplace like that, they can install some wiring thing to where there is a cable that goes into the back of your radio and the run it into your center console/armrest and it comes out of there and you can plug your mp3 player into it. they put a toggle switch in which switches from the radio to mp3 and back and forth, you have to have the radio set to a certain channel and turn the toggle switch to "on" and it plays you mp3s. its a great deal, i think only like $80 and it looks very professional
but it still sounds like FM radio... not that MP3's are perfect, but they definitely have more dynamic range than FM radio does...
Old 06-15-07, 06:35 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

well i dunno, it just sounded a whole lot better than getting one of those things that plug into a tape deck/cassette and plug into the mp3 player. if its not the way you want to go thats cool, i just dont have loads of money to spend on audio right now
Old 06-15-07, 10:06 AM
itssr20
Driver

Originally Posted by rocessk3
I've got one of those recievers that send a signal to the radio, but I've got a cheapy mp3 player that uses batteries and I dont like using it much.

I was wondering more about a stereo head unit vs getting a factory replacement CD changer.
Old 06-15-07, 03:04 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the Ipod integration for the price of cable-- $10 or so-- definitely the cost friendly method to enable digital listening--
Old 06-15-07, 07:08 PM
ccotenj
Driver School Candidate

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=iDA-X001
Old 06-18-07, 12:19 AM
MattSEG
Driver

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
I did the Ipod integration for the price of cable-- $10 or so-- definitely the cost friendly method to enable digital listening--
How did you do it?