Sponsored by:

Help me Choose my New Front Stage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 10:29 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me Choose my New Front Stage

Man, I've never been more confused. There are just so many options, and the problem is, most of the high end audio equipment can't be found in stores to listen to.

My budget is about $500. I don't want to spend more than that on my front setup. I still have to buy a navi, and a sub..

I plan to do fiberglass pods in my door panels, so I'm not afraid of speakers that need to be sealed. Also, I'm going to be using my new Elemental Designs NINe.5, so I have 4 x 100W (and a birthsheet showed more like 4x125), to run my front stage. (Yep, I can go active).

1) ScanSpeak Revelators 7" mids, Seas Neo-Tweeters (total of about $500)... run it active

2) CDT ES-06+ 6.5" drivers + ES-02 Mid-Tweeters (total of about $500.. run it active)

3) Morel Elate 2way or 3way setup.. not sure yet, and I don't think it fits into my budget, but I must look into it

4) Focal Polyglass 165.. (around $400).. the problem with these is that they don't run that much power... or atleast they are rated at 80W Rms. Also, I've heard bad things about Focal tweets tearing up your ear drums. I prefer a soft smooth sound.

5) Dayton mids and some tweet that will go nicely with them. No idea what tweet.

I don't know what else to be looking at. The high end stuff, like the scan speak revelators and the morels.. its really hard to find information about all that stuff.

Also, I'm thinking baout doing a CDT 3-way setup, but that will definitely cross my budget of $500.

What do you reccomend?
Old 06-18-07, 11:31 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Focal tweeters really aren't as bad as some people make them seem. The inverted dome is a lot nicer than dome tweeters.

Morels would be nice, but probably over the budget you have set.

I ran the 165 V2 in my car for a long while and loved them

You could get my Utopias for just under $500
Old 06-18-07, 11:44 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 88supramki
Focal tweeters really aren't as bad as some people make them seem. The inverted dome is a lot nicer than dome tweeters.

Morels would be nice, but probably over the budget you have set.

I ran the 165 V2 in my car for a long while and loved them

You could get my Utopias for just under $500
I'll look into the Morels. Which utopias do you have? How did you install them, sealed, or IB, etc?

I read a review online of the utopias where a guy said he first ran 100W to each and was very unimpressed.. he then boght a 4 ch amp, bridged it, and ran 400W to each set and said they were amazing. Said they really need power, and that he had to tame the tweeter down a bit but it sounded great.

Whats your experience with the Utopias? And how old is your set?

Also, do focals lack midbass, like some people seem to say?

Last edited by Suneet; 06-18-07 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 08:31 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure of the age.

I ran them IB but sealed off the door with dynamat completely. Stand alone the Utopias have better midbass than the K2P speakers. I'm only running 150 watts to each side and they sound great.

Tweeter can be a tad bright, but you can adjust it down. It's a very natural sounding tweeter.

If I didn't work in car audio I would keep my Utopias, but I'm just itching to try out a 3way set up
Old 06-19-07, 09:47 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

The Morel Elate 3-ways were $1100 (and that was with a discount), I was really close to buying them, I bought my Eclipse HU instead.

That was about 8 months ago, the price might have changed
Old 06-20-07, 03:14 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Looks like I'm going to be picking up a set of 7" ScanSpeak Revelators tomorrow... the same speakers Alpine uses in their $2000 components.. (albeit, slightly modified..)..

I sure hope I can make these fit!

Now I need to figure out which tweeters I want to run..
Old 06-20-07, 04:59 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Revelators = Serious top end quality--

Active is good-- Seas or ScanSpeak --

I'd do it as it's gonna own and so few others go outside the box like that--

It's always cool to say you did something totally different and got results that totally surpassed your expectations--

I'm considering doing a custom door panel mod in the SC to run 8's, 4's, and tweets in the doors-- The SC happens to have nearly unlimited mounting depth--

The little 7" ED subs are cool too, maybe even better for my application than the EHQS 8's they're selling, so my setup should get interesting--

BTW-- If I could afford some 7" revelators and some 4" revelators, I'd be all over them-- or a soft dome midrange with a 7" -- An 8 will fit but a 7 will integrate better into the oem door panel look without having to mod the panel too drastically--
Old 06-20-07, 05:44 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been out of car audio scene for so long. Some of those brands I've never even heard of. I've heard of Focal and Morel, more recently, Seas. The only reason I've heard of Seas is because it's what my friend runs in his car. Oh and yeah, his car sounds awesome.
Old 06-20-07, 06:25 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I've been spending a lot of time on DIYMA www.diymobileaudio.com

Great resources there, people are very friendly. I'm picking up my Revelators from a local member from there.

ICIX is also a good resource.

MJH, the revelators aeren't too bad. I'm getting them for a steal though. Check out madisound. I'd love to do a 3way setup and use these revs as a dedicated mid-bass, and then have something smaller for a midrange.. that would be sweet, imagine my front stage hitting 50hz at high volumes no problem... but I think with these revs I'll be somwhere at 70hz or so. Pretty decent I think

I'll post pics when I get them..
Old 06-20-07, 06:52 PM
FSUnoles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i 2nd the diymobile audio i spent a lot of time posting up trying to weed through all the mids and highs, i ended up going with a seas paper reed driver and a seas tweet, ill let you know how it sounds going active in my sc
Old 06-20-07, 07:02 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seas and ScanSpeak, as well as Vifa, Morel, Fostex, and many others make very good quality speakers many aren't familiar with--

Peerless also makes a very very nice comp set for mobile audio as well--

Here's a nice Vifa set-- really interesting-- Especially at $120 --

Old 06-22-07, 01:32 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

The revs are in. I think I'm gonna go with this tweeter:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=633

Heard great things about it.
Old 06-22-07, 08:21 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

^^and some people think Focal's tweeters are harsh, that's going back to like MB Quart days. i'm not a fan of dome tweeters, unless they are silk
Old 06-22-07, 12:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
The revs are in. I think I'm gonna go with this tweeter:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=633

Heard great things about it.
I just ordered a set today to go along with a set of peerless 5.25" mids (not as good as those revelators, but more in my budget)... I also ordered all the stuff to make some nice high end passive crossovers...
Old 06-22-07, 09:38 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Scan Speak or Morels.

Quick Reply: Help me Choose my New Front Stage